[comp.archives] [unix-pc] Re: more software for the masses

andy@cs.caltech.edu (Andy Fyfe) (11/22/90)

Archive-name: 3b1-gas/21-Nov-90
Archive-site: csvax.cs.caltech.edu [131.215.131.131]
Archive-directory: /pub/3b1
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <4432@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> alex@BlackKiss.acslab.umbc.edu.UUCP (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>	On another note, I built gas (the GNU assembler) for the 3b1.
>
>I would be greatly appreciative of the person who builds gas compatable
>gcc-1.37 and posts the binary for ftp.

I managed to build gcc that uses gas.  That was the easy part, relatively
speaking.  It turns out that gas, as it was distributed, does not get along
well with the 3b1's loader.  So it had to be patched.

On csvax.cs.caltech.edu, there is the file /pub/3b1/gcc-gas.tar.Z which
contains the binaries for gcc and gas, a patch file for gas, and the
configuration file tm-3b1g.h that was used to build gcc.  Hopefully
Lenny will be able to get this file transferred to OSU for the world to
get access to it.

-------

While I'm here, I'll give my views on the great newsgroup name change.  I
suggested in another posting that the group should be comp.sys.att.3b1.
My reasoning is the following:  the existence of equivalent machines (from
Motorola, etc.) notwithstanding, the purpose of the newsgroup is primarily
to support a particular AT&T machine.  This is reflected, if nowhere else,
in the choice of "3b1" -- an AT&T designation -- to be used in the
newsgroup name.  It seems strange to me to argue that the best name for
the group is "3b1" while arguing that it is not appropriate to make the
newsgroup a subgroup of comp.sys.att.  If there's a real concern that,
say, Convergent machines will be left out if the newgroup is a subgroup of
comp.sys.att, then maybe the name of choice should be comp.sys.safari.

Andy Fyfe					andy@cs.caltech.edu