[net.auto] SAAB IGNITION BREAKTHROUGH

rex@eneevax.UUCP (Rex Root) (03/19/85)

I'm just wondering ... is the sensor looking at the crankshaft
or is it looking at the camshaft ... seems to me that the
camshaft would be more appropriate since it's spinning at
half the speed as the crankshaft. A few manufactures are now
running the distributor directly off of the camshaft.

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (03/20/85)

> I'm just wondering ... is the sensor looking at the crankshaft
> or is it looking at the camshaft ... seems to me that the
> camshaft would be more appropriate since it's spinning at
> half the speed as the crankshaft. A few manufactures are now
> running the distributor directly off of the camshaft.

The sensor could look at either.  Just because the crank is spinning
twice as fast as the cam doesn't mean it won't work - you just put
two lobes on the distributor point cam instead of four (or however
many cylinders your engine has).

As for running the distributor off the cam instead of the crank,
this has been the way it's done for years, because the distributor
classically turns at the same speed (in rpm) as the cam, which is
half crankshaft speed in a four-stroke engine (1:1 gearing).  The
same distributor could be driven off the crank with a 2:1 gearing
reduction, or a different distributor (with half as many lobes on
the point cam) at 1:1.  Sounds like Saab is probably using the 1:1
crank drive with two lobes instead of four.

Of course, for 2-stroke engines, all this changes.

					Phil Kos
					The Johns Hopkins Hospital

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (03/23/85)

In article <264@eneevax.UUCP> rex@eneevax.UUCP (Rex Root) writes:
>A few manufactures are now
>running the distributor directly off of the camshaft.

This is hardly new (as implied by ...are now...), Bugatti did this in
1935 and he was probably not the first.

Also, someone recently mentioned the Toyota Coralla GT-S (?), calling it
a sports car.  Obviously this car is more 'fun' to drive than your
typical Plymouth but sports car?  Give me a break.

Peter Barbee

prins@cornell.UUCP (Jan Prins) (03/23/85)

In article <189@osiris.UUCP> phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) responds:
>The sensor could look at either.  Just because the crank is spinning
>twice as fast as the cam doesn't mean it won't work - you just put
>two lobes on the distributor point cam instead of four (or however
>many cylinders your engine has).  .....  Sounds like Saab is probably
>using the 1:1 crank drive with two lobes instead of four.

  You seem to be laboring under the assumption that a distributor shaft is
  present: the 'sensors' referred to actually replace the cam that actuates
  the ignition points and turns the distribution rotor.

  As for spark timing, you are right, this can be derived from crank or cam.

  But distribution of the spark to the right plug takes more care.  Don't forget
  that a complete engine cycle requires two crank revolutions.  Crank position
  doesn't tell you what 'phase' of the cyle you are in.  The ambiguity requires
  you to fire 2 plugs at the same time, one of which will be wasted at best,
  but at worst could cause intake fires with long duration cams.  In any case,
  spark plug life is cut in half and extra energy is required from the coils.

  Nevertheless, the fully electronic ignition systems I know use crank position
  and accept this loss because it reduces by half the number of coils required.

  In Saab's case, they have sprung for the full complement of coils, so there
  is no excuse for not 'doing it right'.  Thus they should take engine position
  from the cam, or disambiguate crank position by some cam reference.
  (It may be that the cam position is too "sloppy" because of the chain drive
  to use for Saab's high-accuracy spark timing program, but I really doubt it).

jan prins    {vax135, decvax}!cornell!prins