[comp.archives] [rec.games.hack] Re: MUD Nethack?

eapu034@orion.oac.uci.edu (Carl F. Edman) (07/17/90)

Archive-name: myth/13-Jul-90
Archive-site: jyu.fi [128.214.7.5]
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Jul10114124@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[lngo@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Linh D. Ngo) writes:]
>[] Is a multi-player version of Nethack available in the near-future? It seems
>[] the next logical progression of Nethack would be multi-user interaction
>[] much like that of MUD (Multi-User Dungeon).
>
>rumor has it that "Multi-player NetHack is a myth".  i've seen hints
>of such a game called "Myth" but i can't remember where it is to be
>found.  i think "Myth" is what you're looking for (haven't played it
>myself for religious reasons ...).
>
>  -dave-
>hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu
Myth is available via anonymous ftp from jyu.fi (128.214.7.5). The source
is in C++(ATT), and I have not been able to make it run so far. Also it has
only been tested on Suns(3 and 4). The site is in Finnland(I assume) and ftp
transfers are really slow, so to transfer the source can take 10 minutes.
If someone installs it somewhere here in the US please let me know.

 Send mail/sourcecode/flames(esp.!) to  cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
 "There's nothing remarkable about it.  All one has to do is hit
 the  right  keys  at  the  right time and the computer programs
 itself."         -- Carl Edman [with apologies to J. S. Bach]