[net.auto] springs?

chin@ucbvax.ARPA (04/20/85)

From: chin (David Chin)

Now that people understand the basic difference between superchargers and
turbochargers, maybe the knowledgable can enlighten us about springs.  In
particular, what are the pros and cons of constant rate springs (where
F = kx and k is a constant) versus progressive rate springs (where k is not
a constant and instead increases with x)?  Also what are the tradeoffs
involved in higher/lower rate springs (re: potholes and ride) and how does
this translate for progressive rate springs?  Since my car has excessive
nose dive upon hard stopping, I assume the correct solution is higher rate
springs.  So how does one go about determining how much stiffer?  Finally
how do springs rates interact with shocks?

If you are not tired out after answering all the above questions, you might
also throw in some tidbits on shocks like which brands people prefer
(e.g. Koni, KYB, Bilstein, etc.), the pros/cons of gas versus hydraulic
shocks, etc.

			Thanks for the advice,
			David Chin
			chin@BERKELEY
			ucbvax!chin

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/22/85)

I don't know if you want to listen to me since my car has the ride of
a roller skate.

It's a 71 Corvette.  When I upgraded its handling, I went to Chevy.  I
traded up to the F-41 handling package: 500lb/in spring rate front coils,
anti-roll bars front and rear.  I basically ordered parts which were
originally options from the factory.  I don't know much about variable
spring rates, but when your suspension travels as little as this one does,
I doubt it matters.  Potholes and the like are pretty rotten going with this
setup, but it NEVER bottoms out, something that my wimpier, older setup
did a lot.  So, you would probably do well to investigate high performance
versions of your car.

As far as shocks, Konis all around.  And they are amazing.

(signed)
Speed Racer

vuser@druxt.UUCP (GerardenC) (04/22/85)

>From drutx!ihnp4!ucbvax!chin Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969
>Newsgroups: net.auto
>Subject: springs?
>Date: Sat, 20-Apr-85 03:52:22 MST

>From: chin (David Chin)

>Now that people understand the basic difference between superchargers and
>turbochargers, maybe the knowledgable can enlighten us about springs.  In
>particular, what are the pros and cons of constant rate springs (where
>F = kx and k is a constant) versus progressive rate springs (where k is not
>a constant and instead increases with x)?  Also what are the tradeoffs
>involved in higher/lower rate springs (re: potholes and ride) and how does
>this translate for progressive rate springs?  Since my car has excessive
>nose dive upon hard stopping, I assume the correct solution is higher rate
>springs.  So how does one go about determining how much stiffer?  Finally
>how do springs rates interact with shocks?

	The problem of nose dive is not always caused by spring rate or poor
	shocks. Both dive and squat can be caused by improper suspension design.
	the center of gravity in relation to your suspension pickup points will
	determine the attitude of the car during hard acceleration or braking.
	Check a race car engineering book for exact explanations.

>If you are not tired out after answering all the above questions, you might
>also throw in some tidbits on shocks like which brands people prefer
>(e.g. Koni, KYB, Bilstein, etc.), the pros/cons of gas versus hydraulic
>shocks, etc.

	I prefer Koni shocks (adjustable) as they do work as claimed and are
	affordable. I currently have spax ( a British shock) and they do a good
	job , but they seem to leak. I of course dont mind this since the car is
	british (no explaination is necessary)

>			Thanks for the advice,
>			David Chin
>			chin@BERKELEY
>			ucbvax!chin

chuck gerarden
druxt!vuser

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (04/22/85)

>particular, what are the pros and cons of constant rate springs (where
>F = kx and k is a constant) versus progressive rate springs (where k is not
>a constant and instead increases with x)?

With a progressive rate spring the incremental displacement decreases assuming
a constant incremental force.  The advantage is you can load the car with more
weight (all other factors being equal).  Progressive rate springs may improve
handling also, the car should lean less in the extremes.  The best part is that
in most instances you don't realize you have stiffer springs.  The tradeoff is
that progressive rate springs cost more and will not necessarily behave
predictably as they wear.  Assuming the same length spring (linear vs.
progressive) the progressive will flex more within a shorter section thus
stressing (and wearing) that section of the spring faster than with a linear
spring.

I might ask the question, why note include the benefits of the stiffer rate
spring over the entire range?

>Also what are the tradeoffs
>involved in higher/lower rate springs (re: potholes and ride) and how does
>this translate for progressive rate springs?

Higher rate springs impart a rougher ride (all other factors being equal),
for progressive rate springs you would need to know what the displacement
if to know how stiff they are, and therefore have a means of comparison.

>Since my car has excessive
>nose dive upon hard stopping, I assume the correct solution is higher rate
>springs.

I don't agree with your assumption.  Stiffer springs will reduce nosedive
but a more elegant solution would be to regulate brake line pressure front
to back.

>Finally how do springs rates interact with shocks?

Shocks slow down the velocity of springs.  A damper is a device where force
is proportional to velocity ( F=bv ), generally the force and velocity vectors
are opposite in direction.  Thus the shock slows down and evens out the effects
of the springs.

Peter B