[net.auto] What kind of gas to use?

mzal@pegasus.UUCP (Mike Zaleski) (02/25/85)

I recently acquired a used 1966 Lincoln Continental with 72,000 miles
on it.  In looking at the owner's manual, it says that the 460 CI
engine would like 98 octane fuel.  Of course, this is not available
anymore.  The previous owner told me that he used regular leaded
fuel (which is 89 octane at the place I buy gas, where they also have
a 91 octane premium unleaded).

My questions:

1. Does anyone know what the highest octane of gasoline available
   is from a gas station?  (Info about sources in the Piscataway or
   Holmdel, NJ areas would be particularly welcome.)

2. Given the kind of engine this is, would the engine be better off
   using leaded regular of the highest octane I could get, or
   unleaded premium of a higher octane?

3. If someone has been using an octane booster for an engine of this
   type I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with it.
   (I am more interested in good drivability and longevity than
   cost-no-object performance.)

Sorry if this has been previously discussed.  It only recently became
of interest to me, so I may have missed it.  Thanks for any help.

-- Mike^Z   Zaleski@Rutgers   [allegra, ihnp4] pegasus!mzal

PS: Send help quick!  It only gets 10 MPG and I'm almost out of gas!

bhs@siemens.UUCP (02/26/85)

Mike:

I owned a 1970 Mercury Marquis for a while (429CID).
It also wanted 99 Octane. You must bear in mind that the octane measurement was
changed slightly, so that in fact with today's system, your car does not need
99 octane, but slightly less (could 95 be right?).

One trick I routinely did: mix, by volume, two parts unleaded premium with one
part leaded regular. While gas station attendants may give you funny looks, the
net effect is to increase the octane level of the resulting mixture above that
of the unleaded premium. Thus, try 10 Gal. premium and 5 Gal. Reg. You should
experiment a little, maybe the optimum ratio is 1:4. The real advantage of
increasing octane is really only noticed if you reset your timing accordingly.
This, however, will imply consistently using the mixture, or at least premium.
By advancing the ignition point of your ignition, you permit the engine to burn
the fuel mixture longer, ie. more efficiently. The way to do this: slowly
advance ignition until the engine starts to ping under heavy acceleration at
low RPM. Then, just retard slightly to make pinging go away.
I would carry this logic one step further: if I was going on alonger highway
cruise, I would overadvance the ignition, so that I was not able to use full
power without wrecking my valves, but while I could no longer rocket up hills
or make wild passes, I would get an honest 20 mpg at a constant 60 mph. Around
town, of course, my mixture would plummet to around 10-12, and with
overadvanced ignition, I always had to be easy on the accelerator.

			Bernard H. Schwab
			Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (02/27/85)

    DISCLAIMER: The author of this message (whose name appears below) rather
                than the owner of this account, is responsible for and bears
                full and sole responsibility for the content  of the message
                which follows.  Thank you.
	98 is pretty high for a non-hi perf car.  Somestimes, what they
used to do back then was specify "research" octane, which is usually
a couple of points higher than the octane you buy at the pumps.  The
rating you see today is the avareage of research and motor (I think
that's the name) octane.

	My suggestion as to what kind of gas to buy is: both.  I usually
mix leaded and unleaded in a 1:4 or 1:2 ratio.  The unleaded premium gives
me octane, the lead in the leaded protects and lubricates the valves.  I've
heard it said that mixing gas in this manner also gives you more octane than
the unleaded premium alone, but I can't attest to that.  Try it!

    Rei Shinozuka
    ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627

jeepcj2a@fluke.UUCP (Dale Chaudiere) (02/27/85)

My system could not find the sender for a reply, so I'm posting a followup.

Here in the Pacific Northwest the Union 76 stations have Leaded Premium 92
Octane for $1.33/gal.  I use it in our 1971 Opel GT.

mzal@pegasus.UUCP (Mike Zaleski) (03/01/85)

Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly to my request
for information on this subject.

What I have decided to do, based on sort of an "averaging"
of your responses, is to alternate between Sunoco 93.5 octane
unleaded premium and 91 octane leaded regular.  I may, as
time passes, move from a 50:50 to 66:33 ratio or something
like that.

The only other question is: What do I do when the government
takes away all leaded gas (as I understand they plan to do)?
(Isn't it great the way government does all the things we don't
want and butts into our lives in lots of ways, but can't keep
the streets paved or free of criminal elements who steal radar
detectors?)

One respondent suggested aviation fuel for high octane (and
high cost).  Although the cost is a minus, the real problem
with this is that it would be a nuisance to get.  (At 10-12 MPG,
I will probably need gas rather often.)  Also, cold starting is
more difficult with aviation fuel.

Regarding mothballs: I suppose this will keep moths out of my
carburetor, but I wonder (1) why does this work (if at all)?
and (2) what prevents half-disolved mothballs from rolling into
the fuel line and clogging it up?

Again, thanks for the replies.  I would have responded to each
one personally, but there were too many!  It appears net.auto has
many fans of big old cars with monster engines.....all just loafing
along at 55 (heh heh).

-- Mike^Z    Zaleski@Rutgers    [allegra!, ihnp4!] pegasus!mzal

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (03/01/85)

> I recently acquired a used 1966 Lincoln Continental with 72,000 miles
> on it.  In looking at the owner's manual, it says that the 460 CI
> engine would like 98 octane fuel.  Of course, this is not available
> anymore.  The previous owner told me that he used regular leaded
> fuel (which is 89 octane at the place I buy gas, where they also have
> a 91 octane premium unleaded).

> 2. Given the kind of engine this is, would the engine be better off
>    using leaded regular of the highest octane I could get, or
>    unleaded premium of a higher octane?

Best bet is to mix 76 leaded super with a good no-lead regular.  The
octane of the mix is higher than either alone.  (Lead has a non linear
octane boost on the gas, no-lead has a higher quality stock.  The dilution
of the lead has low effect, the boost of octane of the no-lead has a
high effect).

> 3. If someone has been using an octane booster for an engine of this
>    type I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with it.
>    (I am more interested in good drivability and longevity than
>    cost-no-object performance.)

There was a suggestion earlier to use Naphthalene Moth Balls for an
octane booster.  I tried some in my car.  Seemed to run fine.  But
my car will eat any gas, so I can't attest to the octane boost part.
You could always try them and report to the net ...  (20 Moth Balls
per tank or so; and don't use the para-dichlorobenzene ones)

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

"give it to Mikey, he'll try anything"

The opinions expressed by me are not representative of those of any
other person - natural, unnatural, or fictional - and only marginally
reflect my opinions as strained by the language.

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (03/04/85)

> Best bet is to mix 76 leaded super with a good no-lead regular.  The
> octane of the mix is higher than either alone.  (Lead has a non linear
> octane boost on the gas, no-lead has a higher quality stock.  The dilution
> of the lead has low effect, the boost of octane of the no-lead has a
> high effect).
>
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

  Isn't it illegal to mix leaded and unleaded gas ?

  I thought that one way of stopping people, who should use unleaded gas, from
using leaded gas, was by making the nozzels on the pumps and the entry port
into the gas tank different sizes.

  Does this only apply to cars that *must* use unleaded gas ??

--
          [ You called all the way from America - Joan Armatrading ]
 [ You're never alone with a rubber duck - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy ]

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (03/07/85)

1) After the clowns in the EPA take away our leaded, we can still use
octane booster.  This stuff is lead tetra-ethyl, the "lead" in  leaded.
It's pretty expensive, but you probably don't need too much if you're
not making 103 octane.

2) As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about mixing leaded and
unleaded; I do it all the time.  The illegal thing is to introduce
leaded gasoline into a vehicle designed for unleaded.  In general,
this applies to US cars 1975 or later, (for Chrysler 1976). Cars
made after that date do have special fillers to prevent the leaded
nozzles from being utilized.  Cars before 1975 can be filled from either.
(My 'Vette has a filler hole so big you could fill it with a bucket.)

(signed) Speed Racer

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/07/85)

In article <220@ihlpg.UUCP> jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) writes:

>> Best bet is to mix 76 leaded super with a good no-lead regular.  The
>> octane of the mix is higher than either alone.  (Lead has a non linear
>> octane boost on the gas, no-lead has a higher quality stock.  The dilution
>> of the lead has low effect, the boost of octane of the no-lead has a
>> high effect).

>  Isn't it illegal to mix leaded and unleaded gas ?

>  I thought that one way of stopping people, who should use unleaded gas, from
>using leaded gas, was by making the nozzels on the pumps and the entry port
>into the gas tank different sizes.

>  Does this only apply to cars that *must* use unleaded gas ??

Yes, indeed.  It's fully legal to use unleaded gas in a car designed
for leaded gas, should someone wish to.  About the only case where one
would want to is mixing with leaded to raise the octane ratings.

However, soon everybody will need to use unleaded, since EPA is
cutting allowable lead levels down by 90%.  Love those wonderful
environmentalists!  They probably don't realize that sidestream
tobacco smoke kills far more people annually than automotive lead
emissions.  Or what about acid rain?  Noooooo, they hit where it hurts
most, at our cars.  EPA claims (actually our local newspaper says they
claim) that all new cars use unleaded.  Is this really true?  Up here
in Canada, all new Golfs and Jettas run on leaded fuel.  Is this the
reason they have 90 hp here and only 85 hp in the US?

In any case, this really p*sses me off.  I think we (net.auto.people)
should start a petition requesting EPA to back off this legislation.
Any takers?

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

ee161ang@sdcc13.UUCP (ee161ang) (03/11/85)

Tom H.  said something about small numbers of people dying from lead
emissions.  Well, it is true that not many people die from them, but I
suspect the average I.Q. of the worlds population is lower because of
it. Lead affects the nervous system and can cause forgetfulness (where
DID you leave those keys?) and possibly some learning disorders in
children.  Frankly, I think the elimination of leaded gas is a small
price to pay for a cut in all the crap we spew into the air.

						E. Orange

kunz@hplsle.UUCP (kunz) (03/12/85)

Tom's reponse to this note string demonstrates the basic problem with
the way our government operates... special interest groups.  Tom wants
to tell the EPA that we need lead in our gasoline and they would better
spend their time triing to eliminate tobacco smoke, acid rain....

I would say the EPA should not be influenced by special interests.  If
lead out of all gas would improve the environment, then it is a good thing,
regardless of how it effects special interest groups.  And as speed racer
points out, tetra-ethyl lead is available in concentrated form for those
who *really* nead it.

The essence of the proposed legislation is to keep lead out of cars that
were intended to be run on unleaded.

Bob Kunz
{hplabs!hp-pcd, fluke, teltone}!hplsla!kunz
(206) 335-2135

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/14/85)

In article <5100001@hplsle.UUCP> kunz@hplsle.UUCP (Bob Kunz) writes:

>Tom's reponse to this note string demonstrates the basic problem with
>the way our government operates... special interest groups.  Tom wants
>to tell the EPA that we need lead in our gasoline and they would better
>spend their time triing to eliminate tobacco smoke, acid rain....

>I would say the EPA should not be influenced by special interests.  If
>lead out of all gas would improve the environment, then it is a good thing,
>regardless of how it effects special interest groups.  And as speed racer
>points out, tetra-ethyl lead is available in concentrated form for those
>who *really* nead it.

>The essence of the proposed legislation is to keep lead out of cars that
>were intended to be run on unleaded.

This indeed may be the essence, but unfortunately it forces an unfair
burden on those of us owning cars DESIGNED TO RUN ON LEADED gasoline.
Does everybody have to be punished because some idiots enlarge their
gas tank filler holes and feed their cars leaded gas?

As to the argument about special interest groups, I would like to
point out that for the past 10 years and more, there have been
complaints about acid rain, but nothing is being done about it.
Hundreds upon hundreds of lakes in Canada and the northern U.S. are
dying because of acid rain, not to mention the damage done to plants,
animals, humans and anything (such as cars) that sits outside in the
rain.  The Canadian government has been attempting to get the EPA to
do something about the problem (since most of the acid rain comes from
south of the border and Canada has already enacted legislation
reducing sulphur emissions) but the EPA hasn't done ANYTHING.  Why?
Well, there's a special interest group down in the U.S. called
``Big Business''.  These guys have a lot more pull than the owners of
cars running leaded gas, and hence, guess who gets hit first?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph ``K-Mart'' Nader has his hands in
this as well.  He's known to have a strong dislike for anything that's
fun to drive as well as the people who like to drive.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (03/16/85)

ce available"

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (03/21/85)

Tom, we rag on each other alot, but here I agree with you.

TKAE EVERY DECISION-MAKER IN THE EPA AND HAVE HIM PUBLICLY EXECUTED!!
(along with Jimmy Carter, if possible)

The EPA figures that not too many people are using leaded gas, so that
they can phase it out, right?  Now if not too many people are using
leaded gas, where's the horrible environmental impact???  Of course,
all of us "leadies" drive all day and night in cars that get 2 mpg.

Tom, we should bust up this bunch of WHIMPS and THEN!  THEN!  We'll be
free to build the cars the way WE want to and then we'll RACE, OH YES,
RACE from NEW YORK to SAN FRANCISCO and SEE ONCE AND FOR ALL, WHOSE
CAR RULES!

(signed) Speed Racer

"I'd like to wipe every endangered species off the f*cking face of the
earth" -- Peter Cooke, with Dudley Moore as half of the team DEREK & CLIVE
in their (disgusting) album Ad Nauseum.  I wholly recommend it.