[comp.archives] [cad] Re: Info on how to get the latest Spice3

ricks@puligny-montrachet.objy.com (Rick L. Spickelmier) (12/10/90)

Archive-name: lsi/circuit-simulator/spice/1990-12-09
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

Jeff Forbes writes:
> I fail to see how giving temporary ftp accounts takes more time than
> making copies of tapes and disks. I suspect that the real reason is that
> Berekely wants $250.00. If that is the case why not just say so instead
> of telling us about staff limitations.

When at Berkeley I created temporary ftp accounts for SPICE and the
OCTTOOLS in order to get new releases out as soon as possible.  However,
I found myself spending far too much of my time dealing with collecting
and verifying letters, responding to requests from outside of the US
and Canada, creating accounts, and other such administration.  This service
was in addition to (and totally separate from) what our software office
did in terms of making and shipping tapes (by the way, the $250 goes for
staff to do tape making, the software office is non-profit).  When I left
the University the new SPICE administrator had a decision to make as to
whether he wanted to waste his time administering ftp accounts or do SPICE
research and development and leave the software office to deal with
distribution of SPICE.

So the staff limitation was that I left.

--

	    Rick L. Spickelmier
	    Objectivity, Inc.

	    ricks@berkeley.edu, ricks@objy.com