[comp.archives] [news.sysadmin...] Re: Is it possible to ln the spool/uucp news files to save space?

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (07/05/90)

Archive-name: uucast/05-Jul-90
Archive-site: van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca [128.189.233.155]
Archive-directory: /pub/news
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <201572@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>In batching all the articles for several sites I feed, I would like
>to link all of the D.* files in spool/uucp, (data files only), so that I
>could save on disk space. Is this possible, and if so, what format do I
>need to create the C.* files in?

I've been doing this for years. It works great.

You can either fake it with a shell script, by knowing what the name of a
file will be after being copied by uux, you can replace it with a link
to the file you want sent. Something like:

	uux site!rnews < /dev/null
	ln batch /usr/spool/uucp/site/D........

Even better is uucast by Shane McCarron.

It allows you to do a multiple site uux like:

	uucast batchfile rnews sitea siteb sitec sited .....

I don't know where it is available from, I got a copy from somewhere a year
or so ago.

I've put a copy in:

	van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca:~ftp/pub/news/uucast.tar.Z

If there are enough requests I can post a shar file, it's a fairly small
amount of code.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)