[comp.archives] [gcc] Re: Compiling gcc-1.36

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (07/06/90)

Archive-name: apollo-gcc/05-Jul-90
Archive-site: labrea.stanford.edu [36.8.0.47]
Archive-directory: /pub/gnu
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9006271621.AA27865@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov> chris@ASYLUM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Chris Shenton) writes:
>Trying to compile gcc-1.36 on Apollo running SR10.2 (BSD4.3 universe).
>
>Apparantly, apollo's C doesn't support .s assembler files, to I got GNU gas
>running. How do I tell the Makefiles and friends to *use* `gas', rather than
>continuing to look for `as'?

You can pick up my patches for gcc on the Apollo, but you'll need to get
version 1.37.1 of gcc and version 1.35 of gas. Here are the details:

Changes required to build gcc 1.37.1, g++ 1.37.1, and libg++ 1.37.0
for Apollo 68K platforms are now available. The changes are in the
form of compressed tar files containing new versions of files to
replace those from the virgin FSF distributions.

The following files are available via anonymous ftp from
labrea.stanford.edu (36.8.0.47) in the pub/gnu directory:

	APOLLO-GCC-README		4197 bytes
	APOLLO-G++-README		6379 bytes
	APOLLO-LIBG++-README		5906 bytes
	apollo-gcc-1.37.1.tar.Z	      253407 bytes
	apollo-g++-1.37.1.tar.Z       418879 bytes
	apollo-libg++-1.37.0.tar.Z     43532 bytes

The README files explain what is involved in building each component.
Gcc must be built and installed in order to build g++, which must be
built and installed in order to build libg++.  The README files are
also included in the tar packages, but are available separately in
case you want to see what's involved first.

The gcc-1.37.1 changes fix several problems which were reported to me
by folks who tried my earlier gcc-1.37 changes. Also, you'll need the
gcc-1.37.1 changes in order to get g++ built, even if you already have
gcc 1.37 running.

I have only tried out these changes on SR10.2, using the 6.7 version
of the Apollo C compiler. There may be problems with earlier releases
of Domain/OS and the C compiler.

If you do not have ftp access, I can mail you the changes in the form
of diffs. If you request them, be sure to give me a voice phone number
so I can contact you in case I can't send you mail; I've had several
requests in the past from people I can't contact.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
(508) 256-6600 x6362      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta