[comp.archives] [xpert] Re: user inactivity and screen blanking

tim@appenzell.cs.wisc.edu (Tim Theisen) (04/10/90)

Archive-name: xidle/09-Apr-90
Archive-site: expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212]
Archive-directory: contrib
Archive-files: xidle.shar.Z
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9004042252.AA11736@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>There is no standard way to do this through an X server.  You could
>look at the input devices directly, as someone has suggested.  You
>could also look at the "xidle" extension that's in the R4 contrib
>software (it will probably take some work to integrate it into R4).

I have reworked the xidle extension for the R4 server.  It is available
via anoymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/xidle.shar.Z.  This
extension returns the time since last input event from the X server.
It is currently in use on Vaxen, DecStations, Sun 3's, Sun 4's, and
IBM RT's.
--
Tim Theisen             Department of Computer Sciences
tim@cs.wisc.edu         University of Wisconsin-Madison