[comp.archives] [alt.bbs.internet] Re: Welcome to alt.bbs.internet

pen@lysator.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) (11/26/90)

Archive-name: lyskom/24-Nov-90
Archive-site: nanny.lysator.liu.se [130.236.254.13]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

karrer@aludra.usc.edu (Anthony Karrer) writes:

>Why don't we start with a list of internet BBSes?  You mention several,
>but I think that many of us have never dealt with them and do not
>know their internet addresses.

We are developing a conferencing system currently nicknamed LysKOM. It has
not yet reached beta status, but we are running a test server on one of
our machines. (We are in the hope of releasing a first version of it this
spring, probably using a "copyleft" approach much like the GNU copyleft).

To access this system one need to have a special client. The main reason
for this approach is to offload the server from a lot of mundane tasks
and allow users to have a wide variety of interfaces. There is currently
only one working client which is written in Gnu Emacs Elisp code. Another
client (which will be standalone) is in the final stage of getting finished.
There are plans for X-Windows based and 'nn'-like clients.

(I might add that the test server's database and the elisp client is in
99.99% swedish language...) If there is any interrest in an english-language
database, then please let us know. Anyway, an alpha-version (v0.16) of the
elisp client is available at 'nanny.lysator.liu.se. (130.236.254.13). But
please note that this client uses swedish commands! (The standalone client
will be multilingual (using a definition file for various languages) when
it has been finished).

Send mail to 'kom@lysator.liu.se'.

/Peter
--
Peter Eriksson                                              pen@lysator.liu.se
Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen