[net.auto] Bells, Whistles, & Alarms

vhml@pyuxd.UUCP (V.Houston) (04/08/85)

I just purchased a new set of wheels.  I haven't taken possession yet,
so I have a little time in which to learn about car alarm systems -
desireable/undesireable features, which systems can be defeated by
the two year old on the block, which manufacturers put out quality
products, etc.  Could those of you out in net land stop flashing your
high beams long enough to clue me in on another alarming topic.  [Ugh
after that I probably won't get any responses.]

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (04/09/85)

<I just purchased a new set of wheels.  I haven't taken possession yet,
<so I have a little time in which to learn about car alarm systems -
<desireable/undesireable features, which systems can be defeated by
<the two year old on the block, which manufacturers put out quality
<products, etc.  Could those of you out in net land stop flashing your
<high beams long enough to clue me in on another alarming topic.  [Ugh
<after that I probably won't get any responses.]

May I suggest a Chapman Lock system ?  The main system is a hood locking
mechanism that really works by dead-bolting the hood closed.  Other additions
include an alarm that will cut off the fuel supply, kill the spark from
the coil.  The key for this is mounted in the car.  It gives you ten seconds
to turn the key after entering the DRIVER'S door.  Opening the passenger
door or trunk sets the alarm off immediately.  The alarm sounds for five
minutes and then the car re-arms itself.  The car is protected from being
moved as it has a motion detector and an option was to set the alarm off
if the glass was broken.

Other options:

"air alert"                - a pocket paging system
flashing lights interface  - lights flash when alarm is set off
horn honker interface      - horn beeps with alarm
panic button               - interior switch to allow you to set off siren
                             while in car
passive interface system   - alarm is set for you when key is removed from
                             ignition

Another good product I hear about is the Ungo Box.  When I was shopping
around for an alarm, no installers wanted to work with it because it
was unreliable.  EVERYONE recommended the Chapman Lock system to me.
Recently, I've heard the the Ungo box has become more reliable.

Just remember.  No matter what you do to protect you car, if a professional
car thief wants your car,  he's gonna get it !

							Good luck,
							Mark

chefitz@harvard.ARPA (Harry Chefitz) (04/10/85)

> I just purchased a new set of wheels.  I haven't taken possession yet,
> so I have a little time in which to learn about car alarm systems -
> desireable/undesireable features, which systems can be defeated by
> the two year old on the block, which manufacturers put out quality
> products, etc.

About 4 months ago, I asked this question and received many responses.  The
most popular device seems to be the Chapman Lok which acts as a killer
switch and a dead-bolt lock for the hood.  Other people wrote about
special locks for their wheels and some had devices to cover their stereos
to make them look like cheap AM radios.

I ended up getting the Chapman Lok plus a siren.  The only reason I got
the siren is that I was also concerned with someone ripping off my
stereo.

However, I just read in the paper of this NEW anti-theft device that the
manufacturers are so sure about that they will give you $1000 on top of
what the insurance company gives if your car is stolen.  What is this new
device?  Some acid and a few templates.  It is used to etch your id number
on the windows of your car.  Chop shops will ignore these cars like the
plague.  They can't rub out the numbers so they can't use the parts.

The company says that in their three years of business, nobody has collected
the $1000 offer.

--
Harry H. Chefitz

UUCP: {seismo, ihnp4, allegra, ut-sally}!harvard!chefitz
ARPA: chefitz@harvard

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (04/10/85)

In article <> vhml@pyuxd.UUCP (V.Houston) writes:
>I just purchased a new set of wheels.  I haven't taken possession yet,
>so I have a little time in which to learn about car alarm systems -
>desireable/undesireable features, which systems can be defeated by
>the two year old on the block, which manufacturers put out quality
>products, etc.  Could those of you out in net land stop flashing your
>high beams long enough to clue me in on another alarming topic.  [Ugh
>after that I probably won't get any responses.]

  Me too!  Remember me, the one who HAD a Subaru BRAT with the
  misaligned headlights?  Well that one was totaled last year
  and I have just gotten around to buying a new car.  Since my
  boyfriend lives in a high risk district (try South Bronx and
  West Philly) I figure I'll need to set up some sort of alarm
  system.  Please help?

                               Clare