[net.auto] Air Bears

pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) (04/09/85)

                                 -
>From: daveb@reed.UUCP (David Billstrom)
 .
Caught by a bear in the air:
 .
>Any ideas to get out of this ticket?  I'm presuming not, since it seemed to
>be quite a production (several traffic cars) and thus I'm presuming they
>made sure the exercise was legal.  I figure I don't have much of a chance
>claiming mistaken identity, since my black VW GTI is pretty distinctive.
>I WAS going faster than 55.

Back in the days when I lived in New York, I had reason to know the
laws  pretty  well.   One  thing  I  am sure of is that in New York
State, circa 1966 to 1979,   when a summons   (yclept  "citation,"
"ticket," etc., elsewhere) was given by a police officer, s/he must
have personally witnessed the  violation  her/himself.   Otherwise,
the summons could have been successfully challenged in court on the
grounds that here-say evidence was  inadmissible  for  *violations*
(not necessarily misdemeanors or felonies).

If this holds true today and in other states, then  tickets  issued
by officer B when officer A observed the violation, could be beaten
in court. There is certainly legal precedent, anyway.

As for bears in the air: I would think that a successful  challenge
based  on the fact that mistaken identity is *possible* because the
officer did not have the alleged offender under observation at  all
times  from  the  moment of infraction to the moment of issuance of
the ticket.  FAA rules, after all, prohibit  flight  at  under  500
feet  over roadways, so how good an observation could be made? Toss
in some IFR conditions, twisty little maze type roads, lots'o traf-
fic,  mix  well  and  serve  to  the  judge.  (Yes, your honor, the
speeding vehicle was definitely black- or some other dark color, or
perhaps  white and dirty, and was a car with four wheels or maybe 2
motorcycles close together.)

Any legal minds care to comment?

 Paul Given             {ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!pagiven
              AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
 11900 N. Pecos, Rm 1B04, Denver 80234              (303)-538-4058