[net.followup] Leotyne Price for the United Negro College Fund

gts@dmcnh.UUCP (Guy The Schafer) (06/21/85)

Since the mailer can't seem to handle this, and since it is of some
general interest:
From: ihnp4!decvax!ittvax!decvax!ihnp4!oddjob!gargoyle!cs1 (Cheryl Stewart)
Subject: Re: Leotyne Price for the United Negro College Fund

>Are you sure that you want to advertize your bigotry?  Don't you think that
>to do so is to also advertize your stupidity?

MY bigotry?  Am I the one who is doling out money purely on the basis of
race?  No, my misinformed friend, it is the UNCF themselves that do that
as I mentioned in my original posting:
>>It's not just that the UNCF seems proud of their blatent discrimination
>>solely on the basis of race, and wouldn't the feathers fly if someone
>>started the United White Boy's College Fund....

>You are truly amazing--no,
>really, I mean that--truly amazing.  I hope that you become VP of datamedia...

Thank you for wishing for my career advancement.  Yes, I do think I'm pretty
amazing.  Thanks again.

>Don't you see that by
>advertizing your bigotry, you are only hurting yourself?

Why is it, my erudite and smug friend, that you assume I am being bigotted?
I believe it is you who have that problem.  Case and point: you think because
I mention larger than normal lips, that I am nullifying all of black history
and culture.  How can you even conceive of this unless you had some warped
perceptions?

>This is not
>a personal attack;  I do not wish to change your opinions, or even disagree
>with them.  I would only hope that you would exercise more taste and restraint
>in the future...

There is no way to disagree with the fact that Leotyne Price has huge lips and
accentuates this with her carefully enunciated singing--she is an opera
singer after all.  It is this style of singing which I found amusing (being
only marginally interested in opera) and brought to the net's attention.  If
a white opera singer with this same style of singing were to do commercials,
you can bet you'd see a flame from me.  I do not think it is required that
people who state facts be "restrained."
I am willing to admit that "sixteen or seventeen feet of lips" is hyperbole,
but is obviously so.  It is not intended to somehow insult an entire race of
humans (as you claim it must--more evidence of YOUR bigotry), but poke fun
at one individual who emphasizes an already prominent feature of her face.

>...and for heaven's sake, don't hurt yourself and your company.

I post as an individual.  Must every message on the net have a 20 line
disclaimer lest you assume we are all company spokespeople?

| USENET: decvax!sii!dmcnh!gts   |  "It is improper to
| USMail: Guy T. Schafer         |  describe making love
|         14-F Hampshire Drive   |  to one's sister."
|         Nashua, NH  03063      |       - John Irving

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (06/26/85)

Amazing, Guy.  Just amazing.

Must be pretty lonely, huh, since ol' George W. left the fold...