[comp.archives] [c++] Re: Info on OOPS, InterViews

basti@orthogo.UUCP (Sebastian Wangnick) (04/10/90)

Archive-name: interviews/06-Apr-90
Archive-site: interviews.stanford.edu [36.22.0.175]
Archive-directory: pub
Archive-files: 2.6.tar.Z
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

llin@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Luen Tor Andrew LIN) writes:

>i'm looking for info source on freely available class libs OOPS and
>InterViews. any piece of advice will be appreciated.

Mark Linton, the author of InterViews, can be reached at
linton@interviews.stanford.edu. He might send you some brochures.

InterViews is an elegant implementation of a model-(view-controller)-
architecture, structured as two hierarchies of objectclasses: interactive
objects (menus &c) and graphical objects (lines &c). Rumors are
they are trying to melt these two, so that even graphical applications
can use the interactive facilities with their screen objects.

InterViews (2.6) is distributed with the X11R4 sources from MIT.
You can also get it from interviews.stanford.edu via anonymous ftp
as "pub/2.6.tar.Z", together with g++ as "pub/2.6-and-g++.tar.Z",
IP is 36.22.0.175.

I just succeded in porting this version onto an Apollo 3500 under SR 10.2,
using Apollo's C++ 1.2.2, a glockenspiel derivate. IT RUNS EVEN WITH X11R3!

The address is:
Mark Linton
Center for Integrated Systems, Room 213
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305

I only got a copy of OOPS 2.2 from Dec 31, 1988. Keith Gorlen writes:

This is the OOPS Version 2 Release 2 "Guru Only" distribution,
so-called because of its lack of complete and accurate documentation.

The Object-Oriented Program Support (OOPS) class library is a portable
collection of classes similar to those of Smalltalk-80 that has been
developed using the C++ programming language under the UNIX operating
system.  The OOPS library includes generally useful data types such as
String, Date, and Time, and most of the Smalltalk-80 collection
classes such as OrderedCltn (indexed arrays), LinkedList
(singly-linked lists), Set (hash tables), and Dictionary (associative
arrays).  Arbitrarily complex data structures comprised of OOPS and
user-defined objects can be stored on disk files or moved between UNIX
processes by means of an Object I/O facility.  Classes Process,
Scheduler, Semaphore, and SharedQueue provide multiprogramming with
coroutines.

The address is:
Keith Gorlen
Building 12A, Room 2017
Computer Systems Laboratory
Division of Computer Research and Technology
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892
phone:  (301) 496-5363
uucp: uunet!ncifcrf.gov!nih-csl!keith