[comp.archives] [comp.lang.pascal] Pretty Printer now at chyde.uwasa.fi

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/07/90)

Archive-name: c-t-pascal-pretty-printer/31-Jan-90
Archive-site: chyde.uwasa.fi [128.214.12.3]
Archive-directory: pc/pd2
Archive-files: pritprn.zip
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

pmk@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Keukert) writes:

>>Well, folks, this is the VERY LAST POSTING of the pretty-print-pascal
>>source. Can somebody PLEASE put it into an FTP-Site? Thanks, we
>>[part deleted]
>
> I would be very glad to make this code publicly available for
> anonymous ftp at chyde.uwasa.fi.  There is one hitch, however.  I
> must first have the original author's permission for the
> distribution, unless his original article in the magazine stated
> that the code is freely distributable.
> [part deleted]
>
>>Found in    : c't Magazin fuer Computer & Technik 9/89
>>English translation: 11 Jan. 1990
>
> As I said, this poses a problem.  And I must admit, that if someone
> would post, without my permission, the codes I have published in
> copyrighted magazines, I would be very upset.  But I do hope that
> this works out ok.

C'T Magazin fuer Computer & Technik has a kind of readers mail column.
In this column ("Leserbriefe" C'T Januari 1988) a letter appeared from
a German reader asking about the same thing :  Copyright/Using the code
published in the magazine for public domain purposes. The answer of C'T
was :

  "We have no objections at all, It is the purpose of publishing
   these algorithms/programs to make them available for everybody to
   use them in their own programs. We would only object if the programs
   published in C'T would be used for commercial purposes."

Furthermore most magazines have a kind of ownership agreement for code
published in their magazines. All publications of software (source code
that is) is no longer "owned" by the author, but is the magazines
property. I believe that C'T uses this convention as well.

So I think you can go ahead and make the program accessible via ftp on
your server...

| Peter Peters                              | UUCP : wsinpp@lso.win.tue.nl  |
| Eindhoven University of Technology (TUE)  | SURF : heithe5::wsdcpp        |
| Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science | VHF  : PA0PPE                 |
| Disclaimer : I said WHAT ???              | TUE  : HG 8.86 tst. 4283      |

Footnote by Timo Salmi: Thanks, Peter, for getting the information,
and letting me use your message. And, naturally, our thanks also to
Michael Keukert for getting the code. Pretty printer is now
available as (/pc/pd2/)pritprn.zip by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)