[comp.archives] [alt.fractals] Re: Fractal generator for X?

t31662k@kaira.hut.fi (Andreas Gustafsson) (07/29/90)

Archive-name: mandelspawn/28-Jul-90
Archive-site: funic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100]
Archive-directory: /pub/unix/X11R4/contrib
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <2269@kiwi.mpr.ca> ritchie@dssmv2.UUCP (Stuart Ritchie) writes:
> Can anyone recommend a fractal generator that runs under X windows?
> Something like the PC's FRACTINT would be nice.
> We have a Sun SPARCstation with a colour monitor...

If you have a network of several (possibly different) machines, you
may want to look at MandelSpawn by yours truly.  It currently does
only Mandelbrot and Julia sets, but it can distribute the calculations
over an IP network to do them in parallel on a large number of hosts.
A typical 1k x 1k pixel colour Mandelbrot picture is displayed in
about 30 seconds on a network of 30 workstations, mostly 68030-based.
MandelSpawn is available by anonymous FTP from funic.funet.fi:
/pub/unix/X11R4/contrib/ms-0.04.tar.Z.

Another parallel Mandelbrot program for X, written by Rob Swiston and
Chuck Simmons and apparently not related to MandelSpawn, was posted
to alt.sources in April.
--
Andreas Gustafsson
Internet: gson@niksula.hut.fi