[comp.archives] [graphics] Compression of multi-bit images

ashok@atrp.mit.edu (Ashok C. Popat) (07/04/90)

Archive-name: arith-coding/03-Jul-90
Archive-site: cod.nosc.mil [128.49.16.5]
Archive-directory: /pub
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Jun7.114905.1714@athena.mit.edu> ashok@atrp.mit.edu (Ashok C. Popat) writes:
>In article <SPENCER.90Jun4170821@spline.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>>Lossless methods:
>>
>>Simple Huffman (adaptive or otherwise (the Unix 'pack' program) may do
>>well if the pixel intensity (consider R,G,B values separately)
>>histogram is not flat, even on scanned images.  Arithmetic coding will
>>do better, but is harder to do.
>
>Among arithmetic codes, those designed for a two-letter source
>alphabet have received the most attention (for example, the Q-coder
>has been talked about a lot recently).  Although it is possible to
>encode an arbitrary source with a binary arithmetic code, it is not
>the right thing to do for a bunch of reasons.  The right thing to do
>in most cases is to use an arithmetic code that handles a multi-letter
>source alphabet directly.  The basic principles of such a code are
>simple but the details are a little complicated.  I describe the
>details of a suitable arithmetic code in chapt. 3 of my SM thesis,
>which I'll make available in (Postscript form) via anonymous ftp
>somewhere if enough people are interested.  Let me
>(ashok@atrp.mit.edu) know if you're interested.

The thesis and some C code to do arithmetic coding is now available
for anonymous ftp on cod.nosc.mil (internet number = ?) in /pub under
arith_coding.tar.Z.  Thanks much to herman@marlin.nosc.mil for kindly
putting it there.

Ashok Chhabedia Popat   Swiss Federal Institute of Technology,  Lausanne