[net.auto] Superchargers

loco@ttidcb.UUCP (CM Dev. Group ) (04/23/85)

>Well, they sort of do the same	thing but the major difference is that
>a supercharger	forces outside air down	the engine's throat (in a carburated
>engine, the supercharger sits above the carb),

Not on a "jimmy" I've ever seen.  The blower bolts almost directly to the
head via a small adapter manafold.  Ones that use carbs	have them mounted
right on top of	the blower, as if it were a manifold.  Since carbs require
vacuum to meter	fuel, I	don't see how it could be any other way.

	    -Pete-

------------------------------------
|				   |
| "Jura nyy ryfr snvyf, shpx vg!"  |
|				   |
------------------------------------

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (04/25/85)

It looks like efforts are being made to dispel some of the mistaken
notions about the operation of {turbo,super}chargers, but there are
still a few floating around so I thought I'd put in my 50 cents
worth (inflation, y'know).

A *charger will work on either side of the carburetor.  The pressure
differential which causes fuel to flow throught the carburetor jets
is created somewhat artificially in blow-through installations by
using the increased air pressure on the other side of the fuel, i.e.
venting the carb fuel bowl to the *charger output rather than to the
ambient atmospheric pressure.

The decision to use a blow-through or a draw-through setup is based
on whether the *charger can stand backfiring through it.  If it's a
blow-through design, it doesn't usually have to; if it's a draw-
through, it does.

The blow-through design also tends to be a little cheaper, because
the plumbing between the *charger and the carb doesn't have to be
fuel-resistant, while it does in the draw-through design.

Other design factors which are affected by the choice:

      + Blow-through designs allow the carb to be much closer to the
	intake ports, which decreases the possibility of fuel preci-
	pitating out of the mixture.

      + Draw-through designs feed the mixture through the compression
	process, which helps some in atomizing the fuel (as above,
	less precipitation).

      + Intercooled blow-through designs (assuming the intercooler is
	between the *charger and the carb) present cooler air to the
	carb, which may or may not help atomization (can anybody give
	me help here?  I'm just stating this as a difference, because
	I don't know whether it would be an advantage or a disadvantage).

      + Intercooled draw-through designs may worsen the precipitation
	problem - again, I'd like some more input.

There are lots of little details that determine the difference in per-
formance between the two kinds of *chargers.  The main functional dif-
ference is that superchargers are *always* on, while turbos have to be
"wound up" before they start boosting.  The two most common solutions
to turbo lag are (a) decreasing the mass of the turbine, and (b) pro-
viding a "closed loop" to keep the turbine spinning quickly, and bypas-
sing the turbine at small throttle openings.  Many V-engine turbo
applications (particularly in racing engines) use option a with two
small turbos, which is easily done because the exhaust ports are located
on opposite sides of the block.

Anyway.  This has gotten pretty long-winded (long-fingered?) so I'll
leave well enough alone.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who could
give more information on the practical differences between blow-through
and draw-through designs.

				Phil Kos
				The Johns Hopkins Hospital
				...!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!phil

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (04/25/85)

(Referring to superchargers vs turbochargers):
>>Well, they sort of do the same thing but the major difference is that
>>a supercharger forces outside air down the engine's throat (in a carburated
>>engine, the supercharger sits above the carb),

(Referring to a GMC roots type supercharger):
>Not on a "jimmy" I've ever seen.  The blower bolts almost directly to the
>head via a small adapter manafold.  Ones that use carbs have them mounted
>right on top of the blower, as if it were a manifold.  Since carbs require
>vacuum to meter fuel, I don't see how it could be any other way.

The relative position or type of fuel induction system has nothing to do
with whether a system is a turbocharger or a supercharger. (see reprint
of Popular Science article elsewhere in this newsgroup).
Most drag racing engines using roots type blowers inject some or all of
the fuel ahead of the supercharger as the denser fuel/air mixture helps
seal the clearances in the blower and make it run more efficiently.
The Paxton supercharger, which is an after market unit blows air
through the existing carburetor on an engine. The carburetor must be
placed inside a pressurized box or the carburetors rebuilt so that the
carb doesn't leak from the increased internal pressure.
Turbocharger systems can have the fuel inducted ahead of the unit
or use port injection.
In an earlier item I said that a roots type blower on a drag engine
would eat up 35-50 HP just to drive it. Someone wrote me to ask if
this figure was correct for a Honda V65 motorcycle conversion a company
in Calif. is now selling. I was referring to a 400+ CI V8 running
12-15 lbs. boost. On a 65 CI engine intended for street use (~8-10
lbs boost), the power used to drive the unit would be substantially
less.
Finally, I was questioned by the same party as to my statement about
turbo lag and rotor design, I will say that placing the turbo as
close to the intake valves as possible and using the exhaust gases
as close to the exhaust valves as possible will result in some
improvement in turbo lag, the greatest improvements have come
as the result of improved rotor and wastegate designs.
design

--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"
"The workstations that made
Wilsonville famous."

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (04/26/85)

A couple of problems with Dave Williams response.

1. It's Rootes not roots for the positive pumping type of
   supercharger as user in GMC 2-stroke cycle Deisels.
   It was named for the inventor? or company in England
   which first used it.  The Rootes group of Sunbeam fame
   finally went out of business.  Well, becoming part of BL
   is the same thing, isn't it?
   BTW the bit in the 'Road Warrier' where Mad Max starts
   his blower is a farce.  Without the blower running
   no air gets through since its a positive displacement
   pump.

2. When blowing over pressure air through a carbutrator,
   the entire carb \must/ be placed in a pressure box.
   The venturi effect works on the fact that due to
   Bernoulli pressure reduction gas is \pushed/ from
   the float bowl into the venturi.  Therefore, the
   pressure in the float bowl must be higher than in
   the venturi.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Holmdel
					(201) 834-3759
					<ariel!>titania!jlw

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (04/29/85)

In article <916@ariel.UUCP> jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) writes:
>A couple of problems with Dave Williams response.
>
>1. It's Rootes not roots for the positive pumping type of
>   supercharger as user in GMC 2-stroke cycle Deisels.
>   It was named for the inventor? or company in England
>   which first used it.  The Rootes group of Sunbeam fame
>   finally went out of business.  Well, becoming part of BL
>   is the same thing, isn't it?
>   BTW the bit in the 'Road Warrier' where Mad Max starts
>   his blower is a farce.  Without the blower running
>   no air gets through since its a positive displacement
>   pump.
>
>2. When blowing over pressure air through a carbutrator,
>   the entire carb \must/ be placed in a pressure box.
>   The venturi effect works on the fact that due to
>   Bernoulli pressure reduction gas is \pushed/ from
>   the float bowl into the venturi.  Therefore, the
>   pressure in the float bowl must be higher than in
>   the venturi.

 1. While I may be wrong on the spelling of Rootes, at least
    I spelled carburetor correctly. :-)
    I never mentioned 'Road Warrior' (again, note spelling),
    since I never saw it and could care less. You are correct
    in stating that Rootes type puffer can not be cut in and
    out at will as the tricotial impellers impede the flow
    air.

 2. Wrong Turbo Breath..... fuel is drawn from the float
    bowl to the venturi area due the pressure differential
    caused by the Bernoulli Effect. The pressure in the
    float bowl should be at the same pressure as the
    pressure ahead of the venturi. This can be done by
    pressurizing the carb. The carb can be modified without
    resorting to a pressure box around the carb. Examples
    of this would be the 1954 Kaiser Manhattan with a
    McCulloch supercharger mounted on its six cylinder
    engine. The Paxton units on late 50's Studebaker
    Golden Hawks and the 1957 Ford NASCAR engine using
    a Paxton unit. This will only work for moderate amounts
    boost (about 8 lbs. max.). The pressurized box is the
    better way to go.