[net.followup] Selling Apples on the street corner

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (06/19/85)

In article <3865@alice.UUCP> wolit@alice.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) writes:
>The big question this week is, when Reagan urged America's youth to
>emulate the entrepreneurial spirit of those young men who started a
>multi-million dollar high-tech company in their garage, was he
>referring to Apple Computer, which last week layed off 1,200 workers
>and closed three of its six plants, or to Hewlett-Packard, which today
>announced that its 84,000 employees would be furloughed for three days
>next month?  Or perhaps he was talking about Data ("The Soul of a New
>Machine") General, which is firing 1,300 people and closing its U.S.
>plants for five days this summer?
>--
>Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ; 201 582-2998; alice!wolit
>(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

Color me dense. I really don't understand what point wolit@alice is trying
to make. Could it be that working for a multi-billion $ conglomerate that
can absorb the kind of high-tech lethergy we are seeing today has caused
more than a little calousness ("Let them eat cake. . .")? Sure wish my company
had the money to develop a Face Server!

R. L. (Ron) McDaniels . CELERITY COMPUTING . 9692 Via Excelencia Way . San Diego
(619) 271-9940 {decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ron

(Affiliation given because I'm proud to work here)

matt@prism.UUCP (06/22/85)

/**** prism:net.general / alice!wolit /  2:15 pm  Jun 17, 1985 ****/
The big question this week is, when Reagan urged America's youth to
emulate the entrepreneurial spirit of those young men who started a
multi-million dollar high-tech company in their garage, was he
referring to Apple Computer, which last week layed off 1,200 workers
and closed three of its six plants, or to Hewlett-Packard, which today
announced that its 84,000 employees would be furloughed for three days
next month?  Or perhaps he was talking about Data ("The Soul of a New
Machine") General, which is firing 1,300 people and closing its U.S.
plants for five days this summer?
--
Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ; 201 582-2998; alice!wolit
(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

Actually, he was advising them to emulate Jobs and Wozniak by selling black
boxes to steal thousands of dollars in long distance phone calls from AT&T!
:-)