[net.auto] Digital Dash

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (04/15/85)

I am looking for at a new car and have the option of either a conventinal
dash or a digital dash.  When I was driving the digital demo, I felt that
I had to read the dash whereas with the conventional dash I could just
look at the dash and gather the info.

I'd appreciate comments from those who have a digital dash. Do you like
it?  Would you get another? etc.

Thank y'all in advance.

I don't need a disclaimer, because no one is dumb enough to claim me.
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace
Kent, Wa.

    {uw-beaver|adiron|boeing|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/17/85)

--------
[]
>In article <622@ssc-vax.UUCP> jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) writes:
>
>I am looking for at a new car and have the option of either a conventinal
>dash or a digital dash.  When I was driving the digital demo, I felt that
>I had to read the dash whereas with the conventional dash I could just
>look at the dash and gather the info.

I agree that the "analog" instruments provide quickly-assimilated information,
along with trend info.  Digital instruments are fine for accurate details, but
do you really care that the oil pressure is 47 psi, or just that it's in the
green (normal) range?

I also fly my own plane and would have trouble (probably end up dead) if I had
to figure out the "trend" on a digital airspeed or altimeter.  The needle's
motion is instantly apparent, while it would be difficult to determine the
direction of change of a bunch of digits.  Likewise for engine temps, fuel
pressure, etc.

The only useful digital readouts for aircraft (in my opinion) are fuel flow,
outside air temp, radio tuning, *ground*speed (you don't fly the plane by
groundspeed, but you use it to check winds etc.), distance-to-station.

The Boeing 767 has analog representations of engine gauges on the video
display, along with a digital presentation of the exact number.  You can see
at a glance what's happening, or home-in on the exact values.  Not unlike the
"graphic" tach displays in some cars.
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!"

review@drutx.UUCP (Millham) (04/22/85)

> I agree that the "analog" instruments provide quickly-assimilated information,
> along with trend info.  Digital instruments are fine for accurate details, but
> do you really care that the oil pressure is 47 psi, or just that it's in the
> green (normal) range?
>
> I also fly my own plane and would have trouble (probably end up dead) if I had
> to figure out the "trend" on a digital airspeed or altimeter.  The needle's
> motion is instantly apparent, while it would be difficult to determine the
> direction of change of a bunch of digits.  Likewise for engine temps, fuel
> pressure, etc.
>
> The only useful digital readouts for aircraft (in my opinion) are fuel flow,
> outside air temp, radio tuning, *ground*speed (you don't fly the plane by
> groundspeed, but you use it to check winds etc.), distance-to-station.

Chrysler electronic dashboards only display the speed of the car as
digits. The rest of the gauges (including the tack) are "bar graph" type
displays. I find that this dash is easier to read than an analog
gauges. It's nice to glance down and see that I'm doing 82 MPH
(opps, I mean 54). As to sudden changing speeds, I don't need a
needle moving around to tell me if I'm speeding up or slowing down.
I would, however, like to see along with the "analog" tack a digital
tack also.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.