[net.auto] Problems in Blazer 4X4 Transmissions

walt2@ihuxl.UUCP (Walt Kurszewski) (04/10/85)

A friend recently mentioned a problem he has with his '83 Chevy
T-10 (Mini) Blazer.  The transmission seems to have died at 40,000
miles.  This is a 4X4 with a 5 speed manual transmission and on-the-
go 2 to 4 wheel drive shifting.  He reported a slight loss of power
to the dealer but the dealer couldn't find anything wrong.  Five
months later the tranny died a sudden death.  No leaks, no nothing.
The dealer's autopsy reports sudden death due to lack of "grease".
Not transmission fluid, just a thick, black grease.  What grease?
If it runs out of this "grease", why isn't adding this grease in a
maintenance schedule?  Sounds like my buddy's getting a big bowl
of Shaftola for breakfast.

The reason I'm posting this is because I vaguely remember reading
articles about GM tranny problems in 4X4s here about a year ago.
Does anyone have copies of these articles they could mail to me?
(I don't read this group regularly, so please mail any responses.)
Did anyone reading this get served a bowl of Shaftola (have the
same problem with GM 4X4s)?  What did you do about it?

What recourses are available?  The warranty on the drive train was
for 24 months or 24,000 miles and it's got 40,000 miles on it so he's
not covered.  Is there a regional GM complaint center?  National?
Is there anything he can do?

I've been looking for a new car lately, and I'll be paying much
closer attention to the warranty!

Thanks in advance.  Please mail any responses to:

	Walt Kurszewski
	ihnp4!ihuxl!walt2

johnco@mako.UUCP (John Cole) (04/18/85)

In article <1538@ihuxl.UUCP> walt2@ihuxl.UUCP (Walt Kurszewski) writes:

>A friend recently mentioned a problem he has with his '83 Chevy
>T-10 (Mini) Blazer.  The transmission seems to have died at 40,000
>miles.  This is a 4X4 with a 5 speed manual transmission and on-the-
>go 2 to 4 wheel drive shifting.  He reported a slight loss of power
>to the dealer but the dealer couldn't find anything wrong.  Five
>months later the tranny died a sudden death.  No leaks, no nothing.
>The dealer's autopsy reports sudden death due to lack of "grease".
>Not transmission fluid, just a thick, black grease.  What grease?
>If it runs out of this "grease", why isn't adding this grease in a
>maintenance schedule?  Sounds like my buddy's getting a big bowl
>of Shaftola for breakfast.

Although my vehicle is an '83 GMC Jimmy, they are the same thing
(slap grille and a few different labels on and, voila! a new brand!). When
I bought the vehicle (new), I noticed that after ~two months, the
5 speed manual transmission made a noise like parts rattling around inside
when the engine was at idle speed. Pushing the clutch in made the noise stop.
The dealer (one of very high repute in our area) told me that the noise was
normal due to the fact that GM uses automatic transmission fluid in the
transmission. Being as how I am not a mechanic by trade, and seeing as how
I cannot keep up on all of the technical journals of the trade, I decided
to take the dealers word as the truth. To date, the transmission still
makes the noise, however the amplitude of the noise does vary. I haven't
noticed any power loss, however. My rig has 33,900 miles on it. I hope I
don't have those kind of problems to look forward to!
    I might add that this vehicle is the rattliest (sp?) vehicle I have
ever owned. I have also experienced the rear main seal problem, and my
tailgate hinge breaking (during highway use ONLY). Besides that, I have
had innumerable other problems which I care not to mention at this time.

	  I plan on selling the vehicle as soon as possible

		Hoping not to experience lack of black grease death;

				John