[comp.archives] [comp.protocols.nfs] nhfsstone, nfs load generating program, available via mail server

mojo@legato (Joseph Moran) (01/12/90)

Archive-name: nhfsstone/legato.com
Archive-site: request@legato.com
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <38810003@hpindda.HP.COM> uppal@hpindda.HP.COM (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
>Could  someone give me a pointer to the source code for this
>"Nhfsstone" program ? Is it proprietary or publicly available ?

"Nhfsstone" (pronounced n-f-s-stone, the "h" is silent) is a
copyrighted product of Legato Systems, Incorporated and is provided for
unrestricted use and distribution of the binary program derived from
it.

nhfsstone is a NFS load generating program.  It is used on an NFS client
to generate an artificial load with a particular mix of NFS operations.
It reports the average response time of the server in milliseconds per
call and the load in calls per second.  The program adjusts its calling
patterns based on the client's kernel NFS statistics and the elapsed
time.  Load can be generated over a given time or number of NFS calls.
The current version of the program can only be compiled on 4.x BSD
based UNIX systems.

To obtain the nhfsstone source shar file, send email to
"request@Legato.COM" or {sun,uunet}!legato!request.  The Subject line
and/or body of the message should have contain the command line:

	send unsupported nhfsstone

Note the exact spelling of "nhfsstone".  To issue delivery, you should
also add a line of the form:

	path <address>

where <address> is the preferred email address to use.  Generally,
using a domain-style email address works best.  A uucp path starting
with "sun!" or "uunet!" can also be used.

Joseph Moran
Legato Systems Inc.
260 Sheridan Avenue
Palo Alto, CA  94306