[comp.archives] [next] Re: Where does the mail go???

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (07/26/90)

Archive-name: mailmanager/25-Jul-90
Archive-site: ftphost.cac.washington.edu [128.95.112.1]
Archive-directory: /pub
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Jul25.171915.12545@cs.cmu.edu> Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) writes:
>In article <6791@helios.TAMU.EDU> jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon)
>writes:
>> Just a simple question...  Where the h### does my NeXT mail go
>> when it just disappears from my Active.mbox for absolutely no
>> reason whatsoever???
>I was just investigating this on one of the machines we have here.  It
>appears that under some conditions the table_of_contents file in your
>Active.mbox directory can become corrupted.  To retrieve the missing mail,
>I quit Mail, deleted the table of contents and restarted mail.  Mail
>automatically rebuilt the table of contents and the missing mail magically
>reappeared.

Better yet, punt the NeXT Mail.app and use the University of
Washington's MailManager tool (or its novice version EasyMail)
instead.  These programs handle local mail files in both
/usr/spool/mail and mail.txt format as well as remote mailboxes via
the IMAP2 (RFC-1064) protocol.

Unlike Mail.app, MailManager concentrates on giving the user a high
level of functionality ("bells and whistles" if you prefer) and
reliability instead of flashy "chrome" (e.g. the silly low-res bitmaps
of people's faces) that looks neat but isn't really useful.  If you
live in a closed NeXT-only world then Mail.app may be alright, but in
the nitty-gritty world of Internet mail MailManager is the way to go.

They are available for FTP from FTPHOST.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU as
pub/MailManager and pub/EasyMail.

 _____   | ____ ___|___   /__ Mark Crispin, 206 842-2385, R90/6 pilot, DoD#0105
 _|_|_  -|- ||   __|__   /  / 6158 Lariat Loop NE   "Gaijin! Gaijin!"
|_|_|_|  |\-++-  |===|  /  /  Bainbridge Island, WA "Gaijin ha doko ka?"
 --|--  /| ||||  |___|    /\  USA 98110-2098        "Niichan ha gaijin."
  /|\    | |/\| _______  /  \ "Chigau. Gaijin ja nai. Omae ha gaijin darou"
 / | \   | |__|  /   \  /    \"Iie, boku ha nihonjin." "Souka. Yappari gaijin!"
Hee, dakedo UNIX nanka wo tsukatte, umaku ikanaku temo shiranai yo.