[net.auto] who goes 55?

jsk@druor.UUCP (KennedyJS) (04/16/85)

There is nothing wrong with the 55mph speed laws, I do not see what every
one is complaining about.

After all when is the last time anyone obeyed it. Everyone (99.9%) goes
over the speed limit by about 10 to 15 mph. So you are going the speed
that you would like the speed limit raised to now. If it was raised to
65mph, what would most everyone do, go 75 to 80, right. Those 80mph speeds
can be dangerous, especially in states like Colorado, where there is no
longer a requirement for safety inspections. The congress and state
troopers are justified in their 55mph speed limit as long as they don't
enforce it.

Besides most state police do not seem to ticket unless you are going over
65. So keep your radar detector or wife watching the trees for the fuzz
and put the peddle to the metal.

mab@hou5b.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (04/16/85)

>There is nothing wrong with the 55mph speed laws, I do not see what every
>one is complaining about.
>
>After all when is the last time anyone obeyed it. Everyone (99.9%) goes
>over the speed limit by about 10 to 15 mph.
>...The congress and state
>troopers are justified in their 55mph speed limit as long as they don't
>enforce it.
>
>Besides most state police do not seem to ticket unless you are going over
>65. So keep your radar detector or wife watching the trees for the fuzz
>and put the peddle to the metal.

	I wish it was this easy.  In these parts (New York-New Jersey area)
the state troopers are intent on spoiling ones day with a ticket for
speeding.  55 is not reasonable for interstates where a slot of time is wasted
obeying (okay going 65) the law.  We have well designed roads (NJ Turnpike) and
regular safety inspections of cars so why not raise the limit since leaving
it so artificially low only helps the state troopers buy new cars.

	Also a point that is not made usually is that if one goes 65 and gets
a ticket, the fine charged will be the least of your worries.  Your insurance
rates will quickly sky-rocket in these parts (i.e. a $70. ticket will cost
about $1000. in extra insurance premiums).

--
Michael Brochstein     AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
ihnp4!hou5b!mab        (201) 834-3482

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (liz smith) (04/18/85)

> Besides most state police do not seem to ticket unless you are going over
> 65. So keep your radar detector or wife watching the trees for the fuzz
> and put the peddle to the metal.

Hmm...  Perhaps a bit sexist, don't you think?

Liz Smith
lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (04/19/85)

In article <706@druor.UUCP> jsk@druor.UUCP (KennedyJS) writes:

>There is nothing wrong with the 55mph speed laws, I do not see what every
>one is complaining about.

IT'S TOO SLOW!!!

>After all when is the last time anyone obeyed it.

Precisely why it needs to be changed.  All it does is make technical
criminals out of everyone.

> Those 80mph speeds can be dangerous, especially in states like Colorado,
> where there is no longer a requirement for safety inspections.

YES! YES! Let's lower the speed limit so that we can drive unsafe cars!!

Bring back the corvair!  Bring back non-collapsible steering columns!
Bring back gas tanks in the rear of the car! (huh? detroit still
does this? oops!)  Just lower the speed limit to 0.001 mph and
we'll all be safe!!

Snoopy
tektronix!mako!seifert

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (04/23/85)

>>     So keep your radar detector or wife watching the trees for the fuzz
>> and put the peddle to the metal.
>

>Hmm...  Perhaps a bit sexist, don't you think?

You (Liz Smith) would only consider having a husband? :-)
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

Chap with wings there, five rounds rapid!