[comp.archives] [comp.mail.uucp] Re: differences between smail 2.5 and smail 3.x

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/07/90)

Archive-name: smail3.1/06-Jul-90
Archive-site: van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca [128.189.233.155]
Archive-directory: /pub/mail
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>"Smail 3" is really GNU sendmail in all but name.  Its only relationship
>to smail 2.5 seems to be naming coincidence and/or someone's intention
>that it be a logical successor.  All the code is new, and it's huuuge.

Smail3.1 has nothing to do with the GNU project (yet). Plans are to offer it
to the FSF at some future date. Yes, it's big. That's what happens when
you write software with comments and documentation :-)

>My impression, shared with others judging from mailed comments, is that
>UUCP leaf sites don't need smail 3 -- smail 2.5 plus Deliver give total
>flexibility and functionality at a fraction of the code size and
>complexity.  Networked sites and domain servers can probably make full
>use of Smail 3's features.

Leaf sites don't need it, but I recommend it for System V sites that
are leaf nodes, if only so that they will get some proper headers inserted
into their mail.

Smail3.1 is basically a drop in replacement for sendmail. Unlike sendmail,
you talk to it in a way that bears a much closer resemblance to english
that .cf files do. It provides great flexability in choosing how, when,
and where to route your mail. It also runs on a very large number of
UNIX platforms. (I've run it under Ultrix {1.2,2.3}, SunOS {3.5,4.0.3},
System V Release 3.2.2 on 3b2's and 6386E's (both with Wollongong TCP),
and CTIX 3.20 and 5.23.)

The code is still in ALPHA test, although it is reliable enough to run
as a production MTA. The code is being made available now due to the
number of requests the authors have been receiving. A more stable BETA
release (smail3.2) will be released later this year, probably via one of
the comp.sources groups.

>The latest smail 3.1 was announced a while ago for FTP, I forget where;
>but UUNET's archives will probably get it shortly -- look at
>pub/smail3.tar.Z in the ls-lR and see if it's the July release.

Yes, it's on uunet, but I'm not sure where. You could also try the
following:

  From: lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg)
  Newsgroups: can.uucp,can.general
  Subject: smail 3.1 availability
  Date: 28 Jun 90 20:58:25 GMT

  For those of you who attended the smail3.1 BOF at the NET90
  conference, the source code is now available for anonymous
  ftp/uucp access from van-bc. The compressed tar archive is
  902701 bytes.

  To ftp it, connect to van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca [128.189.233.155]
  using login anonymous, password guest, and take a copy of
  /pub/mail/smail3.1.19.Z in BINARY mode.

  For uucp access, request the file van-bc!~ftp/pub/mail/smail3.1.19.Z
  using one of the following:

  PEP:	   +1 604 939 4782   login: nuucp    password: nuucp
  2400/1200  +1 604 939 4756   login: nuucp    password: nuucp

  Sites with uucp connections to aunro or atha can uucp the file
  from ...!~/smail3.1.19.Z.

  If you cannot use the above methods, I'm willing to cut tapes in the
  following formats:

  	Sun 1/4 inch cart (60 or 150 MB)
  	1/2 inch 9 track (1600 or 6250 BPI)
  	Exabyte 8mm
  	3b2/1000 1/4 inch cart

  To get the distribution on magnetic media, send a blank tape of your
  choice with a cover letter indicating the format you require to me
  at the address listed below. Please include an email address or
  daytime telephone number where you can be reached. Don't forget to
  include a return postal address, or your tape will be added to my
  archive collection.

  I'm also thinking of starting an smail3.1 users list. If you're interested
  in participating, please let me know.

  Finally, to those of you waiting for direct email information, I will
  be sending you detailed information next week. I apologize for they delay.
  Things have been a wee bit busy since I returned, and I'm in the process
  of moving ... :-(

  	Lyndon Nerenberg
  	Computing Services
  	Athabasca University
  	Box 10,000
  	Athabasca, Alberta
  	T0G 2R0

--
     Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
         {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca