[net.auto] Need help choosing small car!!!

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (02/27/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

I'm trying to replace my 1976 Honda Civic CVCC 5-speed with
something in the same class.

Desirable features:  Low cost, good handling, peppiness,
      high reliability.
Don't really care about: Lots of fancy equipment, blinding speed,
     room for more than two adults except occasionally.

I have been looking at several cars in the price range of
$7500 or so, and have made the following observations:

Honda Civic S:  A lot like the car I have now.  Nimble, peppy,
     cramped in the back, fairly small under the hatch, hard to get.

Toyota Corolla:  More expensive, kind of sluggish.

VW Golf:  Powerful, roomy, good handling and riding, but
      a brand-new model.

Nissan Sentra (think this is the model): expensice if you want the
      hatchback.

Renault Encore:  OK, but nothing special.

Chevy Spectrum:  Same as Encore, also a brand-new model, and who
       knows how long they will be imported?

Mazda GLC:  Surprisingly powerful and smooth riding, and not too expensive.
       Only one dealer in Rochester, though.

Other US cars: nothing looks too good.

Right now I am leaning toward the Golf or GLC.  Does anyone have
experience with any of these cars in their current versions?
Do you have other suggestions?
I've been reading Consumer Report, Road & track, Car & Driver, etc.
The enthusiast magazines love the Golf, especially the GTI (too rich
for my blood, but it seems real nice).  The Mazda 626 is highly-regarded,
but I haven't found anything on the GLC.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Please reply to me (copy to the net if you want),
as I am not a regular net.auto reader.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (03/12/85)

>Desirable features:  Low cost, good handling, peppiness,
>      high reliability.
>Don't really care about: Lots of fancy equipment, blinding speed,
>     room for more than two adults except occasionally.

  Hi, I also need some advice about choosing a car.  My problem
is that I can never decide what I want.  Can anyone give me
suggestions and comments on the following?

  a)  Civic :  is the 1.3l engine too small?  Are the dealers still
      gouging?
  b)  Ford Escort :  new ones with the 1.9l engine, anyone have one?
  c)  Chevy S-10 : the base model

  I think that's all.  I think the next thing I should do is go down
to the dealers, but I want to know some opinions of other consumers
before listening to the sales pitches...  Thanks!

                                             Clare

gdo@aluxz.UUCP (ODONNELL) (03/12/85)

> >Desirable features:  Low cost, good handling, peppiness,
> >      high reliability.
> >Don't really care about: Lots of fancy equipment, blinding speed,
> >     room for more than two adults except occasionally.
>
>   Hi, I also need some advice about choosing a car.  My problem
> is that I can never decide what I want.  Can anyone give me
> suggestions and comments on the following?
>
>   a)  Civic :  is the 1.3l engine too small?  Are the dealers still
>       gouging?
>   b)  Ford Escort :  new ones with the 1.9l engine, anyone have one?
>   c)  Chevy S-10 : the base model
>
>   I think that's all.  I think the next thing I should do is go down
> to the dealers, but I want to know some opinions of other consumers
> before listening to the sales pitches...  Thanks!
>
>                                              Clare

  I'm one of the 9 out of 10 Ford Escort owners who will buy another.
It's a comfortable car for a big driver (I'm 6'3" and 270lbs), it's
inexpensive to buy and operate, and from my experience so far, it's
very reliable.  I own an 82 with 66000 miles on it and it's still running
strong after only ONE return to the shop since purchasing it 3 years ago.
I don't know about the new 1.9L engines, mine has the 1.6L California
style engine.   I have a friend who doesn't care much for his S-10.
My wife drives a 1984 Chrysler Laser and we think it's a great car.
  These are only a few opinions in a world of billions, how about anybody else.
         -- Glenn O'Donnell (AT&T Bell Laboratories - Allentown, PA)

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (04/07/85)

> Hi, I also need some advice about choosing a car.  My problem
> is that I can never decide what I want.  Can anyone give me
> suggestions and comments on the following?

I like Hondas... they are engineered to last.  I put 137,000 miles on
my first Honda Civic without a SINGLE mechanical failure.  Of course
when it DID go, everything went all at once... head gasket, fuel and
water pump, etc.  But how many (yuk spit wretch) american cars can make
that claim?

Interior of the Civics isn't luxurious... but the attention to good
enginering and ergonomics is impressive.  Although mostly plastic,
these cars don't feel like they're made of cheap plastic.

>   a)  Civic :  is the 1.3l engine too small?  Are the dealers still
>       gouging?

Depends.  You don't get the pep of a 928S... but it's reasonable for
basic transportation.  If you want a little more get up and go... try
the 1.8 liter engine in the Prelude or Accord models.  At best I think
Civics have 1.5 liter engines.

Beware of price gouging.  Insist on close to suggested retail price
now that the import trade restrictions have been lifted.  Beware
of cheap dealer add-ons.  Dealers will try to slap $1,000 bucks of
cheap add-ons to make up their margins.

>   b)  Ford Escort :  new ones with the 1.9l engine, anyone have one?
>   c)  Chevy S-10 : the base model
>
> I think that's all.  I think the next thing I should do is go down
> to the dealers, but I want to know some opinions of other consumers
> before listening to the sales pitches...  Thanks!

I'm a snob.  I wouldn't touch an american car.  I snear in contempt
when I see a Chevette.  Neither would I touch something like a Renault
Allience (made by AMC).  Mazda's are hardly worth the money in my
opinion either.

Bye bye.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And he made the stars, too, and the world is one of the stars"

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (04/10/85)

In article <> root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:

>Beware of price gouging.  Insist on close to suggested retail price
>now that the import trade restrictions have been lifted.  Beware
>of cheap dealer add-ons.  Dealers will try to slap $1,000 bucks of
>cheap add-ons to make up their margins.

>UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
>ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

   I was able to get a Chevy Spectrum (made by Isuzu) over $700 under
   list price with no dealer add-ons at a volume dealer in Philadelphia.
   This was on March 30, the day before import quotas were lifted.
   Shop around, shop around, shop around and BE FIRM.

                                            Clare