++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ cut here +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 From: unix.sri.com!research.att.com!dbm
 Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 15:30:16 EST
 To: unix.sri.com!tcipro!ramu

 		STANDARD ML of NEW JERSEY, Release 0.44

 Beta release version 0.44 of Standard ML of New Jersey is now available for
 anonymous ftp from princeton.edu and research.att.com.  Starting with this
 version, the compiler is available under nonrestrictive copyright notice
 similar to that of the X Windows system.  This means you do not need to
 sign a license to obtain a copy of the compiler, and you are free to
 redistribute the compiler as long as you retain the copyright notices and
 permission notice.

 Standard ML of New Jersey is intended to be an open, communally supported
 system.  We encourage people to make whatever use they please of the
 source code; and we encourage contributions to the further development
 of the software:  bug fixes, ports to new machines, new tools, etc.
 We will be glad to help coordinate efforts to further develop the compiler.

 We are planning to release version 1 of the compiler soon, so feedback on
 remaining bugs would be very much appreciated.

 					Andrew W. Appel
 					David B. MacQueen