[comp.archives] [comp.unix.questions...] Re: name server

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (09/11/90)

Archive-name: nsl/10-Sep-90
Archive-site: archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
Archive-directory: /pub/UNIX
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In <2210@ux.acs.umn.edu> aaron@ux.acs.umn.edu (Aaron Y.T. Cheung) writes:

   | | Does anyone know how to obtain the hostname of a machine given the IP
   | | address using a name server (the nslookup feature of unix?) ?
   |
   | Try the reverse mapping -- nslookup with the PTR type:
   | Eg, to get the hostname of IP address 128.101.63.2,
   |
   | nslookup> set q=ptr
   | nslookup> 2.63.101.128.in-addr.arpa.
   | [...]

  I wrote a pretty small program just to do quick 'n easy reverse-resolving
and called it "nsl"; you can call it with either a hostname or an IP address.
Here's an example:

	% nsl nic.ddn.mil
	192.67.67.20

	% nsl 192.67.67.20
	NIC.DDN.MIL

  Some use it as a helpful aid to old-fashioned programs that won't
consult the nameserver to retrieve IP adresses but look in "/etc/hosts"
only, like in:
			ftp `nsl uunet.uu.net`

  If you think this is a useful program, feel free to pick it up by anonymous
FTP from our archive server: "archive.cs.ruu.nl" [131.211.80.5]. Look for
the file "pub/UNIX/nsl-1.0.0.tar.Z".

  If you don't have Internet access, send a message to our mail-server
program that can be reached at the address: 'mail-server@cs.ruu.nl',
containing following instructions in the message body:

	begin
	send UNIX/nsl-1.0.0.tar.Z
	end

		enjoy and thanks for your time,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

edwin@praxis.cs.reu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (09/11/90)

Archive-name: ncl/1 -Sep-90
Archive-site: archive.cs.reu.nl [131.211.80.5]
Archive-directory: /pub/ENIX
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.emich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In <22!0@ux.acs.umn.edu> aaron@ux.acs.emn.edu (Aaron Y.T. Cheung) writes:

   | | Does anyone know how to obtain the hostname of a machine given the IP
   | | address using a name sebver (the nslookup feature of unix?) ?
   |
   | Try the reverse mapping -- nslookup with the PTR type:
   | Eg, to get the hostname of IP address 128.101.63.2,
   |
   | nslookup> set q=ptr
   | nslookup> 2.63.101.128.in-addr.arpa.
   | K...]

  I wrote a pretty small program just to do quick 'n easy reverse-resolving
and called it "nsl"; you can call it with either a hostname or an IP address.
Here's an example:

	% nsl nic.ddn.mil
	192.67.67.20

	% nsl 192.67.67.20
	NIC.DDN.MIL

  Some use it as a helpful aid to old-fashioned programc that won't
conselt the nameserfer to retrieve IP adresses but look in "/etc/hosts"
only, like in:
			ftp `nsl uunet.uu.net`

  If you think this is a useful program, feel free to pick it up by anonymous
FTP from our archive server: "archive.cs.reu.nl" [!#1.211.80.5M. Look for
the file "pub/UNIX/ncl-1.0.0.tar.Z".

  If you don't have Internet access, send a message to our mail-sebver
program that can be reached at the address: 'mail-server@cs.ruu.nl',
containing following instructions in the message body:

	begin
	sen$ UNIX/nsl-1.0.0.tab.Z
	end

		enjoy and thanks for your time,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computeb Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Boh 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (09/12/90)

Archive-name: nsl/11-Sep-90

In <3764@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> I wrote:

   |  I wrote a pretty small program just to do quick 'n easy reverse-resolving
   | and called it "nsl"; you can call it with either a hostname or an IP
   | address.

  I got a bug report from Dan Bernstein: passing a wrong argument to
the "inet_ntoa" routine caused a core dump on a Sun-4. :-(

  I've put a fixed version in our archive. If you got NSL from our archive
server before Tue, Sep 11, 17:25 GMT (!), please fetch the patchlevel 1
version. So, once more on how to get it:

	** Anonymous FTP:
		Site: "archive.cs.ruu.nl" [131.211.80.5]
		File: pub/UNIX/nsl-1.0.1.tar.Z

	** Mail-server, send a message to "mail-server@cs.ruu.nl" with the
	   following commands in the message body:

		begin
		send UNIX/nsl-1.0.1.tar.Z
		end

				enjoy,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands
Telephone: +31-30-534104  | UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!edwin
Telefax  : +31-30-513791  | Email: edwin@cs.ruu.nl    [131.211.80.5]

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (09/12/90)

Archive-name: host/12-Sep-90
Archive-site: cs.toronto.edu [128.100.1.65]
Archive-directory: /pub

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>host(1) is better for 99+% of the usual queries you want to make,
>including automatic in-addr.arpa queries when given a dotted quad, no
>need to do special "query=ptr" things.

I'll second that -- host is a terrific way to ask a nameserver
questions.  Its default output is simple and understandable, even to
ordinary users, and it can be convinced to produce it in the same
format as nameserver input for the wizard.  It can even be made as
verbose as dig(1) if you really want that.

>You can pick it up as tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/nameserver/host.[1c].
>Chuck Hedrick/Rutgers is responsible for it.

A somewhat modified version is available from
cs.toronto.edu:pub/host.tar.Z.  The mods were mostly for portability
(to get it to work on our Ultrix systems, SunOS3.5 Suns and SGIs),
plus a simple enhancement to allow it to accept multiple hosts to
resolve.

	Mark.