From:         "<Postmodern Culture> Editors" <PMC@NCSUVM.BITNET>
Subject:      After the Flood

To our subscribers:

     On Sunday, the 30th of September, we distributed our first
issue of _Postmodern Culture_; we had some trouble sending the
longest item in the issue, which was Andrew Ross's essay.  It
seems to have exceeded the limit our Listserv sets on outgoing
mail, so we've split it into two pieces and will send those soon.
We've revised the Table of Contents (CONTENTS 990) to reflect the
division of Ross's essay; the files which now make up the first
first issue are:
               CONTENTS 990        ACKER 990
               PREFACE 990         BEVERLEY 990
               ROSS-1 990          LARSEN 990
               ROSS-2 990          REVIEWS 990
               HOOKS 990           POP-CULT 990
               KIPNIS 990          POSTFACE 990
               YUDICE 990          NOTICES 990
Altogether, they require 460-490 kilobytes of disk storage space
(depending on media) on a PC, and about the same on a mainframe
virtual disk.
     If you subscribed to the journal after the issue went out, if
you didn't receive items other than Ross, or if you had to discard
items from the first mailing in order to regain control of your
mailbox, you can get whatever you lack by sending the command
               GET [filename filetype] PMC-LIST
This command should be sent as electronic mail to the Listserv
program itself (Internet: LISTSERV@NCSUVM.NCSU.EDU or Bitnet:
LISTSERV@NCSUVM).  For example, to retrieve ACKER 990, you would
send the command
               GET ACKER 990 PMC-LIST
You can retrieve the entire issue by sending the command
               GET * 990 PMC-LIST
and you could retrieve both parts of the Ross essay by sending
the command
               GET ROSS-? 990 PMC-LIST
The Listserv program will respond by sending you the requested
items as files (rather than as mail), and once you receive
notification from Listserv (as mail or as an interactive message)
that the files have been sent, you will need to follow whatever
procedures obtain on your local system for receiving files.  If
you have trouble using these instructions, let us know and we will
try to make sure that you get the files you want.
     We know that the size of the issue has caused some of you
problems, and we will be glad to discuss alternative modes of
distribution for future issues.  We expect our methods and format
to evolve over time, and your suggestions are welcome.
     Finally, we hope you will enjoy the issue, and we look
forward to the feedback on PMC-Talk.

John Unsworth
Elaine Orr
Eyal Amiran