[net.auto] '84 vs '85 Corvette handling

jeff@oblio.UUCP (Jeff Buchanan) (04/23/85)

About a year ago, I made the comment in net.auto that because of the
suspension degradation Chevrolet had done to the '85 Corvette, (i.e. softer
springs front and rear) the cornering would be worse than the '84
Corvette.  The really outragous thing is that Chevy not only weakened
the base suspension, they also weakened the Z-51 suspension!  If they
had only softened up the base suspension and left the Z-51 alone,
then everyone could have been happy.  The "creature comfort" people
could have their soft ride and the performance people could have had the
original good suspension, BUT NO!  Chevy decided to force everyone to
get soft suspension.  I said that we would just have to wait to see the
skidpad numbers in the car mags.  I know that at least one such test
was done in Car & Driver, Dec. 1984 issue and the '85 Vette did .84 g's.
Problem is, I don't if the Vette tested had the Z-51 suspension.  If
anyone in net.auto land knows which suspension was tested, please let me
know.  Also, does anyone know of any other skidpad tests done on the '85
Vette?
       The few tests I know of all seem to indicate that the cornering
power of the '85 did suffer, for example the figure of .84 g's would place
it below the cornering force of the only '84 vette I saw tested with
base suspension (.86 g's).  In other words, if the C&D test was with Z-51
suspension, then BASE '84 suspension is superior to '85 Z-51 suspension.
Also, Chevy just stripped themselves of the title of BEST HANDLING
PRODUCTION CAR IN THE WORLD.  In 1984 the Corvette out-handled the
Lambrogini Countach to obtain the title (re: Road & Track, Lambrogini
did .86 g's vs .89 for the '84 Vette in an unbiased test by the same
magazine).  The '85 Vette with Z-51 suspension did only .91 g's
on the GM test track compared to .92 g's for the '85 Lambrogini.  This
was in a test conducted by Chevy, which explains why the numbers are
higher than what the unbiased car mags reported.  Chevy advertized
.95 g's for the '84 Vette with Z-51 suspension, .91 for the '85
with Z-51 suspension.
       As an additional point of reference, the .84 g's would put the
'85 Vette handling down on a level close to a '84 Z-28 Camaro, a car it was
far superior to in handling in 1984.
       If anyone has any addtional information on this subject,
I'd appreciate any comments.
                                 Jeff

bae@fisher.UUCP (Shiva the Destroyer) (04/26/85)

To quote the wizard of Stuttgart: "The only time a car hits .9 g
in cornering is immediately before the driver wipes it."

--
                    Brian A. Ehrmantraut

					Ad Maioram Gloriam Hasturi!

UUCP:   {allegra, astrovax, princeton, twg} !fisher!bae
BELL:   (609) 452-8991 / (609) 734-7761
USnail: 184 Little Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (04/26/85)

> ...  I said that we would just have to wait to see the
> skidpad numbers in the car mags...

> <many numbers .8 to .9 related to "handling">

Let's be realistic here.  A skidpad number DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW
THE CAR HANDLES.  It tells you when it starts to slip on a skid pad.
A soft suspension can turn in great skid pad numbers.  But put that
same soft suspension out on a real road with bumps, and see what happens.

Real corners are not like skid pads.  So to tell how a car handles,
there's only one thing you can do: drive it hard, drive it fast, and
see where it is that YOU start to chicken out.
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/01/85)

In article <204@ucbcad.UUCP> klein@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
>> ...  I said that we would just have to wait to see the
>> skidpad numbers in the car mags...
>
>> <many numbers .8 to .9 related to "handling">
>
>Let's be realistic here.  A skidpad number DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW
>THE CAR HANDLES.  It tells you when it starts to slip on a skid pad.
>A soft suspension can turn in great skid pad numbers.  But put that
>same soft suspension out on a real road with bumps, and see what happens.

There is a tradeoff here.  A stiff suspension will corner flatter,
and will keep the tires closer to vertical. (assuming less than
ideal suspension geometry) This helps raise cornering power.
However, it also causes more weight transfer to the outside tires,
which hurts cornering power. (the inside tires lose more traction
than the outside ones gain)  Also, a stiff suspension cannot follow
bumps in the road surface, which hurts traction. (not a big deal
on a nice smooth skidpad, but very important on a real road.)

Note how I have cleverly avoided saying anything about ride.

        _____
        |___|           the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert