[comp.archives] [symbolic-math] Re: MACAULAY

rusin@mp.cs.niu.edu (David Rusin) (12/12/90)

Archive-name: symbolic-math/macaulay/macaulay/1990-12-10
Archive: zariski.harvard.edu:/Macaulay [128.103.28.10]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Dec7.174727.28233@uunet!unhd> dvf@unhd.UUCP (David V Feldman) writes:
>I would appreciate any information concerning the program MACAULAY.  In
>particular, how may I obtain a copy, what platforms are supported, is
>it available by anonymous FTP, what are its capabilities?   E-mail addresses
>for the authors would also be helpful.

Macaulay is available from zariski.harvard.edu (128.103.1.107) via anonymous FTP
I am not certain how much support they will provide, but I note the program has
been around and improved over the last 5 years or so at least.

Macaulay is designed to handle the kinds of computations which arise in
algebraic geometry, commutative ring theory, homological algebra, and the
like. It is an excellent, efficient implementation of Groebner-basis routines.
Typical applications involve finitely-presented modules or ideals over
polynomial rings over a finite field; one may obtain presentations for
kernels, syzygies, resolutions, and so on.

Macaulay takes a couple of meg including the manual, so one ought to think
twice before requesting the file. But given any real reason to use these
capabilities, I think you should run right out and get it. Source code (in C)
is provided, and I understand it can be compiled on a Mac. I also have an
old version which fits in a PC (even an XT).

Dave Rusin (rusin@math.niu.edu)