[net.auto] Foes of 55

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (02/23/85)

Is anyone out there interested in killing 55?
Of all the crackpot activist groups out there, is there one devoted to
this noble and holy goal?

Rei Shinozuka
ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627

mag@whuxlm.UUCP (Gray Michael A) (02/24/85)

> Is anyone out there interested in killing 55?
> Of all the crackpot activist groups out there, is there one devoted to
> this noble and holy goal?
>
> Rei Shinozuka
> ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627

Yes, I'd like speed limits to be determined by states, not the feds.
There are many situations where 55 is too low.

Mike Gray, BTL, WH

brooke@nmtvax.UUCP (02/28/85)

In article <> mag@whuxlm.UUCP (Gray Michael A) writes:
>> Is anyone out there interested in killing 55?
>> Of all the crackpot activist groups out there, is there one devoted to
>> this noble and holy goal?
>>
>> Rei Shinozuka
>> ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627
>
>Yes, I'd like speed limits to be determined by states, not the feds.
>There are many situations where 55 is too low.
>
>Mike Gray, BTL, WH

The speed limits ARE determined by the states, but the states are
coerced by the federales under the constitutional guise of regulating
interstate commerce (whence most of the modern federal government's power
arises).

It has been shown that in western states, fatalities rose slightly after
the imposition of 55 -- presumably because of increased fatigue
resulting from taking longer to get everywhere.  On roads where 55 is
not meritted, I ignore it for as much speed as I can get without being a
hazard.  Of course, I try to keep it around 70 because I've never had a
ticket in my life and 70 and under means no points if I do.  On roads
that had higher speed limits but were dangerous, I'm all for 55, 45, 35
or whatever is needed to keep smart people informed of what's ahead and
to keep idiots from going beyond safe bounds.  These limits can and
should be set properly only by the local authorities.

Ronald Reagan promised to get rid of 55 in his '80 campaign, but, like
the deficit, it is still with us.  We could always try uncivil obedience
(NOT civil disobedience) and put an orange sticker in our rear window
(or something) and when we see some others, block off the freeways to
normal speeds (once suggested in Car & Driver).  Maybe we'd annoy enough
people more to get some response from our legislatures -- who should not
be bullied by the federales.  I think there was a war from 1861 to 1865
one of the reasons for which was federale tinkering -- and it's gotten
worse ever since.

Rise against 55!
--

        J. Brooke King at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
                        ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/05/85)

> Of course, I try to keep it around 70 because I've never had a
> ticket in my life and 70 and under means no points if I do.  On roads
> that had higher speed limits but were dangerous, I'm all for 55, 45, 35
> or whatever is needed to keep smart people informed of what's ahead and
> to keep idiots from going beyond safe bounds.

***     AC  T              YOUR     AGE ***

Let's leave 55 alone!  The 55 speed limit makes people drive 70.  If
you put the limit back up to 70, the crazy mothers will drive at 85.

I take a couple of trips downstate each month.  The only people on
I-57 who go 55 are the ones following the staties at close range.
In the absence a patrol car, most people drive at or near 70, and
you've *still* got some turkeys who drive at speeds near 80.  Once
in a while I'll see one of these douchebags hauled over a few miles
up the road, and I cheer and whistle.

I keep it around 70 myself, because it keeps me comfortable in the
traffic.  When the limit was still 70, I obeyed it, but there were
a lot of people who thought they could drive at 80 and still be
safe drivers because they thought they were so good behind the
wheel.  They neglected to realize that there was one law that they
*couldn't* break, namely the one that states:

		Ek = (1/2) M * v**2

A lot of them found out the hard way, and unfortunately didn't
get the chance to learn from their experiences.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

mzal@pegasus.UUCP (Mike Zaleski) (03/06/85)

   Indented excerpts from: pegasus!ahuta!drutx!ihnp4!ihlpg!fish
   Let's leave 55 alone!  The 55 speed limit makes people drive 70.  If
   you put the limit back up to 70, the crazy mothers will drive at 85.

   I take a couple of trips downstate each month.  The only people on
   I-57 who go 55 are the ones following the staties at close range.

There's always a cop around when you don't want one.

   In the absence a patrol car, most people drive at or near 70, and
   you've *still* got some turkeys who drive at speeds near 80.  Once
   in a while I'll see one of these douchebags hauled over a few miles
   up the road, and I cheer and whistle.

What are you cheering and whistling for?  The thrill of seeing the
police crack another major criminal conspiricy?  The thrill of seeing
the state's coffers grow?

Probably if you would pay attention to the road instead of cheering
and whistling, it would contribute as much to highway safety as
pulling the evil speeder over.

   I keep it around 70 myself, because it keeps me comfortable in the
   traffic.  When the limit was still 70, I obeyed it ...

Take an "around 70" trip through Connecticuit sometime.  My ex-girlfirend
just got nabbed there for 63 on an interstate.  The fine? $83.  How
comfortable would you be with the dumb speed limit then?

If you like the law, then remember it is THE LAW.  ANYTHING over
55 is a CRIME.  If you're really lucky, you might spend some time
in the slammer if you get pulled over at night and can't post bail.

The 55 MPH limit is a dumb idea.  Period.

-- Mike^Z   Zaleski@Rutgers    [ allegra!, ihnp4! ] pegasus!mzal

mab@hou4a.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (03/06/85)

>Let's leave 55 alone!  The 55 speed limit makes people drive 70.  If
>you put the limit back up to 70, the crazy mothers will drive at 85.
>
>I keep it around 70 myself, because it keeps me comfortable in the
>traffic.

	Just because you are comfortable at 70 could also mean that you
do not have as good a performing car as me (Mazda RX-7, best at 78mph)
or other people on the road and that you may not be as good an interstate
driver as me (110 miles a day commuting on the New Jersey Turnpike) or
other people.

	KILL THE 55 MPH NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT !!!

--
Michael Brochstein     AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
ihnp4!hou4a!mab        (201) 834-3482

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (03/07/85)

I can't pass this one up.  One of our posters said that his car
performs best at 78mph.  Then he goes on to say that he travels
the Jersey Turnpike every day.  Putting 2 and 2 together, I assume
that this person is trying to go 78mph on the Pike every day.
Well now, for ANYONE trying to do 78 down the Pike during the
rush hour, I think they need a frontal lobotomy.  There is just
no way anyone should be trying to traverse that highway during the
rush hour at that speed.  I also assume that this person is one
of those who weaves in and out of all three lanes while they
are trying to maintain 78mph.  If this is true, then they
perhaps need a complete brain transplant.  The weaving in and
out at high speeds is one of this highest causes of accidents
on the afformentioned highway (ask any statie).  I would
suggest that this person put their ego back in their pocket
and use a little common sense when driving on this highway.
T. C. Wheeler

robert@nmtvax.UUCP (03/28/85)

Dear Sir,

	It is obvious that you have not studied logic.  The man said that
his car runs best at 78 mph.  He also commutes on the PIKE.  It is a
fallacy to believe that if he travelled the Pike during rush hour, that
he would even be able to weave through the traffic at 78 (I used to live
in LA don't tell me about crowded 5 lane highways.)  It appears that you
are looking for an argument and any grounds for attacking your opponents
is OK.  It appears that you are as guilty as anyone else.  I'll bet you
drive your 40 hp VW bug 35 on residential streets.

                              Speed for the Sane,
                              (What works in Europe,
                               ought to work here.
                               Maybe we aren't smart enough...)

                              Robert Kenyon
                              ...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!robert
Torpedo the moron, I want the fast lane...