[comp.archives] [unix-admin] Re: Program to renice jobs

eloranta@tukki.jyu.fi (Jussi Eloranta) (10/22/90)

Archive-name: reallynice/20-Oct-90
Archive-site: jyu.fi [128.214.7.5]
Archive-directory: /pub/local
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Oct19.173229.16217@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>In article <1990Oct19.094659@granada.mit.edu> andrew@granada.mit.edu (Andrew Gunstensen) writes:
>>Is there a good method of renicing jobs automatically once they
>>have exceeded some CPU time limit?  My problem is that we
>>have a large number of (relatively UNIX-clueless) users who
>>tend to run largish background jobs on our Sun network
>>at niceness 0.
>>This noticeably degrades interactive performance.  So we
>>would like to be able to run some program/shell script which
>>would check running jobs and if they have more than (say)
>>15 minutes CPU time and (say) they are not the X server (or
>>other jobs which we will allow to use as much time as they
>>like) then renice them down to some lower priority level.

Look into anon. ftp area @ jyu.fi (/pub/local) there should reallynice.c.Z
That should do the job. This should work with sunos 4.0 without any problems.

Jussi

Jussi Eloranta               Internet(/Bitnet):
University of Jyvaskyla,     eloranta@tukki.jyu.fi
Finland                      [128.214.7.5]