[comp.archives] BITNET Sources

kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (01/15/90)

comp.archives seemed the logical place for this.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.uu.net>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones

From: "Peter Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <uunet!PSUVM.PSU.EDU!PMW1>
To: kjones@talos.uu.NET
Subject: BITNET Sources
Date:    Sat, 13 Jan 90 10:13 EST

Dear Mr. Jones:

I ran across some references to sources available thru some servers at
BITNIC.bitnet.  I'm not sure if this list is an appropriate place for
me (or perhaps you), to post it.

I thought I would send it to you and let you decide since you seem to
know what's going on.
- -------
Peter M. Weiss                   |  (this line intentionally left blank)
31 Shields Bldg (the AIS people) | Don't FAX me, I'll FAX you!
University Park, PA 16802        | Disclaimer :1 * applies herein

I got this file by doing a CMS TELL LISTSERV AT BITNIC SEND BITNET SERVERS
I think you'll be interested in a service mentioned below call BITFTP.
Subsequently, I have issued a TELL BITFTP AT PUCC HELP and have appended
that to the end of the BITNET SERVERS.

  - - begin BITNET SERVERS - -

      _
     __-
    __---    The
   __-----   BITNET
  __-------  Services
 ___________ Library                                             BITNET SERVERS

								  October, 1989

 This is a  list of network  servers  and services.   If you   know of anything
 that should appear  in this list and  does not,   (or of something listed here
 that is no longer active) please send mail to BITLIB@YALEVM.

 This list is  updated monthly,   along  with  the  network  magazine NetMonth.
 If  you are not  familiar with the categories of services  listed here,  check
 for  the file named BITNET USERHELP in  your local  public file  area.  If you
 cannot find it there, you can request it from any of  the NETSERV file servers
 listed here.  For example:

 VM/CMS systems:   TELL NETSERV AT MARIST GET BITNET USERHELP
 VAX\VMS systems:  SEND NETSERV@BITNIC "GET BITNET USERHELP"

 You can also send the command GET BITNET USERHELP as the first line of  a mail
 message to one of the NETSERV servers.

 Editor:  Christopher Condon, BITLIB @ YALEVM

 A publication of the BITNET Services Library             "Because We're Here."

 A "|" in column 1 indicates something that is new or changed.

  *********
 *         *  File Servers
 *         *
 *         *  See also "NETSERV file servers" and "Listserv filelists"
 *         *
  *********

 ARCHIVE-SERVER @ BCM.TMC.EDU - Baylor College of Medicine

      This server  stores NFS  (Network File  System)  bulletins,   contributed
      software for NFS and UNISYS related files.  It accepts the commands HELP,
      INDEX, and SEND.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 ARCHIVE-SERVER @ DECWRL.DEC.COM - DECWRL archive server

      This  file  server stores  many interesting  programs and  recipes.  Each
      command you send ARCHIVE-SERVER  must  be the  first word on  a line in a
      mail file.   The archive server  reads your entire message before it does
      anything, so you can have several different commands in a single message.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 ARCHIVE-SERVER @ SUN.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU - Clarkson University

      This server offers  contributed LaTex and Postscript  files.   It accepts
      the commands HELP, INDEX, and SEND.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 ARCHIVE-SERVER @ TITAN.RICE.EDU - Rice University

      This server stores  sun-spots digests,  contributed and  software for SUN
      workstations.  It accepts the commands HELP, INDEX, and SEND.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

|ASTRADB @ ICNUCEVM - Istituto del C.N.R, Pisa
|
|     ASTRA (Application  Software and  Technical Reports  for Academia)   is a
|     joint project of IBM and CNR (the Italian National Research Council). The
|     aim  is to  design and  implement a  free European  service through  EARN
|     (European  Academic  and  Research  Network)   for  the  distribution  of
|     information,  software in public domain  and documentation about academic
|     projects in education and research.
|
|     To access ASTRA the user must apply  for a subscription.  This is done by
|     sending  the   following  command   "SUBSCRIBE  firstname   lastname"  to
|     ASTRADB@ICNUCEVM.
|
|     The user receives the software ASTRA EXEC and a guide manual file through
|     EARN.  The ASTRA EXEC has to be received by the user and must be resident
|     in the virtual  machine in order to  be able to access  ASTRA.  Note that
|     this EXEC only runs on IBM VM systems.
|
|     Accepts commands via MAIL or MESSAGE.

 BIALIK @ BRANDEIS - Brandeis University

      BIALIK is  the first BITNET  server dedicated  to the subject  of poetry.
      The three commands that BIALIK accepts are POEM,  INDEX,  and HELP.   All
      commands and qualifiers may be abbreviated to three letters.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 BIOSERVE @ UMDC - University of Maryland

      BIOSERVE is  a  network  file  server for   BIOSCIence  area.  Currently,
      previous  BIOTECH  bulletins,    SEQNET   bulletins  and  information  on
      plasmid sequences  are  stored  on  the  disk.   Public domain  data  and
      software in biotechnology  area will be  available  in future.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

|BITFTP @ PUCC - Princeton University
|
|     FTP (or File  Transfer Protocol)  is the Internet  method of transferring
|     non-mail files (be they text, formatted data, or programs). People on the
|     Internet can  "login" to  an FTP  server at  a remote  site and  download
|     files. The process is in many ways similar to dialing up a bulletin board
|     with a PC,  although it is thankfully much faster.   BITNET users can now
|     access these  FTP servers  through BITFTP.    To use  BITFTP,  send  mail
|     containing  your FTP  commands to  "BITFTP@PUCC".  The  first command  to
|     BITFTP must be "FTP" or "HELP".
|
|     Accepts commands via MAIL.

 BITSERVE @ CUNYVM - City University of New York

      The  server  machine BITSERVE has been  developed  by people at CUNYVM to
      perform  a number  of  services of general  use to the  BITNET community.
      BITSERVE gives  the user  access to  its own CMS files and files designed
      for BITSERVE in a VSAM database.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 CHESERVE @ UMDC - University of Maryland

      CHESERVE is a network file server dedicated to information concerning the
      Chesapeake Bay.  Currently, the server has on disk back issues of CHESNET
      bulletins, Marine Notes (a publication of Maryland Sea Grant),  It is the
      companion to CHESNET@UMDC,  an electonic bulletin board.   In the future,
      the server will also have on disk descriptions of important environmental
      data sets,  copies  of Maryland Sea Grant managed data  and and software,
      lists of experts in the many different aspects of the Chesapeake Bay, and
      other information.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 CCUC @ UMCVMB - University of Missouri

      CCUC stores the program library of Info-IBMPC digest.  It comes up once a
      day at 6am local time to  process requests.  Any requested files  will be
      sent  to you at that time.  To request a program or set of programs, send
      CCUC a file  named PCLIB REQ  containing  the filespec  of each  file you
      want, one per  line.  No wildcards are  allowed.  Both IBM-CMS and IBM-PC
      type  filespecs are  allowed  (i.e both COM_PKG1.ASM and COM_PKG1 ASM are
      valid). Each line is assumed to contain  a filespec, so please don't send
      mail or note type files! An up to date, commented list  of the Info-IBMPC
      library  files  is contained  in the file PROGRAM- LIS.  A CMS style file
      list which includes other vailable files and time/date stamps, is in CCUC
      FILELIST.

      Accepts commands via FILE.

 COMSERVE @ RPIECS - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

      COMSERVE  is  a  free  information  service  for  network  users  who are
      interested in the study of human communication.  You can use COMSERVE  to
      obtain materials to assist in teaching and learning activities; to  share
      opinions  or  questions  with  students  and professionals throughout the
      world; to  locate information  about people  in the  profession; to share
      your own  work; to  request information  or resources  from others; or to
      advertise services or events of interest to the communication discipline.
      COMSERVE is intended for use by both students and professionals.

      At the present time Comserve offers four principal areas of service:

      (1) An electronic  "white pages" for  individuals sharing an  interest in
	  communication studies.  Create your own entry or search for others.

      (2) A suite of  20 "hotlines"  providing discussion  in  the  traditional
	  divisions of the communication curriculum.  Experience a real "expert
	  system" -- one that  puts  you  in  touch  with  disciplinary experts
	  throughout the world.

      (3) A database  of  more than  800 files.   Comserve maintains  a growing
	  collection of bibliographies, research instruments, announcements  of
	  professional  meetings  and   grant  opportunities,  syllabi,   class
	  exercises, job announcements, and other resources of relevance to the
	  field of communication studies, broadly defined.

      (4) A system  for  electronically searching  indexes of  the discipline's
	  research journals.  Search the indexes of specific journals by author
	  or title.  Formatted bibliographic results are returned immediately.

      An interface program named EASYCOM is  available for Dec Vax and IBM  CMS
      users and an extensive user's guide is available from Comserve's  support
      staff.

      Accepts commands via MAIL, MESSAGE and FILE.

|CYBSERV @ TRBOUN - Bosphorus University, Istanbul

      This server stores files of particular interest to Cyber sites. Each line
      of a mail message to CYBSERV may be a command.   Send it the HELP command
      for more information.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 DATABASE @ BITNIC - BITNET Network Information Center

      This Inter-network database server is a BITNET data repository run by the
      Development  and Operations Center (BITDOC) of  BITNET.  Send it the HELP
      command for information.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 INFO @ NSF - National Science Foundation

      The NSF information server is run by the National Science Foundation. For
      more information send the following two lines to INFO:

	   Request: Info
	   Topic: Help

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 INFO-SERVER @ SH.CS.NET - CSNET file server

      The CSNET server is run by the CSNET Network Information Center. For more
      information send the following two lines to INFO-SERVER:

	   Request: Info
	   Topic: Help

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 INFO-SERVER @ CS.NOTT.AC.UK - Nottingham Information Server

      The Nottingham  server stores various interesting files and some software
      archives.  For information send the command HELP to the server.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 INTERACT @ DTUPEV5A - Theoretische Astrophysik Universitaet Tuebingen

      INTERACT is  a file server storing  software for VAX/VMS sites  which use
      the JNET interface to BITNET.  Users should note that the packages stored
      on INTERACT require system privileges.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 ISERVE @ UWAEE - University of Washington

      Isaac is the Information System for Advanced Academic Computing. Isaac is
      funded by IBM to serve as a clearinghouse for  information about  the use
      of IBM computers and compatible  software  as  aids  to  instruction  and
      research in higher education. Access is open to all faculty, students and
      staff at institutions of higher education and to members of participating
      professional societies.

      While access  to Isaac  is free, you must apply for access using the form
      listed here. Note that both PC/modem dial-up access and BITNET access are
      available. BITNET access is specific to your userid.  Using Isaac through
      the PC  is much  faster and  more interactive,  but if you don't have the
      equipment, BITNET access is possible.   You must apply for access:

      Complete this application and mail it to ISAAC@UWAEE. User materials will
      be mailed to you.  This may take two to three weeks.

      1. Name
      2. Address, City, State, Zip
      3. Phone: (w)  Please include area code.
      4. University
      5. Your BITNET address
      6. You  may connect to Isaac in  two ways.  Each method requires separate
      authorization.  Please indicate which method(s) you would like to use. If
      you  choose  modem  access, we will  provide the  communications software
      you'll need.

      * IBM PC, XT, AT or compatible and a modem. (US except WA) Please specify
      diskette size 5-1/4 or 3-1/2

      * BITNET. (You must include your BITNET address above.)

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 KERMSRV @ CUVMA - Kermit Users Server, Columbia University

      KERMSRV is a file server for users of the popular KERMIT  Micro/Mainframe
      software package.   Versions  of  the software  for a variety of hardware
      types are available.  Note that  this server does not respond in the same
      way as the KERMIT server at UOFT02.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 KERMSRV @ UOFT02 - Kermit Users Server, University of Toledo

      KERMSRV is a file server for users of the popular KERMIT  Micro/Mainframe
      software package.   Versions  of  the software  for a variety of hardware
      types  are available.  Note that this  server does not repond in the same
      way as the KERMIT server at CUVMA.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 LISTSERV @ QUCDN - Queen's University

      Studies  in  Communication  and  Information  Technology  (SCIT)   is  an
      interdisciplinary group at Queen's Univeristy in Kingston, Ontario, which
      is involved  in promoting  research and  teaching related  to the  social
      impacts  of  the  new  information  and  communication  technology.    In
      addition, a central activity of the group is the management of an on-line
      bibliographic service  which contains close  to 6,000  references dealing
      with  the social  context of  the new  technology.   To  access the  SCIT
      database through BITNET,  the user must first subscribe to the particular
      database called  SCIT-BIB.   To  do this  send the  following command  to
      LISTSERV@QUCDN via mail or message:

	   SUBSCRIBE SCIT-BIB your_full_name

      You will receive acknowledgement in about a day, confirming your addition
      to the SCIT-BIB  database.   Once you are subscribed,  you may access the
      database  at   your  convenience.    You   must  send  SCIT   queries  to
      LISTSERV@QUCDN via mail.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 LISTSERV @ NDSUVM1  - North Dakota State University
 LISTSERV @ RPIECS   - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

      Selected  portions of the SIMTEL20 Internet public  domain  archives  are
      available from LISTSERV@RPIECS and LISTSERV@NDSUVM1. These are:

	   PD:<CPM.*>        -- Info-CPM software archives.
	   PD:<SIGM.*>*.*    -- SIG/M software archives.
	   PD:<PC-BLUE.*>*.* -- PC-Blue software archives.
	   PD:<MSDOS.*>*.*   -- IBM PC (and friends) software archives.
	   PD:<MISC.*>*.*    -- Miscellaneous software archives.

      New  commands  have  been  added to  this list  server so  that  you  may
      retrieve these files.  The /PDDIR command is used to list  the  names  of
      files that match  some pattern.  The /PDGET  command is  used to  request
      specific files.  Commands should be sent to either LISTSERV.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 LOTTERY @ DRYCAS - Carnegie Mellon University

      Here  is a  game server  for those  of you  with nothing  better  to  try.
      LOTTERY is  running a special lottery-type  game available to  all BITNET
      users who  can send  interactive messages.   It allows  users to  bet any
      number of points (up to their maximum, which starts at 2000) and they can
      then win in three different ways.  Anybody interested in finding out more
      can send a message to LOTTERY with the command INFO.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 MACSERVE @ IRLEARN - University College, Dublin
 MACSERVE @ PUCC    - Princeton University

      MACSERVE is a Macintosh software repository,  containing many  utilities,
      games, notes, and graphic items of interest for Macintosh users.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 NBSLIB @ CMR.ICST.NBS.GOV -  National Bureau of Standards

      The  NBSLIB is  a collection  of  benchmarks,  measurement  data,  and  a
      bibliography on  benchmarking maintained at NBS  as part of a  project on
      the performance measurement of parallel computers.  The collection exists
      to provide  a pool  of measurement data  and benchmarks  on more  or less
      "large" computers.    For more  information on  how to  send commands  to
      NBSLIB, send the following command as the first line of a mail message:

	   SEND DOC FROM INFO

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 NETLIB @ RESEARCH.UUCP    - AT&T Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ
 NETLIB @ RESEARCH.ATT.COM - AT&T Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ

      This file server stores much mathematical software and is closely related
      to Gene  Golub's Numerical  Analysus Newsgroup (GOLUB@SU-SCORE.ARPA).  To
      receive information mail the following command  to NETLIB: SEND INDEX.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 NEWS-ARCHIVE @ SUN.COM - Sun Microsystems

      The  NeWS Archive  Server at  Sun  Microsystems stores  many programs  of
      interest to people in the UNIX world.   The archives are organized into a
      series of directories and subdirectories.    Each directory has an index,
      as does each subdirectory.   The top-level index gives you an overview of
      what  is  in  each  of  the  subdirectories,   and  the  index  for  each
      subdirectory tells you what it contains.   For more information, send the
      server the command HELP.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 NYSHARE @ WEIZMANN - Weizmann Institute of Science

      NYSHARE  stores many useful software packages.  Valid commands are  HELP,
      LISTPACK, and SENDME.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 OASIS @ ECNCDC - OASIS Database Server, Educational Computing Network

      OASIS (Online Academic Software Information System) is a database server
      containing  information  on  microcomputer  software  suited  for use in
      higher  education.    It  is  a  project  of  the  Illinois  Educational
      Consortium.

      Searches may be conducted using up to 16 criteria, such as package name,
      category, machine requirements, pricing, and publisher name and address.
      Entries  consist  of  a  concise description, review citations, and data
      that is important in determining the value of software  products.    All
      information   on  software  products  is  obtained  from  publishers  or
      developers.  The database is updated and expanded with new entries on  a
      weekly  schedule.    For  more  information, send the server the command
      HELP.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 RPRLSCI @ TECHNION - the Technion, Israel

      LifeSci is the  The Life Science Research Server,  a server  developed at
      the Rappaport  Family  Institute and running  on the main computer at the
      Technion, Israel.  Its  purpose is to enhance communication among  people
      in the life related fields (medicine, physiology, psychology, social work
      etc..).   For a list of LifeSci commands,   send the HELP LIST command to
      RPRLSCI@TECHNION.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 SERVICE @ SRI-NIC.ARPA - United States Data Defense Network

      This  is an automated  service provided  by the  DDN  Network Information
      Center.  It allows  access to NIC documents and  information via ordinary
      electronic mail. For more information send a mail message to SERVICE with
      a subject of HELP.  The message body will be ignored.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 TRICKLE @ AWIWUW11 - Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien
 TRICKLE @ DB0FUB11 - FU Berlin Institut fuer angewandte Statistik
 TRICKLE @ DKTC11   - Copenhagen Technical College
|TRICKLE @ DTUZDV1  - Universitaet Tuebingen
|TRICKLE @ EB0UB011 - Universidad de Barcelona
 TRICKLE @ TREARN   - Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
 TRICKLE @ BANUFS11 - Univ. Faculteiten Sint-Ignatius te Antwerpen, Belgium
 TRICKLE @ IMIPOLI  - Centro di Calcolo - Politecnico di Milano, Italy

      TRICKLE provides the directory listings and recently requested files from
      the SIMTEL20 personal  computer software archives.  If the  file that you
      request exists in the TRICKLE directory,   then you may expect to receive
      your file within a few minutes. If the file is not found, the server will
      order  it from  LISTSERV@RPIECS.  If this is the case,  the response time
      of  TRICKLE is  dependent upon  the list  server.  TRICKLE  will give  up
      waiting  for  a file  after  five  days  after  its request.    For  more
      information send TRICKLE the /HELP command.

      *NOTE* Users in the United States, Canada,  Japan,  and Mexico should not
      use this server. LISTSERV@RPIECS is your SIMTEL20 server of choice.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 UH-INFO @ UHUPVM1 - University of Houston Computing Center

      The UH-INFO server stores files on a variety of  topics, organized  under
      subservers.   For example,  the  Psychology  subserver is named PSYCHNET.
      A HELP command to the PSYCHNET  subserver  would be sent  to UH-INFO, but
      would be in the format PSYCHNET HELP.

      Subservers - EDUCATE   - Seminar Listings
		   ATARINET  - Atari Computer Enthusiasts
		   INFOSERV  - Documentation/Publications
		   PSYCHNET  - Psychology

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 UMNEWS @ MAINE - University of Maine

      UMNEWS offers the following services:

      1. Interactive maintenance of the BITNAUTS LIST, a BITNET user list

      2. A  bulletin  board/discussion system which allows  BITNET and Internet
      users to subscribe to and post to over one hundred topics.   Any user may
      create a new topic at any time.

      3. Access to hundreds of public information files and programs on several
      disks.   Some  of the  disks include  the COMDISK  (public domain  VM/CMS
      programs),  PUBLIC  (BITNAUTS LIST  and general  information),  MAGAZINES
      (many  electronic magazines  and digests),   and  AMIGA (information  and
      programs for Commodore Amiga users).

      4. A list  of logged on interactive BITNET users.   This list may be used
      to locate new BITNET contacts,  or to verify that a user is willing to be
      contacted.

      Accepts commands via MAIL, MESSAGE, and FILE.

 VMBBOARD @ WEIZMANN - Weizmann Institute of Science

      VMBBOARD  is an  electronic  database/bulletin  board  storing  items  of
      general interest.  Topics range from Politics to Good Movies.

      Accepts commands via MESSAGE.

 VMSSERV @ UBVMSA   - State University of New York, Buffalo
 VMSSERV @ UBVMSB   - State University of New York, Buffalo
 VMSSERV @ UBVMSC   - State University of New York, Buffalo
 VMSSERV @ UBVMSD   - State University of New York, Buffalo
 VMSSERV @ SPCVXA   - St. Peter's College, Jersey City, New Jersey
 VMSSERV @ TOWSON2  - Towson State University, Towson, Maryland
 VMSSERV @ UOFT02   - University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
 VMSSERV @ FHCRCVAX - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

      VMSSERV contains  many files of interest  for users of Digital  Equipment
      VAX computers.  It accepts the commands SEND, DIR and HELP.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 WRL-TECHREPORTS @ DECWRL.DEC.COM - DEC Western Research Lab

      This server stores abstracts of technical reports and complete reports in
      postscript  format.  It  also  allows  you to  add  your  address to  the
      technical reports mailing  list and order hardcopy  reports.   It accepts
      the commands HELP, INDEX, SEND, ORDER, and STATUS.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

 107633 @ DOLUNI1 - CHAMAS, The Chaos Mailbox System

      CHAMAS (the  Chaos Mailbox System)   is a  bulletin board which  has been
      running at  Universitaet Oldenburg since  April,  1988.  It  supports the
      GEONET-standard,  developed  previously for the  GEO1-Mailbox.   Commands
      should be sent  to 107633@DOLUNI1.  The first command you  send should be
      HELPME, which can be sent via mail or message.  You will then be prompted
      to specify the language (English, French, etc.) which you will be sending
      commands to  CHAMAS.  You  can then send  the command CMD  for a  list of
      commands. Note that most news items are written in German.

      Accepts commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

  *********
 *         *  NETSERV file servers/user directory servers
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********

 All NETSERV file servers accept commands via MAIL or MESSAGE.

 NETSERV @ AEARN    - Austria EARN - Linz
 NETSERV @ BEARN    - National Scientific Research Fund, Brussels
 NETSERV @ BITNIC   - BITNET Network Information Center
 NETSERV @ CANADA01 - NetNorth Admin Centre
 NETSERV @ CEARN    - Centre Europeen de Recherche Nucleaire
 NETSERV @ DEARN    - German central node of EARN - Bonn
 NETSERV @ EB0UB011 - Universidad de Barcelona
 NETSERV @ FINHUT   - Helsinki University of Technology
 NETSERV @ FRMOP11  - CNUSC, Montpellier
 NETSERV @ GREARN   - Research Center of Crete - Heraklion
 NETSERV @ HEARN    - Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen
 NETSERV @ ICNUCEVM - National University, Pisa
 NETSERV @ IRLEARN  - University College - Dublin
 NETSERV @ NORUNIT  - University of Trondheim
 NETSERV @ MARIST   - Marist College
 NETSERV @ SEARN    - Sweden EARN - Stockholm
 NETSERV @ TAUNIVM  - Tel Aviv University
 NETSERV @ TCSVM    - Tulane University
 NETSERV @ TREARN   - Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
 NETSERV @ UALTAVM  - University of Alberta
 NETSERV @ UCBCMSA  - University of California at Berkeley
 NETSERV @ UICVM    - University of Illinois - Chicago
 NETSERV @ UKACRL   - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory - UK EARN

  *********
 *         *  User Directory Servers
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********                                                Accepts commands via
							   --------------------

 BITSERVE @ CUNYVM   - City University of New York         MESSAGE
 UMNEWS   @ MAINE    - University of Maine                 MESSAGE
 COMSERVE @ RPIECS   - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    MAIL or MESSAGE
 DATABASE @ BITNIC   - BITNET Network Information Center   MAIL or MESSAGE
 FINGER   @ CUVMA    - Columbia University                 MESSAGE
 FINGER   @ NDSUVM1  - North Dakota State University       MESSAGE
 FINGER   @ SPCVXA   - Saint Peter's College               MESSAGE
 IDSERVER @ PSUVM    - Pennsylvania State University       MESSAGE
 INFO     @ IRUCCIBM - Cork University                     MAIL
 INFO     @ RITVAXD  - Rochester Institute of Technology   MESSAGE
 LOOKUP   @ RITVM    - Rochester Institute of Technology   MESSAGE
 PHSERVE  @ UIUCVMD  - University of Illinois              MAIL or MESSAGE
 NAMESERV @ DREW     - Drew University                     MAIL or MESSAGE
 NAMESERV @ UNCAMULT - University of Calgary               MAIL
|QNAMES   @ BANUFS11 - University of Antwerp               MESSAGE
 UTSERVER @ UTKVM1   - University of Tennessee             MESSAGE
 VMNAMES  @ UREGINA1 - University of Regina                MESSAGE
 VMNAMES  @ WEIZMANN - Weizmann Institute of Science       MESSAGE
 WHOIS    @ ALBNYVM1 - State University of New York        MAIL or MESSAGE
 WHOIS    @ UKCC     - University of Kentucky              MAIL or MESSAGE

 LISTSERVs which will accept the /WHOIS command:           MAIL or MESSAGE

 LISTSERV @ AUVM     - American University
 LISTSERV @ BUACCA   - Boston University
 LISTSERV @ CEARN    - Centre Europeen de Recherche Nucleaire
 LISTSERV @ CMUCCVMA - Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
 LISTSERV @ DBNGMD12 - GMD Bonn, Germany
 LISTSERV @ DEARN    - GMD Bonn, Germany
 LISTSERV @ ESOC     - European Space Operations Center
 LISTSERV @ FARMNTON - University of Maine, Farmington
 LISTSERV @ IBACSATA - CSATA Ctr Studi Applic in Tec Avanzate
 LISTSERV @ LEHIIBM1 - Lehigh University
 LISTSERV @ MAINE    - University of Maine
 LISTSERV @ MARIST   - Marist College
 LISTSERV @ OREGON1  - University of Oregon
 LISTSERV @ PORTLAND - Univeristy of Maine, Portland
 LISTSERV @ RICE     - Rice University
 LISTSERV @ RITVM    - RITISC
 LISTSERV @ SBCCVM   - State University of New York - Stonybrook
 LISTSERV @ SCFVM    - NASA Space and Earth Sciences Computer Center
 LISTSERV @ TECMTYVM - Monterrey Institute of Technology
 LISTSERV @ UALTAVM  - University of Alberta
 LISTSERV @ UBVM     - State University of New York at Buffalo
 LISTSERV @ UCF1VM   - University of Central Florida
 LISTSERV @ UGA      - University of Georgia
 LISTSERV @ UKANVM   - University of Kansas
 LISTSERV @ YALEVM   - Yale University

  *********
 *         *  List servers
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********

 All LISTSERVs accept commands via MAIL and MESSAGE.

 LISTSERV @ AKRONVM  - The University of Akron
 LISTSERV @ ALBNYVM1 - University of Albany
 LISTSERV @ ASUACAD  - Arizona State University
 LISTSERV @ AUVM     - American University
 LISTSERV @ AWIIMC11 - Institut fuer Medizinische Computerwissenschaften
 LISTSERV @ BARILVM  - Bar-Ilan University
 LISTSERV @ BEARN    - National Scientific Research Fund
 LISTSERV @ BINGVMB  - State University of New York at Binghamton
 LISTSERV @ BITNIC   - BITNET Network Information Center
 LISTSERV @ BLEKUL11 - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
 LISTSERV @ BNANDP11 - Facultes Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix
 LISTSERV @ BNLVMA   - Brookhaven National Laboratory
 LISTSERV @ BROWNVM  - Brown University
 LISTSERV @ BUACCA   - Boston University
 LISTSERV @ BYUADMIN - Brigham Young University
 LISTSERV @ BYULIB   - Brigham Young University
 LISTSERV @ CANADA01 - NetNorth Admin Centre
 LISTSERV @ CEARN    - European Organisation for Nuclear Research
 LISTSERV @ CLVM     - Clarkson University Schuler Resouces Center
 LISTSERV @ CMUCCVMA - Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
 LISTSERV @ CUNYVM   - City University of New York
 LISTSERV @ CUVMA    - Columbia University
 LISTSERV @ DBNGMD12 - GMD Bonn, Germany
 LISTSERV @ DB0TUI11 - Technical University Berlin
 LISTSERV @ DEARN    - GMD Bonn, Germany
 LISTSERV @ DHDURZ1  - University of Heidelberg
 LISTSERV @ DKAUNI11 - Universitaet Karlsruhe
 LISTSERV @ EB0UB011 - Centre d'Informatica de la Universitat de Barcelona
 LISTSERV @ EB0UB012 - Centre d'Informatica de la Universitat de Barcelona
 LISTSERV @ ECUVM1   - East Carolina University
 LISTSERV @ ESOC     - European Space Operations Centre
 LISTSERV @ FARMNTON - University of Maine
 LISTSERV @ FINHUTC  - Helsinki University of Technology
 LISTSERV @ FRECP11  - Ecole Centrale de Paris
 LISTSERV @ FRULM11  - Ecole Normale Superieure
 LISTSERV @ GECRDVM1 - General Electric Corporate R&D
 LISTSERV @ GITVM1   - Georgia Inst of Technology
 LISTSERV @ HEARN    - Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen
 LISTSERV @ IBACSATA - CSATA Centro Studi Applicazioni in Tecnologie Avanza
 LISTSERV @ ICNUCEVM - CNUCE Istituto del CNR
 LISTSERV @ IRISHVM  - University of Notre Dame
 LISTSERV @ IRLEARN  - University College Dublin
 LISTSERV @ JHUVM    - Johns Hopkins University
 LISTSERV @ JPNSUT10 - Science University of Tokyo
 LISTSERV @ JPNSUT30 - Science University of Tokyo
 LISTSERV @ KSUVM    - Kansas State University
 LISTSERV @ LEHIIBM1 - Lehigh University
 LISTSERV @ MAINE    - University of Maine System
 LISTSERV @ MITVMA   - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
 LISTSERV @ NCSUVM   - North Carolina State University
 LISTSERV @ NDSUVM1  - North Dakota Higher Education Computer Network
 LISTSERV @ NEUVM1   - UNI-C Lyngby
 LISTSERV @ OHSTVMA  - Ohio State University
 LISTSERV @ OREGON1  - University of Oregon
 LISTSERV @ ORION    - NJIT Computer Conferencing Center
 LISTSERV @ POLYGRAF - Polytechnic University
 LISTSERV @ PORTLAND - University of Maine
 LISTSERV @ PSUVM    - Pennsylvania State University
 LISTSERV @ PUCC     - Princeton University
 LISTSERV @ PURCCVM  - Purdue University
 LISTSERV @ QUCDN    - Queen's University Computing Services
 LISTSERV @ QUEENS   - Queens College of CUNY
 LISTSERV @ RICE     - Rice University
 LISTSERV @ RICECSVM - Rice University
 LISTSERV @ RITVM    - Rochester Institute of Technology
 LISTSERV @ RPIECS   - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
 LISTSERV @ RUTVM1   - Rutgers University
 LISTSERV @ SBCCVM   - State University of New York at Stony Brook
 LISTSERV @ SCFVM    - NASA Space and Earth Sciences Computing Center
 LISTSERV @ SLACVM   - Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
 LISTSERV @ SUVM     - Syracuse University
 LISTSERV @ TAMCBA   - Texas A&M College of Business Administration
 LISTSERV @ TAMVM1   - Texas A&M University Computing Services Center
 LISTSERV @ TAUNIVM  - Tel Aviv University
 LISTSERV @ TCSVM    - Tulane University
 LISTSERV @ TECMTYVM - Monterrey Institute of Technology
 LISTSERV @ TREARN   - Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
 LISTSERV @ TRINITY  - Trinity University
 LISTSERV @ UAFSYSB  - University of Arkansas Main Campus
 LISTSERV @ UALTAVM  - University of Alberta
 LISTSERV @ UA1VM    - The University of Alabama
 LISTSERV @ UGA      - The University of Georgia
 LISTSERV @ UGABUS   - The University of Georgia
|LISTSERV @ UHCCVM   - University of Hawaii
 LISTSERV @ UIUCVMD  - University of Illinois
 LISTSERV @ UKACRL   - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
 LISTSERV @ UKANVM   - University of Kansas
 LISTSERV @ UMSLVMA  - University of Missouri
 LISTSERV @ UOGUELPH - University of Guelph
 LISTSERV @ UOTTAWA  - University of Ottawa
 LISTSERV @ UREGINA1 - University of Regina
 LISTSERV @ USCVM    - University of Southern California
 LISTSERV @ UTARLVM1 - University of Texas at Arlington
 LISTSERV @ UTCVM    - University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
 LISTSERV @ UTDALVM1 - The University of Texas at Dallas
 LISTSERV @ UTORONTO - University of Toronto Computing Services
 LISTSERV @ UWAVM    - University of Washington
 LISTSERV @ VILLVM   - Villanova University
 LISTSERV @ VTVM1    - Virginia Polytechnic
 LISTSERV @ VTVM2    - Virginia Polytechnic
 LISTSERV @ WATDCS   - University of Waterloo
 LISTSERV @ WSUVM1   - Washington State University, Pullman, WA
 LISTSERV @ WUVMD    - Washington University
 LISTSERV @ WVNVM    - West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing
 LISTSERV @ YALEVM   - Yale University Computer Center

 DIRECT   @ QZCOM    - remote mail directory service

      This  service allows you  to send ordinary mail  messages  to QZCOM  with
      commands in the message text in  order to search  for the  names of users
      and distribution lists in QZCOM;  find descriptions and other information
      about users and conferences; add and  remove yourself from conferences in
      QZCOM.  When you add yourself to a conference, messages entered into that
      conference will be sent by electronic mail to your mailbox.

      Send your command  messages  DIRECT@QZCOM (for the English  language  COM
      system at QZ) or to DIRECT@QZKOM (for the Swedish  language KOM system at
      QZ).  Send the command  HELP for more information on the various commands
      and their syntax.  Please note that  THERE IS A CHARGE for subscribing to
      conferences in QZCOM and having them sent to you.

      Accepts commands via MAIL.

  *********
 *         *  Listserv filelists
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********

 All  LISTSERV list servers  also act  as  file servers.  Files are  stored  in
 subdirectories  known  as  FILELISTS.  Listed  here  are  public  filelists of
 interest  to the BITNET community.  Please  note that in  order to  save space
 many filelists are not noted here.  These are:

 1. Filelists which are common to ALL Listservs (CONTROL, INFO, TOOLS, etc.)
 2. Filelists which store the archives of mailing lists  (if you are interested
    in this, you are on the mailing list, so you know where the archives are).

 All LISTSERVs accept commands via MAIL or MESSAGE.

 Listserv              Filelist   Description
 -------------------   --------   ---------------------------------------------

 LISTSERV @ BITNIC     CCNEWS     CCNEWS magazine & contributed article archive
		       NETINFO    BITNIC Information repository
 LISTSERV @ BYUADMIN   HELPCONV   HELPCONV software package
 LISTSERV @ CANADA01   REXX       REXX pre-parser code
 LISTSERV @ CMUCCVMA   PCIP       PCIP package
 LISTSERV @ CUVMA      MAILDIST   Columbia MAILER Distribution
 LISTSERV @ DB0TUI11   M2CMS      List of M2/CMS files
		       INFOM2     List of files
		       VMSOFT     List of VMSOFT files
 LISTSERV @ DHDURZ1    DRIVER     TeX Driver Family
		       TEXTOOLS   TeX-Tools written from TeX-Users
 LISTSERV @ DEARN      VM-UTIL    VM system Utilities
 LISTSERV @ HEARN      KERMIT     Kermit files
		       POLYMERP   Polymer Physics database
 LISTSERV @ DKAUNI11   KOMET      Files for KOMET members
 LISTSERV @ IBACSATA   CSATA      List of documents available at CSATA
		       CSATADOC   PUBLIC DISC Localnet
 LISTSERV @ FINHUTC    DOCUMENT   Documents, info, reports, essays etc
		       PICTURE    CAE pictures & listings in many formats
		       UTIL       All kinds of utilities from everywhere
		       VMPDSOFT   Public Domain VM/SP software
 LISTSERV @ FRECP11    LOCSOFT    Software products written at FRECP11
 LISTSERV @ HDCTUD1    BILLING    Computer resource chargeback
 LISTSERV @ MARIST     MRTOOLS    Software tools
		       VM-UTIL    VM system Utilities
 LISTSERV @ NDSUVM1    MINIX      MINIX File Server
 LISTSERV @ POLYGRAF   REXXCOMP   Rexx Compiler List
 LISTSERV @ PSUVM      REXXCOMP   Rexx Compiler package
		       RXKNET     Rexx Knet Interface
 LISTSERV @ PUCC       COCO       Tandy Color Computer files
		       OS9        Tandy OS9 operating system
|LISTSERV @ RPIECS     PCSERV-L   PC software
 LISTSERV @ TAMVM1     CHINANET   CHINANet information
		       TEX        TeX-related files
 LISTSERV @ RICE       MAC-ARCH   Macintosh software repository
 LISTSERV @ RUTVM1     POLYMERP   Polymer Physics database
		       PUBLIC     Public Files - miscellaneous
 LISTSERV @ TCSVM      TCSSERVE   The TCS server files
 LISTSERV @ TECMTYVM   VM-UTIL    VM system Utilities
 LISTSERV @ UBVM       RFC        Request For Comments
		       VMS        VAX/VMS public comain utilities
		       VM-UTIL    VM system Utilities
 LISTSERV @ UGA        PCSOFT     IBM PC Public Domain Software
 LISTSERV @ UTARLVM1   VM-UTIL    VM system Utilities
 LISTSERV @ UTCVM      UTCSERVE   The UTC server files

  *********
 *         *  The Relay conference machine network
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********

 To find out  which Relay you should use, send the /SERVERS command to a nearby
 Relay. You must send commands to RELAY via MESSAGE.

 MASRELAY @ UBVM     - University of Buffalo
 RELAY    @ AEARN    - Austrian EARN node at Linz
 RELAY    @ BEARN    - National Scientific Research Fund, Brussels, Belgium
 RELAY    @ BITNIC   - BITNET Network Information Center
 RELAY    @ BLEKUL11 - Katholieke Universiteit, Belgium
 RELAY    @ BNANDP10 - Facultes Universaires N.D de la Paix
 RELAY    @ CANADA01 - NetNorth Admin Centre
 RELAY    @ CEARN    - Centre Europeen de Recherche Nucleaire
 RELAY    @ CLVM     - Clarkson University
 RELAY    @ CMUCCVMA - Carnegie-Mellon University
 RELAY    @ CZHRZU1A - Zurich University
 RELAY    @ DEARN    - German central node of EARN at Bonn
 RELAY    @ DKTC11   - Copenhagen Technical College
 RELAY    @ EB0UB011 - Universidad Barcelona
 RELAY    @ FINHUTC  - Helsinki University of Technology
 RELAY    @ FRECP11  - Ecole Centrale de Paris
 RELAY    @ FRHEC11  - Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales
 RELAY    @ GITVM1   - Georgia Institute of Technology
 RELAY    @ HEARN    - Katholieke Universiteit, Nijmegen
 RELAY    @ JPNSUT10 - Science University of Tokyo
 RELAY    @ NDSUVM1  - North Dakota Higher Education Computer Network
 RELAY    @ NYUCCVM  - New York University
 RELAY    @ ORION    - New Jersey Institute of Technology
 RELAY    @ PURCCVM  - Purdue University
 RELAY    @ TAMVM1   - Texas A&M University
 RELAY    @ TAUNIVM  - Tel Aviv University
 RELAY    @ TECMTYVM - Monterrey Institute of Technology
 RELAY    @ UALTAVM  - University of Alberta
 RELAY    @ UCSVM    - Columbia University
 RELAY    @ UREGINA1 - University of Regina
 RELAY    @ UTCVM    - University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
 RELAY    @ UWAVM    - University of Washington
 RELAY    @ UWF      - Univeristy of West Florida
 RELAY    @ VTVM2    - Virginia Polytechnic
 RELAY    @ VILLVM   - Villanova University
 RELAY    @ VTVM2    - Virginia Polytechnic
 RELAY    @ WATDCS   - University of Waterloo
 RELAY    @ YALEVM   - Yale University Computer Center
 RLY      @ CORNELLC - Cornell University

  *********
 *         *  Electronic magazines
 *         *
 *         *
 *         *
  *********

 AIR

      AIR is a newsletter for people interested in  institutional research  and
      planning  analysis.   For  a  subscription,  send  mail  to  John  Muffo,
      IRMUFFO@VTVM1.

 Athene

      Athene is a free network "magazine" devoted to amateur fiction written by
      the members of the online community.  Athene does not limit itself to any
      specific genre,  but will publish quality short stories dealing with just
      about any interesting topic, including:

		       science fiction   fantasy
		       religion          mystery
		       computers         humor
		       psychology        sports
		       politics          business

|     To  subscribe, mail a request to  Jim McCabe, MCCABE@MTUS5.  Be  sure to
|     mention if you want it in ASCII or Postscript.

 BioSphere Newsletter

      BioSphere newsletter may be of interest for those of you concerned  about
      the  problems  facing our  environment.  To get a subscription, send this
      command  to LISTSERV@UBVM:  SUB BIOSPH-L your_full_name.  Back  issues of
      the magazine are  available from the server UMNEWS@MAINE (on the MAGAZINE
      disk).

 CCNEWS

      CCNEWS  is  a weekly  electronic  magazine  for campus  computing  center
      newsletter editors.   In it  they discuss  common interests  and concerns
      about delivery of news and information. These include desktop publishing,
      printing,  operational aspects of  developing newsletters,  writing,  and
      computing-related issues relevant to  campus computing center information
      dissemination.  The  archive  of CCNEWS  also  includes the  full text of
      contributed articles from campus computing newsletters and other sources.

      You can subscribe to CCNEWS magazine by sending  the command:  SUB CCNEWS
      Your_Full_Name - Institution to LISTSERV@BITNIC.

 CLASS FOUR

      CLASS FOUR is intended to be  edited by,  and in the large to  be written
      junior Relay operators.   News and information  of interest  to the Relay
      user  community are  presented in a concise  format.  If  you are a Relay
      operator,  you can receive a  subscription by  subscribing to the mailing
      list RELAY-L@UTCVM.  If you are NOT a Relay operator,  you can  subscribe
      to LISTSERV@UTCVM via mail or message:

	   SUBSCRIBE RELAY-L  your_full_name

       For RELUSR-L, send this to LISTSERV@NDSUVM1:

	   SUBSCRIBE RELUSR-L your_full_name

      Note that these mailing lists are open forums.  CLASS FOUR is distributed
      to them periodicly.

 DargonZine

      DargonZine is a  magazine which  continues the  science fiction / fantasy
      writing project begun in the (now defunct) FSFNET magazine.  To subscribe
      send a request to John White, WHITE@DUVM.

 DISTED

      The  On-Line  Journal  of Distance  Education  and Communication  Special
      Interest Group has two  primaray  concerns:  First, it  is concerned with
      distance education as  the organized  method of  reaching  geographically
      disadvantaged learners.  Second,  the Journal is  interested in  projects
      concerned with overcoming cultural barriers through the use of electronic
      communication.  To  subscribe, send  the  this command  to LISTSERV@UWAVM
      via mail or message:  SUB DISTED your_full_name

 JBH Online

      English language news broadcasts from  overseas,  monitored via shortwave
      radio in  South Bend,   Indiana,  are  accessible in  digest form  to all
      interested parties through electronic mail.   The digest, JBH Online,  is
      produced weekday mornings by John Harlan.  JBH Online is distributed free
      of  charge  to   recipients  at  academic  institutions   nationally  and
      internationally via BITNET.   To be added to the distribution  list, send
      the following  command to  LISTSERV@IRLEARN  via  mail  or  message:  SUB
      ONLINE-L your_full_name.

|International Intercultural Newsletter
|
|     XCULT-L  is   an  international   intercultural  newsletter   written  by
|     undergraduate  and graduate  students at  Penn State  University who  are
|     enrolled in Speech Communication 497B: Cross-cultural Communication. Each
|     week,  students write on a topic  being discussed in class.  Topics range
|     from non-dominant cultures in the U.S.   to corporate cultures to the use
|     nonverbal communication in international communication.  Participants who
|     receive  the newsletter  are encouraged  to  join in  the discussions  or
|     contribute their own topics and issues.   You can subscribe to XCULT-L by
|     sending the command "SUB XCULT-L firstname lastname" to LISTSERV@PSUVM.

 Mednews

      Mednews is  a weekly  electronic  newsletter.     Regular columns consist
      of  medical news  summary from  USA  Today,    Center For Disease Control
      MMWR, weekly AIDS Statistics from the CDC, plus other interesting medical
      news   items.     To   subscribe,    send   the   following  command   to
      LISTSERV@ASUACAD via mail or message:  SUB MEDNEWS Your_Full_Name.

 NetMonth

      NetMonth is an online magazine featuring news,  information, and  opinion
      about BITNET.  Inside each issue you  will  find  features, columns,  and
      regular departments covering  a variety of  network-related topics.   The
      purpose of NetMonth is to inform  the BITNET  community  while  providing
      practical guidelines for getting the most out of  the network.   In order
      to subcribe, send the following command to LISTSERV@MARIST:  SUB NETMONTH
      your_full_name.

 Network Audio Bits

      Network Audio Bits and Audio  Software  Review  is  an  electronic  audio
      magazine devoted  primarily  to Compact Disc and Vinyl LP Record reviews.
      are available from UMNEWS@MAINE (EMAGS disk).

 The Public-Access Computer Systems Review

      An electronic journal,   the Public-Access Computer Systems  Review,  has
      been  established on  the  Public-Access  Computer Systems  Forum  (PACS-
      L@UHUPVM1).   The  PACS  Review  will cover  all  computer  systems  that
      libraries  make  available to  their  patrons,   including CAI  and  ICAI
      programs,   CD-ROM  databases,   expert   systems,   hypermedia  systems,
      information delivery systems,  local databases,  online catalogs,  remote
      end-user search systems, and other systems.  To join the PACS Forum, send
      the following command to LISTSERV@UHUPVM1 vis mail or message:  SUBSCRIBE
      PACS-L Your_full_name

 Psychnet

      Psychnet  is  a  weekly  newsletter  keeping   the  psychology  community
      informed  and in contact.  To subscribe, send mail to Robert C. Morecock,
      EPSYNET@UHUPVM1.

 TeXMaG

      TeXMag  is a  magazine for  users of the TeX Computer Typesetting System.
      mail or message: SUB TEXMAG-L your_full_name.

 South Florida Environmental Reader

      The South Florida  Environmental Reader is primarily  intended for people
      in South  Florida to  keep abreast  of local  environmental issues.   The
      newsletter is  published on  a fortnightly  basis,  and  distributed both
      electronically and physically.  To receive  the electronic edition,  send
      your request to SFER@UMIAMI.

 SCUP Newsletter

      SCUP is  a newsleter  for  people  intersted  in  college  and university
      planning.  For a subscription send mail to SCUP@TUFTS.

 A publication of the BITNET Services Library            "Because We're Here."
- ------------------end of BITNET SERVERS------------------------
- ----------------begin of BITFTP HELP---------------------------
Date:     Sat, 13 Jan 1990 09:28:35 EST
From:     Princeton BITNET FTP Server <BITFTP@PUCC>
To:       PMW1@PSUVM
Subject:  BITFTP HELP

	BITFTP -- Princeton BITNET FTP Server

BITFTP provides a mail interface to the FTP portion
of the IBM TCP/IP product ("FAL") running on the
Princeton VM system, to allow BITNET/NetNorth/EARN users
to ftp files from sites on the Internet.

BITFTP currently accepts requests only via RFC822-format
mail, IBM NOTE-format mail, PROFS-format messages, or
files with no headers at all.  BITFTP currently returns
the requested files as NETDATA-format files or as mail files
containing UUENCODED data.  If you specify "UUENCODE" or
"NETDATA" on your "FTP" command, BITFTP will attempt to
use that format.  If you do not specify the format, BITFTP
will attempt to select the appropriate format for your node.
BITFTP attempts to send NETDATA-format files through the gateway
from EARN into Janet via the NIFTP facility at Rutherford Lab.

If BITFTP sends you a file you cannot read, THE FIRST THING
TO DO is to make sure that you specified ASCII if the file
should contain textual material or that you specified BINARY
if the file should contain binary data, executable programs,
tar files, or the like.  VMS users should specify BINARY F 512
and should use RECEIVE/BINARY to receive the NETDATA-format
binary files BITFTP sends them.

To use BITFTP, send mail containing your ftp commands to
"BITFTP@PUCC".  The first command to BITFTP must be "FTP"
or "HELP".

The recommended syntax for ftp requests is:

FTP hostname
USER username password
<other ftp subcommands>
QUIT

After the hostname on the FTP command, you may specify
"UUENCODE" or "NETDATA" to tell BITFTP the format in which
you wish to receive files.

(If the username is "anonymous", no password is required;
BITFTP will use your userid and nodeid as the password.)

Note that on many systems passwords are case-sensitive;
that is, the password may be required to be in lower case
or mixed case or upper case.  (The same is true of directory
and file names.)

The following is an example of an ftp request:

FTP  f.ms.uky.edu
USER  anonymous
CD  /pub/msdos/Games
DIR
BINARY
GET  robotron.arc  msdos.robotron
QUIT

BITFTP implements a subset of the ftp subcommands provided
in the IBM TCP/IP and uses the same syntax.  Therefore, you
may find it useful to obtain the "IBM TCP/IP for VM Command
Reference Manual", IBM order number GC09-1204.

The currently supported subcommands are:

  ACCT        -- to send host-dependent account information.
    format:   ACCT account-information

  ASCII       -- to change the file transfer type to ASCII.
    format:   ASCII

  BINARY      -- to change the file transfer type to image.
    format:   BINARY <FIXED record-len> <VARIABLE>

  CD          -- to change the working directory.
    format:   CD directory

  CLOSE       -- to disconnect from the foreign host.
    format:   CLOSE

  DIR         -- to get a list of directory entries.
    format:   DIR

  EBCDIC      -- to change the file transfer type to EBCDIC
    format:   EBCDIC

  GET         -- to get a file from the foreign host.
    format:   GET foreignfile <localfile>

	      If you specify "localfile", it must be in
	      the forms "filename.filetype" or "filename",
	      and the filename and filetype may each be no
	      more than 8 characters long and may not contain
	      periods.

  LOCSTAT     -- to display local status information.
    format:   LOCSTAT

  LS          -- to list the files in a directory.
    format:   LS <name>

  PWD         -- to print the working directory.
    format:   PWD

  QUIT        -- to disconnect from the foreign host.
    format:   QUIT

  STATUS      -- to retrieve status information from a foreign host.
    format:   STATUS <name>

  SYSTEM      -- to get the name of the foreign host's operating system.
    format:   SYSTEM

  TYPE        -- to specify Image, ASCII, or EBCDIC file transfer.
    format:   TYPE <I|A|E>

The files you request will be sent to you in NETDATA format or
UUENCODED inside mail files.

You will also receive a mail file containing a log of your
ftp session.  In that mail file, entries prefixed by ">" are
your original commands; those prefixed by ">>" are your
commands as interpreted by BITFTP and passed to TCPIP; those
prefixed by ">>>" are your commands as interpreted by TCPIP and
passed to the remote host; those prefixed by "<<<" are messages
from the remote host; and those prefixed by ">>>>" are completion
messages from BITFTP.

If BITFTP is unable to connect to the host you specify,
it will send you mail after the first attempt, but will keep
trying at intervals over three days.  The only additional mail
files you will receive will be when the connection is made
successfully or when BITFTP gives up after three days.

The load on BITFTP is often very heavy, and network
backlogs are often so great that it may take several days
for a file to get to you once BITFTP sends it, so please be
patient and don't send multiple requests for the same file.
If your system allows you to send interactive messages, you
can inquire about BITFTP's backlog by sending the query
"How are you?", e.g., on a VM system:

   TELL BITFTP AT PUCC How are you?

This service is currently under development and is far from
complete.  Current plans for improvements include:

1.  Acknowledgments via MSG when mail is received and when
    processing has been completed.

2.  A much more complete HELP facility.

Questions about BITFTP and suggestions for improvements
should be directed to Melinda Varian, MAINT@PUCC on BITNET or
MAINT@pucc.princeton.edu on the Internet.

The author gratefully acknowledges the use of the FTP
SUBCOM interface written by David Nessl (DAVID@NERVM), the
SENDJANI EXEC written by Alan Flavell (SY07@I1.PH.GLA.AC.UK),
the uuencoding utility written by John Fisher (FISHER@RPIECS),
and the RFC822 parsing routine written by Eric Thomas
(ERIC@LEPICS).  NOTE:  If you have any complaints/suggestions
about the way any of these routines work in BITFTP, please
send them to MAINT@PUCC (Melinda Varian), not to the authors.