[comp.archives] [xpert] Re: Viewing Postscript on X

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/16/90)

Archive-name: ralpage/15-Aug-90
Archive-site: expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212]
Archive-directory: /contrib
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

ssdken@watson.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) writes:
>I have tried xps, but it doesn't work too well.  Are
>there any other tools (PD or commercial) that allow me to view
>Postscript files under X11R4??

xps users will probably find ralpage
(expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/ralpage.tar.Z) a significant step up.  On a
DS3100, I found it faster than dxpsview (the Display PS based
thingmajig) for the demos I tried.

Note that using a PostScript previewer to preview either TeX or troff
output (which is frequently what people ask for PS previewers for) is
not a good idea unless you have embedded PostScript in the document.
Specialized TeX or troff previewers invariably do a better job. (xdvi,
xtex or xditview, xproof, xtroff).

	Mark.