[comp.archives] [news.software.nn] How to get nn via E-mail

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (09/30/90)

Archive-name: nn/29-Sep-90
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

jeff@cjsa.wa.com (Jeffery Small) writes:

>The last time I checked, (about 4 weeks ago) the East Coast NN Archive
>server nn-arc@stiatl did not have the patches for nn version 6.4.  Am
>I wrong about this?  Is this archive still being maintained?  I was
>unable to contact the administrator by phone to confirm the status.

I have not spoken to Paul for a long time, but as far as I know
the "East Coast NN Archive" which served its purpose very well for
release 6.3 is not updated with release 6.4, and there really isn't
a need for it anymore since there are several better connected (IP)
servers carrying nn release 6.4.

Here is my current list (a few addresses are missing, but these
should be sufficient for the time being):

How to get nn release 6.4 by Email
----------------------------------

This is a list of places where you can get nn via Email if you ask
politely.  Please be considerate, and don't over-use these services.
If people start using them to retrieve hundreds of megabytes of files,
they will probably disappear.

US
--

There is an archive server at Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA.
To use the archive server, you can send mail to netlib@dimacs.rutgers.edu,

There is also an archive server at the address netlib@mthvax.cs.miami.edu.

There are a couple of sites that will perform general FTP retrievals
for you in response to a mail query.  For information on using
one of them, send a message like this:

    To: info-server@cs.net	( I think this is closed down currently )

    request: info
    topic: help-ftp
    request: end

And for info on another one, send this:

    To: bitftp@pucc.bitnet

    help

UK only
-------

uk.ac.bath|Bath University Computing Services:
	address=info-server@bath.ac.uk:mode=automatic:type=1

EUROPE / NL
-----------

Mail to: mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server)

Contact: Edwin Kremer <edwin@cs.ruu.nl>

Note that compressed files will be sent UUEncoded by default; we use the
UUE that was posted to the net some time ago.

The mail server understands a couple of commands, all commands must be in
the message body. The first thing you might want to do is ask it for help:
	send HELP

A complete "ls -lR" listing of the archive is kept in the top-level
directory, it will be updated every night. To get it, say:
	send ls-lR.Z

In every subdirectory you'll find a "INDEX" file, describing the contents
of that directory. So, to find out what's in the NN-6.4 directory, say:
	send NN-6.4/INDEX

Assume you want to get NN 6.4 patch #3, and part 20 of the 22 parts
distributed to comp.sources.unix:
	send NN-6.4/PATCHES/patch3.Z
	send NN-6.4/part20
	end

The "end" is used to aviod problems if your mailer appends your fancy
signature.  This will prevent "unknown command" messages from the
mail-server program.

--
Kim F. Storm  <storm@texas.dk>		No news is good news,
Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark		  but nn is better!