[comp.archives] [c.s.wanted] Three places where you can anon. ftp the Bible

jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu (Jim Dobbs) (10/13/90)

Archive-name: bible/11-Oct-90
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

My thanks for the speedy responses to my query.  I now may be the
world's leading authority on where to anon. ftp the Bible. :^)
From the volume of email this generated, there seemed to be so much
interest in this that I decided to post the info.
So here's what I found out...

>Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 18:03:23 PDT
>From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
>To: jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu (Jim Dobbs)
>Subject: Re: Bible on disk
>
>wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, in directory PD2:<MSDOS2.BIBLE>
>
>text to KJV.  Seven disks.

This is the one I ftp'ed.  I haven't un-arced the files yet, but it
looks promising. Since these are ARCed files, you need to do an
IMAGE mode transfer.  Two of the files are ASCII, though, so you
had better check first.  I have included more sources, in part because
I really don't know if I can succesfully un-ARC these, and also partly
because this source does EXTREMELY SLOW transfers, so you may want to
try one of the others...
This was no problem for me, though, as I was otherwise occupied with
my VHS library of the Monkees show, including all episodes.
 ;^)  (just kidding...)

>Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 00:21:57 PDT
>From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
>To: jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu
>Subject: Re: Bible on disk - THANKS
>
>The FAQ file for comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc strongly suggests looking on
>SIMTEL20 if you're looking for something PC-related.  I wasn't sure
>if you were working on a PC or not, but I suggested it anyway...

>Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 09:59:46 -0400
>From: bet@bent.mc.duke.edu (Bennett Todd -- gaj)
>To: jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu
>Subject: Re: Bible on disk
>
>Try anon ftp from quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (132.206.3.30). Check in the
>subdirectory pub/bible.
>
>That is the King James -- the copyright has expired on that one. I
>believe the copyright is still in force on the more recent, modern
>translations. However, though its archaeological precision might not be
>the best, the poetry of the King James version is still (in my opinion)
>the best.
>
>It is organized as text, one line per verse (i.e. there are some
>awesomely long lines) -- thus grep(1) will pull verses containing
>keywords. It is broken down in one file per chapter. It includes the
>apocrypha. With the individual files compressed, the way it is stored on
>quiche, it takes roughly 1.7M. All uncompressed it is just shy of 5M.
>
>-Bennett
>bet@orion.mc.duke.edu

>Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 12:39:49 -0500
>From: kca@cbnewsc.UUCP
>Subject: Re: Bible on disk
>Apparently-To: jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu
>
>A list of FTP sites notes that the King James Bible is stored at
>            maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (128.46.135.3)
>I don't know anything about it, including whether it is really there.
>Good Luck,
>**kent
>kca@iwtqg.att.com

These last two are places I haven't tried, but you may want to...
Thanks again to everyone who responded (and so quickly, too.)
King James would probably have loved this...

-Jim Dobbs
--
    ^ -   James C. "Jim" Dobbs - jdobbs@director.beckman.uiuc.edu
  ( O-O   "Brevity is the soul of something-or-other."
     >    - Somebody famous, I dunno...(Bacon? Shakespeare? Who cares?)
     ^    DISCLAIMER - Nobody ever agrees with anything I think.