[net.auto] Manditory Seatbelt Laws

robert@nmtvax.UUCP (04/01/85)

I appologize if this has been discussed before but I am in need of
information.

	I have a few questions for the people of North America.

What do you think of manditory seatbelt laws?

Those of you that live in areas that they are in effect:
 	Do you like them?
	Do you obey them?

Those of you in Canada:
	Have there been discussions of possible enactment of these laws
		in Canada?

	I would put my own intrest here but I want to avoid people not
responding.  I would appreciate any response at all.  If you are
afraid of clutering up the net with responses, send them directly to
me.

                                        Thanks all,

                                        Robert Kenyon
                                        ...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!robert
                                        <or any other path you want>

My '61 Bug didn't even have seatbelts.  How could I comply?

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/04/85)

I hate the seatbelt laws.

I always use my seatbelt--even for backing the 'Vette out into the driveway.
But I have always felt that the automobile has always been overlegistated.
This law is just another wonderful way for cops to give out tickets.

- Speed Racer

p.s. Topspeed III is on its way, folks...

2141smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (04/05/85)

> I have always felt that the automobile has always been overlegistated.
> This law is just another wonderful way for cops to give out tickets.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!2141smh

I don't care if you wear a seatbelt or not if you don't use my insurance
company or try to file a claim for personal injury against me.  I have a
right to be protected from personal injury costs of morons that don't use
seat belts.

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/08/85)

You're absolutely right.  I owe it to society and you personally not
to hurt myself.  Right.  First of all, let's throw those car keys
AWAY.  Forget skiing, sky-diving, running (sunstroke, you know), junk
food (arteriosclerosis), too much net reading (brain damage.)

Thanks for turning me on to a new, cleaner and safer way of life.
Really.  I mean it.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (04/08/85)

In article <393@nmtvax.UUCP> robert@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

>What do you think of manditory seatbelt laws?

	Much better than being forced to buy cars with air bags.

>Those of you that live in areas that they are in effect:
>  Do you like them?

	Like I said, they're fine by me.  I don't mind wearing seat belts.

> Do you obey them?

	Yes.

>Those of you in Canada:
> Have there been discussions of possible enactment of these laws
> in Canada?

There *are* mandatory seatbelt laws in Canada.  AT least in the
provinces of Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec, accounting for 75%
of the Canadian population.  In Ontario seat-belt usage is now up to
around 60% even though seat belt fines are very infrequent.

If your car does not have seat belts (like '61 bugs) you don't have to
wear them.  :-)

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

adm@cbneb.UUCP (04/10/85)

>>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!2141smh
>>
>>I don't care if you wear a seatbelt or not if you don't use my insurance
>>company or try to file a claim for personal injury against me.  I have a
>>right to be protected from personal injury costs of morons that don't use
>>seat belts.
>>/* ---------- */
	I won't file a claim if you don't hit me.

	The logical extension of this moronic logic is to outlaw
all activities that have any negative (increase) effect on insurance
rates.  This would obviously include use of tobacco and liqour and
should certainly extend to skiing, any use of personal transportation
of any kind, mountain climbing or any thing else that makes life worth
living.  Personnally I would be quite happy to pay the increased insurance
rates brought on by the premature deaths of all persons supporting this
legislation.
	The only possible exception would be for the driver.
Keep them where they belong!

			ihnp4!cbnap!tel

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (04/12/85)

>        This would obviously include use of tobacco ...
>or any thing else that makes life worth living.

Tobacco makes life worth living?  It's only effect on me is to block
my lungs entirely.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.  ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

The cameras are still on, let the show begin!
I want to hear them scream, until I'm deaf with pleasure!  I want to see their
limbs twist in excruciating pain!  Ultimately, their blood must gush and
flow through all the gutters of Varos!

slag@charm.UUCP (Peter Rosenthal) (04/29/85)

bug food

	If people were responsible enough to wear seatbelts,
medical costs paid by auto insurance would be lower, and
everybody's rates would be lower.

mrh@aluxz.UUCP (HUDOCK) (04/30/85)

> bug food
>
> 	If people were responsible enough to wear seatbelts,
> medical costs paid by auto insurance would be lower, and
> everybody's rates would be lower.

  I too believe in the TOOTH FAIRY.