[comp.archives] [alt.security] Re: Unix Password crackers

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (10/22/90)

Archive-name: fastdes/20-Oct-90
Archive-site: uxc.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.50]
Archive-directory: /pub
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

bmanta@blake.u.washington.edu (The Black Manta) writes:

>If anyone has a Unix password cracking program, could you please send it
>to me?  I am looking at doing some consulting and am in need of one or a few.
>Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

There's a pretty decent password cracker in the COPS package (look in the
FastDES directory).  It's available for anon-FTP from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu in
pub/cops.tar.Z .

On a IBM RS6000/540, it runs at 1.64ms per read/encrypt/compare iteration.
It takes 40 seconds per entry to cycle through /usr/dict/words (~24K entries)
and just over 7 minutes per entry to cycle through a wordlist from the OED2
(252K entries).

Btw, the on-line OED2 (750 Mbytes) plus the per-word index (460 Mbytes) is
leased from Oxford University Press.  The educational license is $10K/5 years.
Contact newoed@watsol.waterloo.edu for more information.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910