[comp.archives] [sci.lang.japan] Re: Nemacs 3.3.1

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (10/01/90)

Archive-name: wnn/28-Sep-90
Archive-site: clover.ucdavis.edu [128.120.57.1]
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <2706@tantalum.UUCP> jamii@oxygen.uucp (Jamii K. Corley) writes:

>  I'm trying to learn to use nemacs. We've built version 3.3.1 with some
>success and I'm been slowly working my way through the SKK tutorial. I have
>a couple of questions for anyone who uses nemacs. Am I correct in thinking
>that SKK uses the skk-jisho for kana to kanji conversion rather than talking
>to Wnn?

Yes.

SKK and Egg/Wnn are alternate input and conversion systems.

If you got an SKK with your nemacs distribution, it may be an older
version such as 2.25, which consists of a dictionary file plus some
Emacs lisp files.  Installing it is simple - byte-compile and load the
code, and copy the dictionary into ~/.skkjisyo.

However, you might prefer to fetch a newer version of SKK.  I use 3.47.
In that version, the dictionary has become so large (roughly doubled
in size) that the SKK system just reads in an abbreviated private dictionary
and if the desired kanji are not found there then it contacts a
skk-server daemon to look it up in the full-size dictionary.
A single instance of the daemon serves everybody.

>I had thought I'd heard of a kana to kanji conversion link using the
>Wnn package, called the Egg? Does that exist for R11V4? If so, where would I
>look to find it? Does it need to be built at the same time as nemacs?

Wnn is a conversion server daemon.  It operates differently from SKK in
that, where SKK requires that the user demarcate each word for conversion,
Wnn knows enough grammar to recognize word boundaries, conjugational endings,
pre- and suffixes, etc., and so can convert blocks of text.

Egg is a Nemacs-resident front end that provides kana input+conversion,
and uses Wnn for kanji conversion.  Egg consists of Lisp files plus
some C code that must be compiled into your Nemacs when you build it.
You already have all the necessary files, just edit the file
src/nconfig.h to define the symbol EGG and a symbol describing which
WNN version you will use, then remake Nemacs.

Wnn 4.0.3 is distributed with X11R4.  It is also available, along with
SKK 3.47, by anonymous ftp from clover.ucdavis.edu.
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu