[net.auto] Do 4WDs wear front tires more?

dave@ihu1h.UUCP (Dave Miller) (04/15/85)

I have noticed the front tires on my 1983 full sized Bronco wearing more
on the outside (of the vehicle) than the inside. This was after 15,000
miles of driving in town with the front hubs mostly unlocked. I
suspected the "toe in" to be set wrong, so I scheduled an alignment.
They reported the front end was within factory specs and then tried to
sell me new shocks. I declined.

The man in the pit told me that this is common with 4WD. Is this true?

Dave Miller ihu1h!dave x3791

jeepcj2a@fluke.UUCP (Dale Chaudiere) (04/19/85)

> I have noticed the front tires on my 1983 full sized Bronco wearing more
> on the outside (of the vehicle) than the inside. This was after 15,000
> miles of driving in town with the front hubs mostly unlocked. I
> suspected the "toe in" to be set wrong, so I scheduled an alignment.
> They reported the front end was within factory specs and then tried to
> sell me new shocks. I declined.
>
> The man in the pit told me that this is common with 4WD. Is this true?
>
> Dave Miller ihu1h!dave x3791

Yes, I believe your front axle is the type that allows each side to move up
and down independently via an inboard pivot point (not true independent
suspension).  Like 4WD vehicles with solid axles this does not allow constant
"proper" contact of tire surface with road during turns and over bumps.
Result:
difference in tire wear than rear or 2WD with independent suspension.  2WD and
some of the smaller 4WD use A arms to keep the contact correct.

Hint: rotate

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (04/24/85)

In article <542@ihu1h.UUCP> dave@ihu1h.UUCP (Dave Miller) writes:
>I have noticed the front tires on my 1983 full sized Bronco wearing more
>on the outside (of the vehicle) than the inside.
>The man in the pit told me that this is common with 4WD. Is this true?

I don't know about "common", but your problem is not unique.  My Blazer
has the same symptoms. ('84, full size)

Dan Messinger
DSC
ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!dan