[comp.archives] [comp.text.tex] Re: PostScript Figures in LaTeX?

trevor@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Trevor Darrell) (03/02/90)

Archive-name: psfig/23-Feb-90
Archive-site: whitechapel.media.mit.edu [18.85.0.125]
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Feb22.231556.5937@athena.mit.edu> boaz@lcs.mit.edu writes:

>In article <1990Feb20.180954.27574@sctc.com>, thomsen@sctc.com (Dan
>Thomsen) writes:
>> I have heard that postscript figures can be included in Latex documents.
>> Has anyone had any luck doing this?  Is any special software needed?
>>

>To include PostScript code in your LaTeX document you need to use
>the  \special  command. LaTeX (TeX) transfers the argument of \special
>verbatim to the DVI output, and the software that translates the DVI
>into PS should handle that argument.
>\special{psfile=figure.ps}  % include the PS file, use the same coordinates
>* dvips: available from LaBrea.Stanford.edu

If you want to include postscript without worrying about the exact
location the figure will appear on the page, use my psfig macros.  It
is smart enough to find the bounding box comment from the postscript
file and establish the appropriate coordinate transforms before
including the figure postscript.

Ftp'able from whitechapel.media.mit.edu or linc.cis.upenn.edu. I don't
email copies so don't request one. There is also a version of dvi2ps
there, although other dvi2ps's may work as well. Mac figures from
laserprep 68 and earlier are also known to work, grab lprep68 while
you're ftping.

Enjoy,
--trevor

p.s. If anyone has analyzed lprep70 and knows the major differences
from 68, please let me know.

p.p.s [*flame*] Why is Apple so g*d*amn arrogant about the postscript
generated by it's software? (Silly me, they Know the Way.)
LaserPrep is one of the worst heaps of junk I have ever seen.