[comp.archives] [comp.lang.prolog] Re: Prolog program/library repository

Archive-name: prolog-archives/26-Aug-90
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <9640@bunny.GTE.COM>, tomf@GTE.COM (Tom Fawcett) writes:
> I remember hearing several years ago that there is a repository of Prolog
> programs/libraries on one of the Stanford machines.  Does this repository
> still exist?  Could someone mail me the machine and directory names?

Chuck Restivo was looking after it when he was running the Prolog Digest.
As I recall it, the machine was decommissioned; I could be mistaken.

> I also heard that it contains just the Prolog libraries from Edinburgh, most
> of which are now distributed with Quintus Prolog.  Is this true?

1.  The DEC-10 Prolog library (with a couple of extra things) is available
    from the AI Applications Institute at the University of Edinburgh.
    The UK ALP are also putting together a Prolog library, which will
    include this.  (No FTP access yet.)

2.  The <Prolog> directory at Stanford had quite a number of things which
    were _not_ in the DEC-10 Prolog library.  There was a bridge-playing
    program, there were a couple of compilers for committed-choice parallel
    languages, things like that.  I've no idea where that stuff went.
    (For committed-choice languages, there is a sort of "evaluation kit"
    supposed to be available from the University of Edinburgh.)

3.  The Quintus Prolog library contains about 2/3rds of the DEC-10 Prolog
    library (which was written by people who later joined Quintus), plus
    lots and lots of extra goodies.  About half of the QP library is
    Edinburgh-derived, and that half has been cleaned up and speeded up
    and corrected.  It comes free with Quintus Prolog.

--
The taxonomy of Pleistocene equids is in a state of confusion.