[comp.archives] [postscript] Re: even and odd page separator.

cjroehrig@poppy.uwaterloo.ca (Chris J. Roehrig) (08/06/90)

Archive-name: pstools/05-Aug-90
Archive-site: sonata.cc.purdue.edu [128.210.15.30]
Archive-directory: /pub/next/source
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <14709@unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>I am looking for a tool to separate odd and even page from a PS file.
>At the end I want to be able to print double sided.

There is a shell script to do this in the NeXT ftp site at
sonata.cc.purdue.edu under /pub/next/source called pstools.
It creates two .ps files, one containing odd pages and one
containing even pages. However, I have had problems getting
it to work on complicated documents.  (When most of the BuzzNUG
files (NeXT newsletters produced by FrameMaker) are run through
it, the resulting two files end up generating syntax errors.)
It may work ok for simple things, though.

If anyone knows of a better program, I'd like to hear about it, too.

An aside on counting postscript pages: if this script can determine
which pages are even or odd, surely it could be modified to just
produce a count of the pages!

Chris Roehrig   (croehrig@audiolab.UWaterloo.ca)
Audio Research Group
University of Waterloo, Canada