[comp.archives] [comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Re: Who are the TCP/IP "port number police" ??

rsc@merit.edu (Richard Conto) (02/05/90)

Archive-name: tcp-port-numbers/30-Jan-90
Archive-site: merit.edu [35.1.1.42]
Archive-directory: pub
Archive-files: ports
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9001291915.AA02256@jessica.Stanford.EDU> almquist@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU ("Philip Almquist") writes:
>Rich,
>> I am trying to find out who to contact to officially register TCP/IP
>> port numbers.  I would also like to get a current list of port numbers
>> and their respective owners...
>
>	You want to read RFC1010, "Assigned Numbers".  It lists all
>officially assigned port numbers and also gives the procedure for
>obtaining port number assignments.
>
>	Some commonly used protocols do not use officially-assigned port
>numbers for various reasons.  Hans-Werner Braun of NSFNET recently
>attempted to make a list of these unofficial port numbers.  I seem to
>recall it's available via anonymous FTP from MERIT.EDU.
>
>						Philip

See "pub/ports", available via. anomalous FTP from merit.edu (35.1.1.42).
(And I don't vouch for the accuracy, just that it exists.) Also, the
assigned numbers RFC mentioned is in "pub/rfc/RFC1010.TXT-1".

--- Richard Conto