[net.followup] English BEER

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/07/85)

> The very
> worst English BEER (Watney's) is better than the average American
> beer.  Also they don't drink it warm (70+ F) but at room temperature
> (55-60 F) ...
> --
> Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)

And they all wear sweaters and overcoats while they do it ...  :-)
--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (06/07/85)

[!]
What seems to have brought on this fevered defense of ye olde english BEER
was my innocent remark that I was looking forward to finding out for
myself in a couple of weeks. I didn't say it tasted bad, only that I had
heard that it did.
I must say, however, that I am not looking forward to it as eagerly as I had
been.  It has struck me that all these english types raised on it seem to have
developed a taste for piss. One guy talks about cat piss, another about
gnat (!) piss. They are using these things as measurement reference standards.
If english BEER drives you to <that> it must really be something <awful>!
(|-))

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

shimell@stc.UUCP (Dave Shimell) (06/14/85)

In article <203@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>> The very
>> worst English BEER (Watney's) is better than the average American
>> beer.  Also they don't drink it warm (70+ F) but at room temperature
>> (55-60 F) ...
>> --
>> Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
>
>And they all wear sweaters and overcoats while they do it ...  :-)

	May I suggest that this very important discussion is moved
	to the correct news group:

		net.religion		:-)
--

Regards,
Dave Shimell.  <shimell@stc.UUCP>

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (06/16/85)

I  think there is a confusion between beer (as in ***-piss from pressure
barrels, all pasteurised and whatever else they do to it) and  beer  (as
in  the  *real* stuff, gravity fed or hand pumped from the barrel, still
living with floating bits to prove it). Watneys Red  Barrel  is  in  the
former  category (even if Watneys say otherwise) but you are best to try
small local breweries. Our local one (Shepherd Neame of Faversham) has a
high hop content if you like bitter beer.

I have no connection with Shepherd Neame (or Watneys!).
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc