[comp.archives] [comp.unix.questions] Re: BASIC for UNIX?

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (02/27/90)

Archive-name: basic/25-Feb-90
Archive-site: topaz.rutgers.edu [128.6.4.194]
Archive-directory: /pyr-public/languages/Basic
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9519@portia.Stanford.EDU> zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan
Yolles) writes:

> If I only had a BASIC for UNIX, I could do everything I need. Ideally,
> it would be able to use UNIX shell commands, too, and have decent
> string manipulation abilities.

Well... I have two solutions for you...
    The program/language perl has very powerful string manipulation
abilities, as well as a *very* powerful interface to unix.   I am sure that
you can get the current version on any of the standard archive sites, and
it is probably up at stanford as well.   I would think that this is a good
choice.
    If you really really want basic, there is one implementation floating
around... I dont know much about it except that it does exist... You can
find a copy of the src (not a tar file) via anonymous ftp from
topaz.rutgers.edu in /pyr-public/languages/Basic.

					/Bob...
--
{...}!rutgers!mende         mende@cs.rutgers.edu          mende@zodiac.bitnet