[net.auto] No Leaded Gas -- Now What?

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (03/05/85)

Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas, let's be
realistic and assume that soon (too soon) there will be no leaded gas
available at all.  What do I do with my wonderful old '68 VW Ghia that is
so cheap, reliable, fun to drive (it's not quite stock!), etc?  Replace
the valves and run on unleaded?  Find gas additives?  Sell it quick?
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

lat@druxx.UUCP (TepperL) (03/06/85)

A friend of mine with a couple 10-15 year old motorcycles buys high
octane leaded gas at the county airport.  If I remember correctly,
he said he was able to get 100 (!) octane.  He then mixes it with
unleaded.  Since the cycles are not his primary mode of transportation,
this is not such a big deal.  If your Ghia is your commuting vehicle,
driving to the county airport for gas on a regular basis can be a hassle.
--
I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths.
Larry Tepper					30J69, x1759

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/06/85)

> Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas, let's be
> realistic and assume that soon (too soon) there will be no leaded gas
> available at all.  What do I do with my wonderful old '68 VW Ghia that is
> so cheap, reliable, fun to drive (it's not quite stock!), etc?  Replace
> the valves and run on unleaded?  Find gas additives?  Sell it quick?

RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
EPA is to be commended for taking this step.

If you fill your car with unleaded gas having an octane rating at least as
high as the leaded gas it normally takes, I believe it will run without any
problems whatsoever.  If you use gas of a lower octane rating than what you
currently use, you might get some pinging--but if you don't get pinging,
then go ahead and use the lower-octane gas.
--
Dana S. Nau		    ARPA:   dsn@maryland
Computer Science Dept.	    CSNet:  dsn@umcp-cs

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (03/07/85)

    MODERN engines will not suffer ill-effects from the   unleaded
gasoline.  However, OLDER engines (made before the introduction of
unleaded gasoline) do not have hardened valves and stem seats.  They
require the lubrication provided by leaded gasoline.
    Unleaded gasoline is more expensive to produce for the same octane.
Additionally, it requires more crude to produce the same octane as
unleaded.

(signed) Speed Racer

lee@unmvax.UUCP (03/07/85)

> RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
> raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
> EPA is to be commended for taking this step.

 Here, thus far, the petroleum companies have been using ethanol. I have
heard that this can damage certain kinds of metals. Notably, zinc. Guess
what my carbs are made of? Anybody know if I am ready to buy a bridge or
is this true? I am using unleaded premium now. It is not boosted, just
good gas. It is still rated too low... Though, I haven't heard any pinging
on it I cannot be sure.

			--Lee (Ward)
			{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!lee

chim@ncsu.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) (03/07/85)

Old cars used the lead to lubricate their
valves.  The octane boost wasn't the only
purpose.

dwl@hou4b.UUCP (D Levenson) (03/07/85)

Your friend who buys 100 octane leaded gasoline at the airport will
find that leaded aviation fuel is also being phased out.  Most
airports now only carry what is called 100-LL or Low-Lead.  It has
about 10% of the lead contained in standard 100-grade Av-gas.  This
is causing problems with older airplane engines.  I guess Low Lead
is better than no-lead if you need it, however.  Incidentally,
100-LL costs about $2.00 per gallon in the Northeast.

-Dave Levenson (RV)
-ATT-IS

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (03/07/85)

> > Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas, let's be
> > realistic and assume that soon (too soon) there will be no leaded gas
> > available at all.  What do I do with my wonderful old '68 VW Ghia that is
> > so cheap, reliable, fun to drive (it's not quite stock!), etc?  Replace
> > the valves and run on unleaded?  Find gas additives?  Sell it quick?
>
> RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
> raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
> EPA is to be commended for taking this step.

I have heard people who "should know" argue both sides of this subject.
Basically what it comes down to is this:

	1.  The octane of gasoline can be raised in two ways.  An additive
	  can be put in (like tetraethyl lead), or it can be refined more.
	  Lead was the solution of choice way back when because it was
	  cheaper than extra refining - less time, less equipment, greater
	  yield from a given quantity of crude = greater profits.  In those
	  days, the EPA wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

	2.  Unleaded gasoline has been around longer than a lot of people
	  think.  Supposedly, Standard Premium (Amoco for you modern types)
	  was unleaded as early as the 1960's.  This was a _real_ high-
	  octane premium gasoline, not the 91 or 92 octane "super" gas
	  we're stuck with today, unless we happen to be lucky enough to
	  have Super 76 in our area.  (The last real premium gas I saw was
	  at Mars stations in St. Louis in 1981.)

	3.  Tetraethyl lead is _not_ the only additive used to increase
	  the octane of gasoline.  Many of the "premium" unleaded gasolines
	  you see today use methanol or ethanol (alcohol, that is) for a
	  couple of extra points.  There are other additives too, which
	  are generally "invisible" to the buyer because they aren't consi-
	  dered to be health hazards (like lead) with EPA regulations
	  requiring the pumps to ring a bell and cry out "Leaded!  Outcast!
	  Unclean!".

	4.  One of the main arguments for keeping leaded gasoline around
	  is that the lead helps lubricate the valves.  I don't believe
	  that the people who ran unleaded through their high-compression,
	  high-rpm MGA Twincam engines in 1961 had any trouble with valves
	  from not having any lead in their gas.  An argument could possi-
	  bly be made that a box-stock 1943 Chrysler inline 6 will last
	  longer if it burns leaded regular, but how many box-stock 1943
	  Chrysler inline 6's have you driven today?  Well over 99% of
	  the engines still running today will run just fine on unleaded
	  gas.

	5.  Today's unleaded regular does tend to have a lower octane
	  rating than (yesterday's?) leaded regular.  This is because of
	  the economic considerations (see point 1).  It is quite possible
	  to make unleaded gas with an octane rating equivalent to regular
	  leaded, or even higher - see most gasoline stations for examples
	  of this.  This "unleaded premium", however, is _not_ the equal of
	  the old-fashioned leaded premium, which is a point that a lot of
	  people have been trying to make.  Unleaded gas of a sufficiently
	  high octane just is not commercially available at this time.
	  This leaves many people with older high-compression engines out
	  in the cold, as it were.  This is also why people have been mixing
	  gas for some few years now.

	6.  Ah, on to the great mixing debate.  By mixing the higher-octane
	  unleaded with a smaller quantity of leaded gasoline, you are
	  effectively using that small quantity of lead to boost the octane
	  of a stock with slightly higher quality than that used for the
	  leaded gas (note difference in price).  Note that this does you
	  very little good if the premium unleaded is gasohol.  It has to
	  be the real thing - super-refined gasoline with little or no
	  octane-boosting additives already in it.  This stuff seems to be
	  getting harder to find all the time.

	7.  There are octane boosters which do not use tet. lead for their
	  kick.  These, I believe, mostly use some mixture of methanol and
	  xylene, with maybe some other stuff thrown in - I'm not an organic
	  chemist, so don't quote me on the exact recipes.  It is also poss-
	  ible to get straight tet. lead to put in your gas, but handle
	  VERY carefully as this stuff is quite hazardous.  That's why the
	  EPA is cracking down.  (You couldn't pay me enough money to make
	  me want to handle a jug of tet. lead octane booster.)

It seems that the EPA crackdown on lead is going to do two things besides
improving air quality very slightly.  It will put a lot of older cars off
the street because they will no longer have gas of a high enough octane to
run on.  It will also give the oil companies a chance to make a bit more
money - older cars which previously ran on regular will now be running on
unleaded (if they can), which, I believe, will improve their profit margin.
If the EPA ultimately gets _all_ lead out of gasoline and makes it illegal
to put lead back in then any engine built before 1975 with a compression
ratio over 9.5:1 had better be converted to either straight alcohol or
propane, or shelved.

						Philip Kos
						Johns Hopkins Hospital

			Of course, I may be wrong. :-)

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (03/08/85)

>From: dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau)
>Newsgroups: net.auto,net.consumers
>Subject: Re: No Leaded Gas -- Now What?
>
>RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
>raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
>EPA is to be commended for taking this step.
>
>If you fill your car with unleaded gas having an octane rating at least as
>high as the leaded gas it normally takes, I believe it will run without any
>problems whatsoever.

WRONG!!

(Now that I have your attention ...)

Sorry, but this is not entirely correct.  Engines designed to run on leaded
gas generally depend on the presence of lead to provide a cushioning effect
between the valves and valve-seats.  Engines designed for unleaded gas have
case-hardened  valve  seats instead.  Running an engine designed for leaded
gas on unleaded can seriously damage  its  valves  (i.e.:  you'll  have  to
replace them -- not a trivial expense).

I expect there's shortly going to be a market  for  gasoline  additives  to
substitute for the missing lead in cars that require it.

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/08/85)

> 	1.  The octane of gasoline can be raised in two ways.  An additive
> 	  can be put in (like tetraethyl lead), or it can be refined more.
Ahem?  Am I missing something here.  Are you talking some kind of "effective"
octane, or the number that they stick on the gas pump and in the owners
manual.  If you mean the latter, I don't think adding all the lead in the
world is going to change it.

> 	2.  Unleaded gasoline has been around longer than a lot of people
> 	  think.  Supposedly, Standard Premium (Amoco for you modern types)
> 	  was unleaded as early as the 1960's.  This was a _real_ high-
> 	  octane premium gasoline, not the 91 or 92 octane "super" gas
> 	  we're stuck with today, unless we happen to be lucky enough to
> 	  have Super 76 in our area.  (The last real premium gas I saw was
> 	  at Mars stations in St. Louis in 1981.)
Again, my car would run poorly on the pre-catalytic converter AMERICAN
lead-free gas while doing fine on cheapo leaded regular.

> 	5.  Today's unleaded regular does tend to have a lower octane
> 	  rating than (yesterday's?) leaded regular.  This is because of
> 	  the economic considerations (see point 1).
Eh?  Todays unleaded regular at several stations I checked has an octane
rating about two points higher than their leaded regular.  At the point
when you could still get leaded premimum, it was about 4 points above
leaded regular.
> 	7.  There are octane boosters which do not use tet. lead for their
> 	  kick.  These, I believe, mostly use some mixture of methanol and
> 	  xylene, with maybe some other stuff thrown in - I'm not an organic
> 	  chemist, so don't quote me on the exact recipes.  It is also poss-
> 	  ible to get straight tet. lead to put in your gas, but handle
> 	  VERY carefully as this stuff is quite hazardous.  That's why the
> 	  EPA is cracking down.  (You couldn't pay me enough money to make
> 	  me want to handle a jug of tet. lead octane booster.)
The EPA never enforced the use of leaded gasolines (and still doesn't)
unless your car is equipped with a catalytic converter, which would be
rendered useless after a short time using gasolines using phosphorus or
lead additives.

sra@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Anderson) (03/08/85)

>> Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas, let's be
>> realistic and assume that soon (too soon) there will be no leaded gas
>> available at all.  What do I do with my wonderful old '68 VW Ghia that is
>> so cheap, reliable, fun to drive (it's not quite stock!), etc?  Replace
>> the valves and run on unleaded?  Find gas additives?  Sell it quick?
>
>RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
>raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
>EPA is to be commended for taking this step.

That is the current purpose of putting the lead in, but people with
air-cooled engines (which run at higher temperatures than water-cooled
engines) also rely on the lead to provide lubrication for the engine valves,
which is what the first quote refers to.  I am in the same boat with
my '65 Corvair; if the lead isn't there, the engine will deteriorate much
more rapidly than otherwise.

I have heard, however, that lead is not going to be removed completely,
but that there will still be small quantities in gasoline that will be
sufficient for lubrication, while being significantly less than the current
amount (a few percent, I believe).  Some years hence lead *will* be phased
out, but by then my Corvair, and his Ghia, should be in their graves.

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos

A 20-year old Corvair?  That's almost as old as *I* am!

rrh@hocsd.UUCP (r.r.hartoin) (03/08/85)

Reference: <132@ucbcad.UUCP>

On this no leaded stuff. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine
in my 69 Buick GS. One of my main objectives is to be able to run on premium
unleaded. I understand that new cars have special values which are hollow
and filled with sodium? Does this help decrease combustion chamber
temps? If so, does this aid running on unleaded. I would also like
a combustion ratio of 10:1, currently the engine has 10.25:1.
Any help on how I can rebuild this engine to burn unleaded gas
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

niemi@astroatc.UUCP (03/08/85)

> > > Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas...
>
> 	  ......  Well over 99% of the engines still running today
>	  will run just fine on unleaded gas.

I think so too.  I beleive the valve lubrication argument is a red
herring unless you are driving a racing car under racing conditions.

> 	  .....This leaves many people with older high-compression
>	  engines out in the cold, as it were.

Yup!  Both of them.

My ONLY worry over the proposed demise of leaded gas is a feul
source for outboard motors.  Both my outboards (1966 Johnson
100 hp,  and 1974 Johnson 15 hp) must run regular LEADED gasoline
according to the instruction book.  I don't know why (but I would
like to find out.)  What are the alternatives to leaded gas in
outboards?

			Bob Niemi, Astronautics, Madison WI
			...!uwvax!astroatc!niemi

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (03/08/85)

> Your friend who buys 100 octane leaded gasoline at the airport will
> find that leaded aviation fuel is also being phased out.  Most
> airports now only carry what is called 100-LL or Low-Lead.  It has
> about 10% of the lead contained in standard 100-grade Av-gas.  This
> is causing problems with older airplane engines.  I guess Low Lead
> is better than no-lead if you need it, however.  Incidentally,
> 100-LL costs about $2.00 per gallon in the Northeast.

The 100 octane low-lead (100LL) was originally designed to be used in
airplanes which required 80 octane leaded fuel... which was being phased
out by major fuel refiners.  I don't believe it was intended to be used
in those A/C engines which require 100 oct. leaded fuel.  In itself,
100LL is NOTORIOUS for causing lead problems in the older (80 octane
burning) engines.  It's not as bad as the leaded variety, but even engines
designed to operate on the 100LL have problems (the Cessna 152, for instance).
There has been a reverse in the decline of 80 octane, it's readily available
at most airports.  However, I would agree that auto engines designed to run
on premium leaded could probably take 100LL with no lead problems.

					Ron Wanttaja
					(ssc-vax!wanttaja)

Don't tell me not to burn the candle at
both ends; tell me where to find more wax!

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/09/85)

In article <168@osiris.UUCP> phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) writes:

>>> Well, now that the EPA is actually cracking down on leaded gas, let's be
>>> realistic and assume that soon (too soon) there will be no leaded gas
>>> available at all.  What do I do with my wonderful old '68 VW Ghia that is
>>> so cheap, reliable, fun to drive (it's not quite stock!), etc?  Replace
>>> the valves and run on unleaded?  Find gas additives?  Sell it quick?

I wish I had an answer.  I'm selling mine, not due to the lead
reduction, but it does happen to be an opportune time.  Still, I'll
miss it...

>>RELAX!  As I understand it, the only purpose of putting lead into gas is to
>>raise the octane rating--and one can do that without using lead.  I think
>>EPA is to be commended for taking this step.

EPA is not to be commended for anything.  I think they need a head on
their shoulders but they haven't found one with small enough brains
yet.  Cars are not the largest contributor to air pollution today, but
they *are* an easy target for EPA and that's why we get hit.  However,
they could have just clamped down on new cars and allowed those of us
running older cars to keep running them on leaded gas.

>	4.  One of the main arguments for keeping leaded gasoline around
>	  is that the lead helps lubricate the valves.  I don't believe
>	  that the people who ran unleaded through their high-compression,
>	  high-rpm MGA Twincam engines in 1961 had any trouble with valves
>	  from not having any lead in their gas.  An argument could possi-
>	  bly be made that a box-stock 1943 Chrysler inline 6 will last
>	  longer if it burns leaded regular, but how many box-stock 1943
>	  Chrysler inline 6's have you driven today?  Well over 99% of
>	  the engines still running today will run just fine on unleaded
>	  gas.

I don't buy the 99% figure.  There are a *lot* of first-generation
Volkswagens still around, as well as Corvairs and older Porsches.
Even the VW Vanagons of only a few years back had the air-cooled
engines (the new ones come with the Wasserboxer engines).  All of
these cars have engines that run much hotter than a modern
water-cooled engine and thus require the added lubrication of the lead
additives.  In addition to these cars, many of the older water-cooleds
still need the lead as well.  I believe that the number of cars
requiring lead is probably around 5%.

>	5.  Today's unleaded regular does tend to have a lower octane
>	  rating than (yesterday's?) leaded regular.  This is because of
>	  the economic considerations (see point 1).  It is quite possible
>	  to make unleaded gas with an octane rating equivalent to regular
>	  leaded, or even higher - see most gasoline stations for examples
>	  of this.  This "unleaded premium", however, is _not_ the equal of
>	  the old-fashioned leaded premium, which is a point that a lot of
>	  people have been trying to make.  Unleaded gas of a sufficiently
>	  high octane just is not commercially available at this time.
>	  This leaves many people with older high-compression engines out
>	  in the cold, as it were.  This is also why people have been mixing
>	  gas for some few years now.

So I will be able to take a, say, 1980 Rabbit, which now uses leaded
gas, to a gas station and buy premium unleaded and get the same octane
rating as from leaded regular.  This is truly wonderful (thanks EPA!)
as it'll only cost mne 10% more than the leaded gas would have.  Not
to mention those high-compression engines (with ratios around 10.0)
who will not likely be able to run anything except aviation gas
without engine mods to reduce compression.

>	7.  There are octane boosters which do not use tet. lead for their
>	  kick.  These, I believe, mostly use some mixture of methanol and
>	  xylene, with maybe some other stuff thrown in - I'm not an organic
>	  chemist, so don't quote me on the exact recipes.  It is also poss-
>	  ible to get straight tet. lead to put in your gas, but handle
>	  VERY carefully as this stuff is quite hazardous.  That's why the
>	  EPA is cracking down.  (You couldn't pay me enough money to make
>	  me want to handle a jug of tet. lead octane booster.)

This may yet become a big business, with gas stations getting yet
another chance to rip off the consumer by selling gas additives which
boost the octane rating and/or lubrication.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/11/85)

AAARGGHHHH!   Let me set the record straight on aviation fuel --

The standard aviation fuel these days is called 100LL.  It is rated
on a different octane scale than automotive fuel, but is still higher
octane than your everyday automotive stuff.  The octane is boosted
both by lead and by aromatics.

Here's why you probably don't want to use it (most important first):
1) it costs about $2.10 per gallon;
2) you can only get it at an airport;
3) the airport people probably won't sell it to you anyway, because
   a) it might be illegal in your state, road fuel taxes not having been
      collected from aviation fuel;
   b) they have shortages and consider filling planes as top
      priority (not a big problem right now)
4) It is not made with different blends for different seasons in
   different locales, as automotive is -- the Reid Vapor Pressure
   is constant all the time, to prevent vapor lock when flying at
   20,000 feet or whatever.  That means it won't vaporize very well
   in your carburetor at 5 below zero, and starting will be a b**ch.
5) The fuel uses ethylene di-bromide instead of ethylene di-chloride, or
   is it the other way around?  I don't know why you'd care.

You can tune out unless you want to hear about the historical aspects
of aviation fuel...

Over the decades there have been a half-dozen different grades of
aviation fuel, but for the last quarter century only 80/87 and 100/130
were significant.  Even so, refiners & distributors disliked having
to deal with two different grades of fuel, both in (relatively) small
quantities.  So 100LL was developed, a one-size-fits-all aviation
fuel.  Over the last 15 years, virtually all aviation fuel refiners
have switched to 100LL.  The only major refiner that hasn't is
Standard of California (Chevron).

100LL doesn't work very well in engines intended for 80/87 grade fuel,
because it still contains 4 times as much lead as 80/87.  The result
is heavy lead fouling of spark plugs.  This is not nice, because these
engines are typically found only on single-engine planes, and are
4-bangers.  The loss of firing in one cylinder means a 25% power loss.
That means it's time for the pilot to find an airport nearby.

Most of those engine designs are long out of production.  The one that
wasn't, the Lycoming O-235, started being produced with new valves
which were supposed to permit using 100LL.  It didn't work.

Three years ago the FAA started approving, after model-by-model reviews,
using automotive fuel in airplanes whose engines were designed for
80/87.  This process is almost complete, with only a few models which
prefer 80/87 and cannot legally use auto gas left.  The big losers:
the O-235-L owners who get lead fouling from 100LL and can't use
either 80/87 or auto gas!
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (03/11/85)

gned for
80-octane leaded gas are now experiencing stuck exhaust valves, presumably
due to the limited availability of 80-avgas.  Most airports now have only
100/130 leaded or 100-Lowlead gas.  The 100/130 is slightly higher octane,
but has twice as much lead as 100-LL.

The old 80 had something like 0.5cc metallic lead/gallon, while 100LL has
2cc/gal, and 100/130 has 4cc/gal! (I think these are the figures; I'm
more sure of the proportions rather than the actual number of cc's.)

Basically, the problem with older planes has been lead deposits on the
valves.  This is probably caused by the larger quantity of lead in the
newer gasolines, and by the lower combustion temp (or delayed burn) of
the air/fuel mixture.

My aircraft was designed to use either 100LL or 100/130; since the lead
is lower in 100LL (and that's all my home airport has), I use it.

When I fill up with 64 gallons of 100LL, I figure I'm carrying about
3.3 POUNDS of metallic lead! Some of that is bound to end up in my
already looney brain. I'll go for lower lead all the time, thanks.
Opinions expressed above are my own; nobody else is foolish enough.
Rick Auricchio     Cadtec Corp.  2355 Old Oakland Rd, San Jose CA 95131
{decwrl!nsc,csi,onyx,teklds}!cadtec!rick	N1150G	 (408) 942-1535
	"This space available"

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (03/11/85)

> I understand that new cars have special values which are hollow
> and filled with sodium? Does this help decrease combustion chamber
> temps?

The sodium inside such valves melts when it gets hot, and convects inside
the valve.  This convection helps cool the valve by carrying heat up the
stem where the valve can be cooled better.  This can help prevent knocking
(hot valves can cause the fuel to ignite prematurely).  It can also help
keep the valves from burning.  I don't think it would do much to solve the
lack of cushioning and lubrication in the valve seat caused by the lack
of lead.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/12/85)

In article <136@astroatc.UUCP> niemi@astroatc.UUCP writes:

>My ONLY worry over the proposed demise of leaded gas is a feul
>source for outboard motors.  Both my outboards (1966 Johnson
>100 hp,  and 1974 Johnson 15 hp) must run regular LEADED gasoline
>according to the instruction book.  I don't know why (but I would
>like to find out.)  What are the alternatives to leaded gas in
>outboards?

I know why.  Because they're air-cooled motors, run at high
temperatures and hence need lead for lubrication.  Did you know that
there are also air-cooled engines in cars, too?  If you don't believe
me, ask someone who owns a VW Bug/Type 2/Type 3/411/412, a Corvair or
a Porsche 356/911/912/914.  It's true!  They *do* need leaded gas!

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/12/85)

> EPA is not to be commended for anything.  I think they need a head on
> their shoulders but they haven't found one with small enough brains
> yet.  Cars are not the largest contributor to air pollution today, but
> they *are* an easy target for EPA and that's why we get hit.  However,
> they could have just clamped down on new cars and allowed those of us
> running older cars to keep running them on leaded gas.

According to a recent article in the Washington Post, lead from car exhausts
is responsible for symptoms of low-level lead poisoning (hypertension, for
example) in people who live in metropolitan areas.  To me, that sounds
rather serious, and I'm glad EPA is doing something about it.
--

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (03/12/85)

>From: rrh@hocsd.UUCP (r.r.hartoin)
>Newsgroups: net.auto,net.consumers
>Subject: Re: No Leaded Gas -- Now What?
>
>On this no leaded stuff. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine
>in my 69 Buick GS. One of my main objectives is to be able to run on premium
>unleaded. I understand that new cars have special values which are hollow
>and filled with sodium? Does this help decrease combustion chamber
>temps? If so, does this aid running on unleaded. I would also like
>a combustion ratio of 10:1, currently the engine has 10.25:1.
>Any help on how I can rebuild this engine to burn unleaded gas
>would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sodium filled exhaust  valves  have  been  used  in  engines  on  cars  and
airplanes  for  decades  and have nothing to do with gas lead content.  The
sodium is there to provide convective cooling of the valve head and doesn't
affect combustion chamber temperature significantly.

To run unleaded gas, replace your old valves and valve seats with the case-
hardened type designed for unleaded.

Changing the compression ratio  of  your  cylinders  means  changing  their
physical geometry.  This can be done by using a crankshaft with a different
throw and/or by using different pistons. (Milling the cylinder  heads  will
raise the compression ratio -- not what you want.)

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/14/85)

In article <263@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) writes:

>To run unleaded gas, replace your old valves and valve seats with the case-
>hardened type designed for unleaded.

These are not always available.  I have not seen any unleaded-type
valves for VW Bugs (which would really need them due to high cylinder
head temperatures).  And I've seen a LOT of different typese of valves
available, in many sizes and materials.  All for leaded gas.  Maybe
there will be some for unleaded too Real Soon Now since EPA has
decided what we're allowed to drive.

>Changing the compression ratio  of  your  cylinders  means  changing  their
>physical geometry.  This can be done by using a crankshaft with a different
>throw and/or by using different pistons. (Milling the cylinder  heads  will
>raise the compression ratio -- not what you want.)

The compression ratio can sometimes also be changed by adding head
spacers.  At least for (air-cooled) Porsches and VWs you can purchase
spacers to lower your compression.  This is necessary if you have a
way oversize engine (such as a 2180 or 2331 cc) with an inherently higher
compression ratio and want to use regular gas.

kunz@hplsle.UUCP (kunz) (03/14/85)

>>My ONLY worry over the proposed demise of leaded gas is a feul
>>source for outboard motors.  Both my outboards (1966 Johnson
>>100 hp,  and 1974 Johnson 15 hp) must run regular LEADED gasoline
>>according to the instruction book.  I don't know why (but I would
>>like to find out.)  What are the alternatives to leaded gas in
>>outboards?
>
>I know why.  Because they're air-cooled motors, run at high
>temperatures and hence need lead for lubrication.  Did you know that
>there are also air-cooled engines in cars, too?  If you don't believe
>me, ask someone who owns a VW Bug/Type 2/Type 3/411/412, a Corvair or
>a Porsche 356/911/912/914.  It's true!  They *do* need leaded gas!
>

>				   \tom haapanen
>				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

No, Tom, you DON'T know why....  Outboards use water for cooling, or
did you forget what they are used for??

Your comments in this article are consistant with comments you have made
in the past in other articles... demonstrating to us all that you don't
know what you are talking about.

Bob "this is the last tom h article I'll read" Kunz
{ihnp4!hplabs!hp-pcd, fluke, teltone}!hplsla!kunz

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (03/15/85)

[]

	"EPA is not to be commended for anything.  I think they need a
	head on their shoulders but they haven't found one with small
	enough brains yet.  Cars are not the largest contributor to air
	pollution today, but they *are* an easy target for EPA and
	that's why we get hit.  However, they could have just clamped
	down on new cars and allowed those of us running older cars to
	keep running them on leaded gas."

I for one applaud the EPA move.

Cars *are* the largest contributor to air pollution in many parts of
the US, including Southern California where they account for 60% of
smog.

The EPA *did* try clamping down on new cars only.  The result was the
some 20% of new car owners ignored the law and put leaded gasoline into
their "unleaded only" cars, risking a $2000 fine if caught.

But the bottom line for me is that kids in urban areas are showing
the effects of lead poisoning.  Even if we had to junk every car on the
road, I'd say it's worth it to clean up their air.

(By the way, why is someone in Ontario complaining about gas
availability in the US?)

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

marke@sun.uucp (Marke Clinger) (03/15/85)

I think part of the reason for putting lead in gas is for lubrication.
I accidently filled my tank with 92octane unleaded one morning(it was
about four and I was on my way home from work).  My 1967 Ford Mustang
with a 289 v8, which has 175,000 miles on the original engine, never
ran better.  My car had been smoking a little when I first start it
and due to a long over due tune up was pinging.  With the unleaded
gas the pinging went away and so did the smoking.  I had better
acceleration and the gas milage went down.

Marke Clinger

sun!mclinger

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (03/15/85)

> > EPA is not to be commended for anything.  I think they need a head on
> > their shoulders but they haven't found one with small enough brains
> > yet.  Cars are not the largest contributor to air pollution today, but
> > they *are* an easy target for EPA and that's why we get hit.  However,
> > they could have just clamped down on new cars and allowed those of us
> > running older cars to keep running them on leaded gas.
>
> According to a recent article in the Washington Post, lead from car exhausts
> is responsible for symptoms of low-level lead poisoning (hypertension, for
> example) in people who live in metropolitan areas.  To me, that sounds
> rather serious, and I'm glad EPA is doing something about it.
> --

I too am glad they are doing something.  Attacking some of the problem is
certainly better than doing nothing at all.  Maybe I missed something but
it was my impression that the EPA is not eliminating leaded gas but rather
that the economic factors due to the fact that all the new cars use unleaded
gas is making it uneconomical to produce because of lowered demand.  I had
heard rumors, however, of the EPA possibly getting gasoline producers to
lower the amount of lead to the minimum amount required for lubrication
of the valves (which is apparently a small amount).

David Albrecht

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/17/85)

I think the EPA decision stinks. They used the wrong solution for a
problem which may be real. What's the problem? People using leaded
gas in cars designed for unleaded. Why? Because it's cheaper. How
can we stop them? It's already illegal. We can ban leaded gas. Or,
we can tax leaded gas til it's more expensive than unleaded.

That way, people who really think they need leaded will be able to
get it. But people who only use it because it's cheaper will switch
to unleaded. And the government gets more money and (ha ha) can reduce
taxes on other goods.

I think the problem of lead in the environment will be greatly reduced
when leaded gas costs more than unleaded. EPA sucks.
--
 A man without a woman is still a man. But a woman without a man is nothing.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (03/19/85)

> Even if we had to junk every car on the
> road, I'd say it's worth it to clean up their air.
>
> (By the way, why is someone in Ontario complaining about gas
> availability in the US?)

Why is someone with your opinion of cars wasting time reading net.auto?

--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

paul@dual.UUCP (Baker) (03/19/85)

> I think the EPA decision stinks. They used the wrong solution for a
> problem which may be real. What's the problem?

The problem is smelly, stinking, murderous automobiles spewing lead all
over everything.  The EPA made a good start at least.

>  A man without a woman is still a man. But a woman without a man is nothing.

Whatever is this supposed to mean?

Paul Wilcox-Baker.

smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (03/19/85)

> From: andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner)
> Subject: Re: No Leaded Gas -- Now What?
> Date: Fri, 15-Mar-85 00:25:09 EST
>
> Cars *are* the largest contributor to air pollution in many parts of
> the US, including Southern California where they account for 60% of
> smog.

In what part of the country do trees cause the most pollution (besides
the White House of course).    :-)
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!axiom!smk	(UUCP)

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/20/85)

> > Even if we had to junk every car on the
> > road, I'd say it's worth it to clean up their air.
> >
> > (By the way, why is someone in Ontario complaining about gas
> > availability in the US?)
> >

> Why is someone with your opinion of cars wasting time reading net.auto?
>
> --
>                     Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
>                           ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

I would imagine he was responding to the posting on net.consumers, not
net.auto.

By the way:  remember all those newspaper stories about children getting
lead poisoning from old lead paint?  My girlfriend -- who is an
epidemiologist -- says that the cause was not lead paint.  It seems that car
exhausts put lead in the air and on the ground, and then the kids go out and
play in the streets and get their hands dirty, and whenever they put their
hands in their mouths they get a dose of lead.
--

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/20/85)

In article <1400@orca.UUCP> andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>(By the way, why is someone in Ontario complaining about gas
>availability in the US?)

Because Environment Canada will follow slavishly in the footsteps of
the EPA.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/20/85)

Most engines have had hardened valves for years and years. no
problem there for most cars less than 20-30 years old. (antiques
are another story)  That doesn't means that no-lead is ok for them,
however.  For several years, many engines rotated the valves,
which reduced various problems.  Engines that rotate their valves
HAVE TO HAVE LEADED GAS. period.

When no-lead became popular/necessary, the engine designers had to
take out the valve rotators.  It's interesting to look at how various
companies accomplished valve rotation.  Detroit used rather complicated
Rube Goldberg type things, that appear to be a failure waiting to happen.
Turn the page and learn how Volkwagon did it.  They just put the
rocker arm slightly off-center.  Simplicity itself.  No additional parts
to fail, cost more, complicate assembly, etc.

So, before you feed your classic a steady diet of no-lead, check to see
if the valves are rotated.

As far as keeping bozos from putting leaded gas into cars with
cat-verters, they don't need to ban lead totally, just make unleaded
cheaper.

        _____
        |___|           the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
                        -the fortune AI project

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (03/22/85)

> Engines that rotate their valves
> HAVE TO HAVE LEADED GAS. period.

Can you give a specific reason why this is true?  I know the books I read
say the valve rotation is good because it keeps the valve heads and
seats wearing evenly (like grinding a lens).  What does this have to
do with lead?
--

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (03/23/85)

>From: seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy)
>Newsgroups: net.auto,net.consumers
>Subject: Re: No Leaded Gas -- Now What?

>As far as keeping bozos from putting leaded gas into cars with
>cat-verters, they don't need to ban lead totally, just make unleaded
>cheaper.

I drive a '67 Chevy II station wagon these  days.  A  few  years  ago,  the
original engine gave up (after 200K miles) and I decided to bite the bullet
and put in a new one. $1500 later I had a new '78 engine in  my  '67  heap.
Creature  of habit that I am (and starving student that I was), I continued
to use leaded regular, not realizing that the '78 engine was  designed  for
unleaded.  After  a  year  or two of rough running, hard starting, missing,
and general aggravation, I tried a tank  of  unleaded  regular  (I  was  no
longer  a  starving  student,  so what the hell?).  That's when I made this
(embarassing) discovery:

An engine designed  for  unleaded  gas  runs  best  on  unleaded  gas.  THE
DIFFERENCE  IN MILEAGE MORE THAN MAKES UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE.  Not
to mention the reduced maintenance due to lead fouling  of  plugs,  valves,
etc.

I hope some of the above mentioned bozos read this.  One more time:

IT IS CHEAPER TO RUN AN ENGINE MEANT FOR UNLEADED ON UNLEADED THAN ON LEADED.

Got that?

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (03/27/85)

>   The EPA never enforced the use of leaded gasolines (and still doesn't)
>   unless your car is equipped with a catalytic converter ...

I don't think this is true.  I have a 1980 Honda Accord.  The 1980 Accord
(and earlier models) don't have a catalytic converter, because they have
a stratified charge engine which passed the emissions requirements without
it.  Up till the 1980 model, they were allowed to use leaded gasoline; but
the 1980 requires unleaded gasoline eventhough there is no catalytic
converter present.  (This does not apply to the California model, which did
have one even in 1980).
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer