[comp.archives] [rec.music.synth] Re: MIDIScope

dpm@palm25.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) (12/08/90)

Archive-name: midi/software/midilib/1990-12-07
Archive: ucsd.edu:/midi/software/amiga/midilib20.zoo [128.54.16.1]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

>In article <113656.14430@timbuk.cray.com> dpm@palm25.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) writes:
>>In article <76143@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (bennie colyer) writes:
>>>  {My original message deleted...}
>>Hmmmm, there should be a midi-scope program on the Utilities disk that came
>>with your Music-X package.  The manual even mentions this program in regards
>>to creating protocols.   Did MicroIllusions send you an incomplete package???
>>

>>Don Maghrak
>>dpm@palm.cray.com
>
>I know about the "Lookout" program.  But it has one small
>disadvantage...  That is that it only displays data and activates
>it'self when you are actaully using a Music-X protocol.  Useful, but
>kinda frustrating.

You could try the midilib2.0 package ( I think it is available by anon ftp
from ucsd.edu or abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov ).  It has a nice little set of utilities
which does include a midi-monitor program.  I believe that the midilib has a
problem running at the same time a Music-X though ( at least with v1.1 you can
now properly suspend Music-X and use the serial port thus allowing you to use
the port for midi.library).  If you need an ed/librarian for the SY77, I would
wait until there is one available from Dr. T's.  I use the D110 and K5 ed/lib's
from them and can have Music-X, and both editors running at the same time
(nice for changing patches on the fly etc., I can even run MusicMouse at the
same time).  If you do go the commercial route, try to make sure that the
ed/lib runs without having to suspend Music-X.  Hopefully there might be what
you need on the upcoming protocols disk from MicroIllusions.

Don Maghrak
dpm@palm.cray.com