[comp.archives] [gnu.emacs] Re: Is xinfo a real program?

lum@spock.eng.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (08/21/90)

Archive-name: tops-20-info/21-Aug-90
Archive-site: osu-20.cis.ohio-state.edu [128.146.8.22]
Archive-directory: info:
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9008161733.AA03824@zerkalo.harvard.edu> thakur@ZERKALO.HARVARD.EDU ("Manavendra K. Thakur") writes:
>I read recently in this newsgroup about a program called xinfo, which
>is supposed to be an X Windows program that allows a user to browse
>through info files.
>
>Does such a program really exist, or am I imagining things?
>
>If it does exist, where/how can I get it?

XINFO does exist, but as far as I know it has somewhat less than
nothing to do with "X Windows";  it is, after all, about fifteen years
old.  It is the standalone clone of the Emacs Info Subsystem, and got
that name because the TOPS-20 system has a built-in INFO command.
On ITS it is of course called just INFO.

If you want, you can get a copy from `osu-20.cis.ohio-state.edu', but,
of course, you'll need a PDP-10 ("DEC-10" or "DEC-20") to run it on.
Login for anonymous FTP and pickup SYS:EMACS.EXE, SYS:XINFO.EXE, and
anything in the EMACS: and INFO: directories that looks interesting.

The format for info files is the same as for the GNU Emacs Info
Subsystem, modulo the fact that GNU Emacs is rather on the small-ish
side compared to the PDP-10 ITS/TWENEX Emacs, so GNU Emacs can't deal
with such large files.  That means that most of the info files you
might pickup will have to be "split" before you can use them, such as
the INFO:JARGON.INFO file which contains the old ARPANET glossary.

I'll really miss these beautiful old dinosaurs when they're gone.

Lum
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."